GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Just wondering what 19x9 et41 would look like on a MK7? I may be trading my wheels for a set with these specs, and 235/35's. Just curious about how it will look compared to my current 19x8.5 et45's

It'd look the same as what you've got, with a bit more stretch.

edit: Oops I got offsets backwards. 10mm more poke, gonna need some camber to pull that off.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Cool, thanks. They'll probably rub, eh?

6mm less poke than flipflp, but he runs 2.4 degrees of camber. Without 034 camber mounts or camber plates, yeah they would.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
6mm less poke than flipflp, but he runs 2.4 degrees of camber. Without 034 camber mounts or camber plates, yeah they would.
I agree, that would rub unless you ran really stretched tires. Then again, I didn't have any rubbing at a 9" et45 before camber plates, so unless you were really low it *could* clear. But then there are a lot of factors like tire sidewall profile, how stiff your suspension is to reduce compression, etc. That you might not want to worry about unless you absolutely love the wheels.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Tex Willer

18x9+40 all around with
235/40-18 nexen nfera sur4g
034 dynamic camber plates
Bilstein pss10

Ever so slight rubbing on plastic wheelwell liner on full lock

Would rub fender pretty bad without camber plates

Have not rubbed since camber plates, even on my shitty cancherous roads

Super smooth, daily driveable

Last edited:

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Installed the R32’s this weekend. 18x8.5 ET40 with 10mm spacers up front and 15mm spacers in the rear. No rubbing to my surprise! Was kinda worried about the overall offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Installed the R32’s this weekend. 18x8.5 ET40 with 10mm spacers up front and 15mm spacers in the rear. No rubbing to my surprise! Was kinda worried about the overall offset.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does seem like it should rub.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
That does seem like it should rub.

Shoulda coulda!

I like to separate setups that won't rub (like an 18x8.5 ET45 with a 235/40-18 tire), setups that will definitely rub and are just bad ideas (18x9.5 ET30 with a 255/35-18 tire), and setups that are put together with some understanding that if it rubs, it'll only be in very specific (hopefully) avoidable situations and it's all worth it for a look. If that's what BigJerm44 signed up for, I think he nailed it.

Also remember that with suspension compression causes a natural camber increase as compression increases, so just because a wheel or tire hangs outside the fender by a few MMs parked doesn't automatically mean it rubs all the time.

Pushing offsets and tire sizes is a real risk/reward sort of game, especially if you're not doing it for function in hardcore track day setups. My butt puckers all the time on my daily commute and so far I've been extremely lucky with my setup, no bacon fenders here.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
i installed my rse10s' from neuspeed the other day. 18x8.5 45mm ooffset with 245/35/18 ps4s. lowered on eibach prokit. not even close to rubbing. also have a 5mm spacer on the rear. going to go lower in the future

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I got a little kiss on the 2oclock fender liner bump on my way home Friday. On 18x8 et45 with 235/40 tires, so it just seems weird to me that BigJerm wouldn't on 18x8.5 et30.

I'm lowered about 1" up front.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I got a little kiss on the 2oclock fender liner bump on my way home Friday. On 18x8 et45 with 235/40 tires, so it just seems weird to me that BigJerm wouldn't on 18x8.5 et30.

I'm lowered about 1" up front.

Alignment, tire brand/model, spring rate, shock health, etc. I'm surprised your setup would rub as well, but you'll be the best person to assess why. Your setup isn't significantly more aggressive than stock IMO if you're only lowered 1". A "flush kit" on OEM wheels would be more aggressive, and I ran one of those for 20k miles with zero rubbing.

IMG_20170812_102317 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Thats OEM Cadiz 18x7.5 ET 49 with stock 225/40 tires, 15F/20R spacers, so 5mm more poke up front than your setup now but with a bit less tire.

I'd recommend removing your fender screw, the screw insert and tucking your fender liner above the tab for some extra clearance.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Alignment, tire brand/model, spring rate, shock health, etc. I'm surprised your setup would rub as well, but you'll be the best person to assess why. Your setup isn't significantly more aggressive than stock IMO if you're only lowered 1". A "flush kit" on OEM wheels would be more aggressive, and I ran one of those for 20k miles with zero rubbing.

Thats OEM Cadiz 18x7.5 ET 49 with stock 225/40 tires, 15F/20R spacers, so 5mm more poke up front than your setup now but with a bit less tire.

I'd recommend removing your fender screw, the screw insert and tucking your fender liner above the tab for some extra clearance.

Brand new Koni Sports, just installed last week. But I do need an alignment. Tires are Nokian zLine's (summers) which I've never been able to find specs on. I'll be doing the screw/liner trick when I get around to it, and I'd like to add at least 10mm rear, if not 5mm front as well.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Shoulda coulda!

I like to separate setups that won't rub (like an 18x8.5 ET45 with a 235/40-18 tire), setups that will definitely rub and are just bad ideas (18x9.5 ET30 with a 255/35-18 tire), and setups that are put together with some understanding that if it rubs, it'll only be in very specific (hopefully) avoidable situations and it's all worth it for a look. If that's what BigJerm44 signed up for, I think he nailed it.

Also remember that with suspension compression causes a natural camber increase as compression increases, so just because a wheel or tire hangs outside the fender by a few MMs parked doesn't automatically mean it rubs all the time.

Pushing offsets and tire sizes is a real risk/reward sort of game, especially if you're not doing it for function in hardcore track day setups. My butt puckers all the time on my daily commute and so far I've been extremely lucky with my setup, no bacon fenders here.

I couldn't be happier with the way it sits now. I forgot to update my signature however, as I actually shipped the 235's back in exchange for 225's. Just felt this was a safer bet given the offset situation and I actually light the (very) slight stretch with this setup. I'm lowered on VWR's.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!

IMG_20170812_102317 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

I'm still in aww that you don't rub lol. I'm running the same wheel and tire size, but without spacers. I did the fender screw mod and still had to raise my coilovers up to ensure I wouldn't run on hard bumps. My negative camber up front is definitely not as aggressive as yours so that helps you a lot.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk