GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autotech HPFP DIY/Tips

Navi

Autocross Champion
bringing this back again LOL.. So I caved and bought a HPFP.. not sure if I'll put it in immediately or tune and see if it's needed. I didn't want to need it and not have it during the tuning process. I went with the new option from HPA bc I just don't have as much time as I used to for playing mechanic with my car so I wanted something quick and easy. I went over this thread and got some good info from all the people that contributed but two things confuse me. The VW manual says:

"– Inspect the roller tappet for damages before installing and re‐ place if necessary.
– Insert the roller tappet into the vacuum pump as shown.
– Rotate the crankshaft until the roller tappet is at the lowest
point.
– Insert the high pressure pump in the vacuum pump."

I did not see anyone mention that they actually did inspect the tappet. I DID see someone mention it is not an issue on these engines, so I could skip that since I don't want to fuck that part up. But it looks like all you do is stick a magnet, pull it out, look and put it back??? Or no? And what about the crankshaft part? That's the more pressing question I have... No one has mentioned this at all? Seems like it would be important? I would like to hear input from people who have done this install. Thanks.

Last edited:

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
That's all I did also

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Like diggs said. Take out put back in, i didn't do any sort of rotating or anything.

FineBottledWater

Passed Driver's Ed
I went with HPA HPFP because I did not want to mess with the Autotech install.

My lower fuel line was very stiff. Removing the HPFP was much easier than putting it back in.

My buddy and I had to use a screwdriver's handle and a mallet to tap the HPFP back in the lower fuel line.

It took ~30 minutes without knowing what we were doing.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
I went with HPA HPFP because I did not want to mess with the Autotech install.

My lower fuel line was very stiff. Removing the HPFP was much easier than putting it back in.

My buddy and I had to use a screwdriver's handle and a mallet to tap the HPFP back in the lower fuel line.

It took ~30 minutes without knowing what we were doing.

Isn't the HPA almost twice the cost of the Autotech internals without ebay sale?

I wonder what a shop would charge to install the autotech and if it would still come out cheaper.

There is always this guy too ;) https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47566

Last edited:

Predatorbird

Ready to race!
Isn't the HPA almost twice the cost of the Autotech internals without ebay sale?

I wonder what a shop would charge to install the autotech and if it would still come out cheaper.

There is always this guy too ;) https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47566
I bought the HPA because I don't have a bench vice to properly hold the fuel pump. I'm a little intimidated using the bearing puller, but I also didn't want to pay someone for the install. When the time comes to sell my car, I'll remove all my parts to and go back to stock. I'll be able to throw the stock HPFP back on and sell the HPA to get some of that money back.

FineBottledWater

Passed Driver's Ed

My local shop is 90 minutes away and I need to take a day off work. It would have been great if I can just go with Autotech and have my local guy install it, but I need more than just the HPFP install to make the trip worthwhile.