GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial E85 Ethanol Thread

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Yikes, do you know what your posts read like? As far as attitude and all that? Because you're ramping up to coming off like a real ass, man.
A lot of sarcasm, that’s how they read I hope.

Cuz who needs an eca gauge right, lets just assume our calculations this time which are based on calculations before last time which were based on an assumed number are correct...said a guy who has a nonessential gauge.

:rolleyes:

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Anyone with experience running e85R that is from Sunnco?
Supposedly it’s specifically blended to be exactly e85 vs “standard” pump e85 which we know can vary. A tuner/race shop has it available North Portland off airport way. So it’s not too far away from me and looks to be my most convenient option considering where I live.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Anyone with experience running e85R that is from Sunnco?
Supposedly it’s specifically blended to be exactly e85 vs “standard” pump e85 which we know can vary. A tuner/race shop has it available North Portland off airport way. So it’s not too far away from me and looks to be my most convenient option considering where I live.

I can get same product in az but its like 60$/5gal pale, sold per piece. Never tried it though, i imagine id only use it for drag racing or racing.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Yeah... it’s 6.00/gal for me. I’d just use it for a e30 blend for the ED adjustable map. Think it’s worth it, cause ED 91 oct tunes IMO are lil on the weak side.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The ASTM standard for E85 “flex fuel” is 51-83% by volume.

Depending on the locality, the blend drops in the winter since the fuel is less volatile and makes cold starts more difficult. In the summer, by law, the flex fuel blend cannot exceed 83%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a vial test kit, got exactly 83% for the e85 from a Mobil station next to wife's work before i knew it had to be 83%. Pretty accurate then, even though that whole meniscus thing throws me off.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I got a vial test kit, got exactly 83% for the e85 from a Mobil station next to wife's work before i knew it had to be 83%. Pretty accurate then, even though that whole meniscus thing throws me off.

I don't get the meniscus part. I scrolled back a ways and obviously missed why someone's knee has to do with it.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
My vial was accurate to within 1%. How much is that 83%? I have two stations close to my house both dispensing 51% but one is 2.59$/g and the other is 3.20$/g.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I don't get the meniscus part. I scrolled back a ways and obviously missed why someone's knee has to do with it.
Liquid adhesion to the vial walls creates a curved liquid surface. So you can get two readings. The true one is somewhere in the middle. The narrower the vial, the more painful it gets.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
No intention supporting a true flex fuel, or scrapping the plans to support MPI to allow for full e85?

MPI is still very much on the horizon, and will support whatever blend you tune for. As for Flex fuel (automatically adjusting for fuel based on input from flex-fuel sensor), I believe that's a "no" or "no time soon".

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
Yeah... it’s 6.00/gal for me. I’d just use it for a e30 blend for the ED adjustable map. Think it’s worth it, cause ED 91 oct tunes IMO are lil on the weak side.

I have the ED adjustable file too, what are you going to set your boost, and octane sliders at for the e30 mix?

railroader

Autocross Newbie