GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Theres a few vas 5054a cables on ebay with ODIS 3.0.3 or 4.13, or 4.3, or 4.4. Which version is preferred?

It looks like Win7 is the newest OS that this software will run on?

If you are buying the 5054 to have Jack remotely install appconnect, you technically will not be running the ODIS software. Jack will do that on the other end, so the win7 and ODIS versions don't matter. You will connect to a remote computer and give that computer access to your car via the 5054.

Just make sure to buy a 5054 with OKI chip.

beechfront

question for the experts here. still waiting for parts but will soon be having jack program my retrofit. I'm curious, if once he ties the app-connect fec to my system - will it always be associated with my VIN? So in the event 3 years down the road Jack is not doing this anymore and my mib2 unit fails, will I be able to get everything working thru dealer with another used replacement?

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
question for the experts here. still waiting for parts but will soon be having jack program my retrofit. I'm curious, if once he ties the app-connect fec to my system - will it always be associated with my VIN? So in the event 3 years down the road Jack is not doing this anymore and my mib2 unit fails, will I be able to get everything working thru dealer with another used replacement?

I dont think anyone would be able to say for 100% sure but i would say yes. App-connect is VIN-coded thru VW servers and i think he is just switching the associated VIN on the server. So dealers should be able to still activate to your VIN

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie

I dont think anyone would be able to say for 100% sure but i would say yes. App-connect is VIN-coded thru VW servers and i think he is just switching the associated VIN on the server. So dealers should be able to still activate to your VIN

Immediately after Jack was finished "jacking" my MIB2 setup, I asked him this very question. That was two months ago and I'm still waiting for his reply. Basically, it is what it is. I really wish someone in the USA could figure out how to "jack" these units. :rolleyes:

slider09

Passed Driver's Ed
Immediately after Jack was finished "jacking" my MIB2 setup, I asked him this very question. That was two months ago and I'm still waiting for his reply. Basically, it is what it is. I really wish someone in the USA could figure out how to "jack" these units. :rolleyes:

Where is Jack from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beechfront

I suppose worst case if I have to replace a failed retrofit MIB2 down the road... Dealer should be able to remove CP (right?) but may not be able to re-enable app-connect. At which point I basically have same setup I have today with my MIB1 but with slightly better screen.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Dealer can remove CP and activate bluetooth once again. That's my current setup, as i installed with the functioning bluetooth and carplay (protection enabled) but once i went to dealer for protection removal it disables carplay. To date i have not heard of a single dealer who was able to reactivate carplay.

I imagine if you had to replace an mib2 unit with another mib2 unit in future you would still need someone capable of properly transferring ALL FeCs following protection removal.

saw8414

I looked into getting the legitimate credentials from VW but you (I assume this because they ask on the application) have to be a licensed auto mechanic in your state. If someone in California that meets that requirement wants to fill out the application and give me the login, I will happily poke around and see what I figure out but I can’t guarantee anything.

As far as replacing a retrofit goes, I would assume that once it’s yours it will remain yours. As long as you buy a new unit it should be simple, buying a used one might present some issues if it didn’t have that same FECs associated with it that your failed unit does.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I looked into getting the legitimate credentials from VW but you (I assume this because they ask on the application) have to be a licensed auto mechanic in your state. If someone in California that meets that requirement wants to fill out the application and give me the login, I will happily poke around and see what I figure out but I can’t guarantee anything.

As far as replacing a retrofit goes, I would assume that once it’s yours it will remain yours. As long as you buy a new unit it should be simple, buying a used one might present some issues if it didn’t have that same FECs associated with it that your failed unit does.

It's not as simple as just registering; there is a fee for access to the system.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Yup, and a $100 application fee.

I believe the application fee is $100 and $750/per year diagnostic subscript may also be required. It is intended for for independent automotive repair shops (such as Jack). Probably wise of VW not to let just anyone reprogram keys to VINs, etc. Component protection is an attempt to mitigate theft and reselling of stolen components.

As stated the ApConnect FEC's you purchased through Jack from the FAZIT system are now associated with your VIN in that system. Someone with the necessary competency will be able to reinstall.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
...As stated the ApConnect FEC's you purchased through Jack from the FAZIT system are now associated with your VIN in that system. Someone with the necessary competency will be able to reinstall.

So given that you have a retrofitted unit that was activated and license purchased/registered through Jack, and 3 years from now your unit fails and you buy a replacement unit...

Option 1: Have Jack do everything, except this time you don't need to purchase the App-Connect key.

Option 2: Have the dealer remove CP and activate the FECs your car originally had (Bluetooth, handsfree, etc.) Then have Jack re-enable your App-Connect.

Option 3: Have the dealer do everything.

I assume option 1 and 2 are no problem. Are you referring to a dealer when you say someone with necessary competency, that would be able to do option 3? Or would that someone be another person like Jack?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

beechfront

Are you referring to a dealer when you say someone with necessary competency, that would be able to do option 3? Or would that someone be another person like Jack?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

My question as well. Will it cause VW dealer's head to explode when they see an FEC assigned to a VIN for which that option was never available? Or is it a simple task of re-assigning all FEC's (including app-connect) to replacement unit, in which case dealer will see nothing out of the ordinary and move on.

I'd have no problem having Jack do it again several years down the road if needed, but the question is whether or not he would even be available at that time.