GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

saw8414

Thanks SAW -

VAS showed up today, and Jack was able to connect immediately and 15 minutes later I have sound and carplay!

VAS_Comparison_PIC

One on the left is Saw's, one on the right is mine which did not work.

Glad it worked out for you! Just FYI, those stickers came with the unit but they were not attached, I stuck them on myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beechfront

Glad it worked out for you! Just FYI, those stickers came with the unit but they were not attached, I stuck them on myself./QUOTE]

Ah ok. Mine probably had them but I did not see them. Yours also came with the nice case which was supposed to be included with mine but was not.

We are currently snowed in, but I will get it shipped back to you by Tuesday.

teemmy

Ready to race!
If anyone is interested - I have a VAS 5054 that I can rent out. Shoot me a PM!

Jack is awesome, he just did my coding and now my 2015 has an 8 inch with carplay!

amzx

My God.

There should be a warning at the beginning of this thread that it will consume hours and hours of your life to get through it all, and you’ll STILL come away confused, haha!

Maybe it’s just me and my new Mom brain, trying to process all of this info at 5:00am, but I can’t seem to find the short answer:

Is the first post updated with the current “shopping list” of all parts I’ll need to source in order to make this swap happen?

I have a new-to-me 2015 GSW TDi SEL with Fender audio, bone stock. I love everything about the car (yes, even the leaky pano roof that I’ve already had to service) ....except the infotainment system. Happiness and satisfaction with the car will increase exponentially if I can bring the system up to this decade.

Please assume I know nothing about DIY, because I don’t, much to my shame. I am thankfully married to someone who can spend the afternoon working on such a project if I show up with the required parts in hand (not THOSE parts!), along with an appointment lined up with this Polish superhero named Jack to make it all legit. Please, LORD, let Jack still be in the business of spreading joy.

I just need to be pointed to the complete shopping list from one of you gentle, generous souls. I’m a freaking weirdo and will probably buy new and cry about price later, but I’ll convince myself I’m also paying for peace of mind at this point. Gone are the days of being able to search the salvage yards and scouring eBay for like-new products and hoping that’s what actually shows up.

Side note, I’d love to put in the most obnoxiously large OEM display screen I possibly can, if that makes a difference in the parts acquisition. I’d also like to retain the matching piano black trim look for that true from-factory feeling.

Someone? Anyone? Please help me up my Baby Shark-playing game, I beg you.

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
Is the first post updated with the current “shopping list” of all parts I’ll need to source in order to make this swap happen?

Yes, it is. However, the OP has the SE trim (same here) and you should probably get confirmation from someone who owns an SEL (to see if they could make it all work, including NAV).

When it comes to the screen, there's also the option of acquiring this: https://eurozonetuning.com/products/vw-mk7-golf-gti-golfr-e-golf-8-glass-screen-retrofit-kit instead of the 6.5"

teemmy

Ready to race!
i recommend people contact salvage yards or look on ebay for replacement MIBII units or radio screens - you can find them for a very reasonable price.

I think my MIBII unit was $80 and a salvage yard quoted me $120 for a screen.

kevin2296

Hello friends,

I installed my discover Pro (Yes I receive it back from Jack (Jacek) He is amazing :laugh:) )

I ordered these antenna: 5G6035577B and the DAB+ extent cable (0,3M) but it doesn't fit wel..
My antenna have 2 connections (see picture)

Now I want connect the DAB+ antenna but where do I have to fit these antenna and do I need more cables (a ground)?

And which connection on the antenna I have to use? Only 1 connection or did I ordered a bad antenna or cable?

Thanks for all the help :D

qnz

Car(s)
2015 Golf R, A35 AMG
Jack is a hard person to get a hold of. I've messaged him about doing the removing the cp, swap, etc but he signs on once a week. been trying to get him to schedule some time to do the programming. I know its not his responsibility and hes just helping enthusiasts out, but it makes a case for getting a hacked unit. You wouldn't have to wait on someone else's time.

saw8414

I found it was best to just message him early in the morning PST (remember he is in Poland, check the time difference) and ask if now works. Trying to schedule it was a bit frustrating but the first time I asked “does now work” he was ready and it was done shortly.

qnz

Car(s)
2015 Golf R, A35 AMG
What do you guys do with the old center cubby cable? The one with the yellow and green connectors? The OCD part of my brain wants to pull it out but its taped together pretty good.

saw8414

I would recommend just taping them together and attaching them somewhere that won’t rattle. I forgot to do this before I closed everything up and now it’s getting on my nerves.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
What do you guys do with the old center cubby cable? The one with the yellow and green connectors? The OCD part of my brain wants to pull it out but its taped together pretty good.
I taped the connectors and left it down there in no man's land.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk