GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best lowering springs set up

gs2online

Ready to race!
Hey I have Mk7 on 19x8.5 45est tires 235 35 19. I want to lower it like 1.0 inches what's the best springs for a like factory smooth ride !

Please help !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Plenty of existing threads on this topic already

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Plenty of existing threads on this topic already

But where is the fun in that! ;P

OP - Check the forum section for suspension mods. There is plenty of great info and pics.

IMO, if you want ~1" drop, go for the H&R OE Sport springs and pair with B8 shocks or Koni shocks. Advertised drop is .75", but it will be a bit more, closer to .85-.90 after settle.

Gallery of my car with H&R/B8/18" wheel combo here: https://imgur.com/a/8qAFE

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
But where is the fun in that! ;P

OP - Check the forum section for suspension mods. There is plenty of great info and pics.

IMO, if you want ~1" drop, go for the H&R OE Sport springs and pair with B8 shocks or Koni shocks. Advertised drop is .75", but it will be a bit more, closer to .85-.90 after settle.

Gallery of my car with H&R/B8/18" wheel combo here: https://imgur.com/a/8qAFE

I'm gathering supplies for this now. The h&r springs are already here, but the b8's are, by all accounts, sold out everywhere and several very knowledgeable shop / store owners told me they won't be available again for two months MINIMUM. That's on top of the 4+ months they've already been sold out.

Are the b8's really THAT good? A full set of them and koni are about the same price. Are the bilsteins just so amazingly better that everyone only buys them?

Jeebus!

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Your ride looks perfect at that height, btw. That's what I'm after. I have the sport model wheels. Which are yours? I personally think the stock wheels of every other style except what came on the '17 sport are completely hideous. They look like the blades from a food processor. Trbl.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Your ride looks perfect at that height, btw. That's what I'm after. I have the sport model wheels. Which are yours? I personally think the stock wheels of every other style except what came on the '17 sport are completely hideous. They look like the blades from a food processor. Trbl.

Agreed. Nogaros are awesome. Also, that his ride looks 100% PERFECT at that height. Now I know I'm getting H&R OE Sport Springs and Bilstein B8's :) I was gonna do Emmanuelle Design before

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Are the b8 compatible with dcc? Thanks

Yes and no. Yes if you want to lose the dampening ability of DCC, no if you want to keep it. There are certain sets out there that retain DCC ability.

For example B16 DCC Coilovers

or KW DDC Coilovers

I'm sure you can just get upgraded shocks that work with DCC, these are just the top of the line kits for the car.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Yes and no. Yes if you want to lose the dampening ability of DCC, no if you want to keep it. There are certain sets out there that retain DCC ability.

For example B16 DCC Coilovers

or KW DDC Coilovers

I'm sure you can just get upgraded shocks that work with DCC, these are just the top of the line kits for the car.

Those option are very nice but pricey for me.
I am considering getting the H&R sport mentioned above but not sure if I will have issues with the stock struts, or will they have an impact on the stock struts life span. I also do not want to lose the DCC

Thank you

Thank you

CDM MK7

Ready to race!

Are the b8's really THAT good? A full set of them and koni are about the same price. Are the bilsteins just so amazingly better that everyone only buys them?

Jeebus!

IMO a big part of why people buy them (other than being a very good quality shock) is that they're not adjustable. Some people just don't want the hassle of having to tune their suspension. The rear Koni's need to be removed from the car in order to change the dampening, which is an annoyance. Plus, there's the learning curve of suspension tuning that some people just don't want (which I totally get). B8's are set and forget.

However, if none of that is an issue for you, the Koni's do offer a lot more flexibility than the B8's. They'll also go a lot softer or harder if that's what is required for your spring setup. They'll also work on a much larger range of applications due to the adjustability. You just need to put in a bit of effort to get them to where you want them. They've been around for decades, are proven quality, are fully rebuildable, have a lifetime warranty, and can be ordered with custom valving.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
IMO a big part of why people buy them (other than being a very good quality shock) is that they're not adjustable. Some people just don't want the hassle of having to tune their suspension. The rear Koni's need to be removed from the car in order to change the dampening, which is an annoyance. Plus, there's the learning curve of suspension tuning that some people just don't want (which I totally get). B8's are set and forget.

However, if none of that is an issue for you, the Koni's do offer a lot more flexibility than the B8's. They'll also go a lot softer or harder if that's what is required for your spring setup. They'll also work on a much larger range of applications due to the adjustability. You just need to put in a bit of effort to get them to where you want them. They've been around for decades, are proven quality, are fully rebuildable, have a lifetime warranty, and can be ordered with custom valving.

Well that's good because I decided I didn't feel like waiting. I knew about the adjustability vs b8's but never thought NONadjustability was a selling point. I thought the b8's had to be amazing or something to explain why you can't get them.

I'm more than fine with diy tinkering to get the perfect ride. In fact, i prefer it that way. I always do my own installing / repairs for everything myself, so it's all good.

Will report back when it's done.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
... I thought the b8's had to be amazing or something to explain why you can't get them.

The reason you can't get them right now is because the Bilstein manufacturing plant is going through a re-tooling process and they shut down all operations. They've been back-ordered since the spring as a result.

Enjoy your Koni's! I think you'll be impressed.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Thanks. I had VWR with the B8 and it was lower. I had that setup for about 6 moths or so, maybe. I ended up really not liking it. @Hammersticks has been a great suspension resource and friend to me since we are local to one another and he suggested I try out the H&R OE Sports, so I drove to his place and we did the swap.

Once I switched to H&R, I was almost immediately more satisfied with many aspects of the change. Ride quality, right height improved and the overall fit and finish of the spring both looked and felt superior when comparing side by Sid with VWR.

Maybe VWR have their place, but after owning them, that place is not on any of my cars ever again.