GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DP Install

2.06thgen

Ready to race!
If I install my DP on the car now before the tune will it throw a code? Also does the stage two tune block the o2 like it did on the mk6?

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How does the car go through emissions?

I don't know about emissions in Maryland but in Arizona there is not a visual inspection or actual emissions test. Here if you don't have a CEL or pending CEL you will pass. It's unnerving to say the least knowing that you don't have a cat installed but it will pass emissions.

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
Yeah kind of crazy isn’t it the car actually passes emissions however here in my leftist state of California they do a visual inspection and even if you passed emissions with an aftermarket DP, you will still fail..how stupid is that!! I just actually did the smog test on my brand new 2019 GTI today because also in our crazy state if you buy a brand new car in another state when you bring it in even though it will pass emissions the state also wants there tiny slice of the pie along with sales tax tags and title. Absolutely stupid to have to smog a brand new car!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah kind of crazy isn’t it the car actually passes emissions however here in my leftist state of California they do a visual inspection and even if you passed emissions with an aftermarket DP, you will still fail..how stupid is that!! I just actually did the smog test on my brand new 2019 GTI today because also in our crazy state if you buy a brand new car in another state when you bring it in even though it will pass emissions the state also wants there tiny slice of the pie along with sales tax tags and title. Absolutely stupid to have to smog a brand new car!

How can they tell it's an aftermarket DP if you have a high flow cat? I can understand a DP with no cat not passing emissions where they have visual inspections.

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
I saw him looking with a small high powered flashlight actually, so my guess is there must be some kind of CARB number or something they look for even with the Cat??

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

That's what I had to do when I moved from ATL. Ended up paying $500+ for registering my GTI, plus around $50 for the smog test.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I saw him looking with a small high powered flashlight actually, so my guess is there must be some kind of CARB number or something they look for even with the Cat??

That shouldn't prevent someone from using an aftermarket downpipe with a cat if for whatever reason they had to replace the OEM downpipe. They can't force you to buy OEM.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon

Jeezuz H. Christ on a bicycle. Earthquakes, wildfires, porous borders, stiffling taxes, traffic out the ass, loony left government etc. etc. Like ya really need another reason to GTFO of Kalifornia :D.

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
Yeah shorty agreed I can’t stand it here other then that I have a 12 year old daughter and I am divorced so I am stuck here atleast until she graduates high school! I am not going to let my crazy ex wife raise my daughter on her own since we share 50/50 custody and besides that it would kill me to be without my daughter. So as you can see there is only one super important reason for me to stay here which far outweighs all those negatives..lol

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Maybe I won’t go stage 2 I gotta more info first

I'm not sure how strict Maryland is vs. New York, but I can pass emissions with my APR DP. I need to install a spacer, reflash to Stage 1 and drive around for a bit to get all sensors in a "Ready" state.