GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB DSG tune

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
In manual, RPM seem to be a bit higher in gear- for example, where I used to stay in 4th going 50 because 5th would kind lug and be between 1500-1800RPM, now it’s around 1800-2000, so I get better gas mileage.

What do you mean by this? The gearing hasn't changed (that mechanical), and you're in manual, so you choose the gear to be in. Kinda lost on what you mean here...

Also, have the shift points changed at all in D?

Last Q... Do you have to give it 50%+ in D to get the quick shifts up and down or does it do that now regardless of throttle input? (I did some logging and noticed that in order to get the card to do the 'quick' shifts up, I had to give it 50% or higher throttle. Anything below that would be a slower shift)

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
****DISREGARD******Answered in the video.

Another question... So can i run this with another Cobb Tune (For example: MAP STAGE II), or will the DSG run only with the COBB OTS tunes only (for now)?

Last edited:

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
What do you mean by this? The gearing hasn't changed (that mechanical), and you're in manual, so you choose the gear to be in. Kinda lost on what you mean here...

Also, have the shift points changed at all in D?

Last Q... Do you have to give it 50%+ in D to get the quick shifts up and down or does it do that now regardless of throttle input? (I did some logging and noticed that in order to get the card to do the 'quick' shifts up, I had to give it 50% or higher throttle. Anything below that would be a slower shift)

Not gearing, I guess it's related to the change in shift points. Upshifts don't lose as many RPM as well, shift points are definitely closer together in Manual. Shift points in D are definitely improved as well, but the 1-2 shift still happens at pretty low RPM(still better than the stock shift point), and 2-3 seems to wind out to a little over 3K. This was literally the second time I've ever driven in D for more than 30 seconds, so my experience with that is limited.

Like you mention/ask, seems you DO need to give more throttle for the "quick" shifts, but the "slow" ones aren't as slow as before. There is a difference between the two, I get what you mean.

VWTURBOFAN- should run with any tune. I'm running 5150.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Yeah I’m lost on the manual shift points thing. They’re manual. They’re wherever you want them to be - no tune needed.

Good to hear the D mode seems improved. I’d like to hear more impressions on that.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Does it fix 2nd gear being drawn out to redline even if I am just cruising in sport mode? Right now if I drive in sport and am light on the gas it stays in second for a ridiculously long time.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Impossible, gear ratios in the trans are still the same.

Could have been some kind of anomaly. But at least today, the two separate times when I was testing, 3 hours apart, driving on the exact same stretch of road I drive on every single day, what I described(2k RPM in 5th instead of 1600ish), occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Does it fix 2nd gear being drawn out to redline even if I am just cruising in sport mode? Right now if I drive in sport and am light on the gas it stays in second for a ridiculously long time.

Yes. sport is usable for around town driving now, IMO. 3rd is still a little long(shifts about 4K), but it’s much improved.

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
And just got my email about the discount for helping. So time to call in and get the DSG upgrade.

Did you have to contact them yourself to get said discount? I submitted my data to them August of last year. Nonetheless, I'm still going to hold off on getting this until any potential bugs are worked out.

Here's the link to the support page for the new TCU/DSG offering:

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/619872308/Volkswagen+Mk7+DSG+Tuning+Guide

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Could have been some kind of anomaly. But at least today, the two separate times when I was testing, 3 hours apart, driving on the exact same stretch of road I drive on every single day, what I described(2k RPM in 5th instead of 1600ish), occurred.

That sounds like a trick of your eyes and you saw 2k in 4th but read it as 5th..... or you were simply traveling at a faster speed and didn't notice. That is the only way that would work. Or worst case scenario is your trans was slipping.

Excited to hear some more reviews.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I don't have a dsg, but this is still very cool news. I think the most exciting thing will be when you guys can get custom tunes matched to your custom engine tune with optimized shift points. I think a Cobb tuned dsg car will be in the hunt for a top spot in the 1/4 mile thread very soon. This adds a whole new level of customization, especially for big turbo setups. I might drive a manual, but I'm no dsg hater; I hope this has been worth the wait for you guys.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
jovian said:
No they had me on a list and emailed me directly. Did not need to reach out to them.

Thanks. I didn't get anything so I emailed them with my information including serial number which they had me provide on the form when I submitted my data last year.

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!

I have waited a very long time for this. No more slippage for me. Data logs confirmed this as well. There is a lot to learn with this new software, there are a LOT of DSG parameters that are able to be monitored/logged. Looking forward to this new chapter. [emoji482]