'17 GSW 4Mo
Those are all longitudinal engines.

Buguyed

Ready to race!
Removed

Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Seems like R's should be included since I know of a fair few (mine included now) that have failed.

Guess that was my question, as they are also known to be problematic on R’s, lots of threads about pumps, thermostats, low levels and coolant smells. I figured maybe there was a recall on the Audi’s but maybe only a service bulletin on the vw’s for whatever reason.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
The internet is an interesting place. One of its characteristics is that it tends to make almost everything seem worse than it actually is. It might appear that Golf Rs have had an inordinate number of water pump failures, but how many have actually occurred, and out of that number how many have been reported on websites such as this? In all likelihood the percentage of Golf Rs having water pump failures has been quite low, but a handful of reports discussed in these forums makes it seem like there have been a large amount of such failures. Had there been an inordinate number of premature pump failures, the NTSB would likely have forced a recall, just as it has done with Audi.

FlyGuyDEN

Passed Driver's Ed
re: water pumps

The internet is an interesting place. One of its characteristics is that it tends to make almost everything seem worse than it actually is. It might appear that Golf Rs have had an inordinate number of water pump failures, but how many have actually occurred, and out of that number how many have been reported on websites such as this? In all likelihood the percentage of Golf Rs having water pump failures has been quite low, but a handful of reports discussed in these forums makes it seem like there have been a large amount of such failures. Had there been an inordinate number of premature pump failures, the NTSB would likely have forced a recall, just as it has done with Audi.

The water pump failed in my 2012 GTI 2x in less than 25K miles (so it had the original, a replacement, then a 2nd redesigned replacement) which was the one point of issue I had with my 2012's quality.