GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Vertical line of dead pixels on infotainment screen

youngkibear

Well I’d be very curious if it happens with Waze via CarPlay. Do you have access to an iPhone you can try?

A similar line appeared on my 2018 GTI SE (barely two months old!) the other day.

dequardo, the line is there all the time, including when I use Waze through CarPlay.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I would think it’s a straight warranty replacement then. Good luck.

nicks1258

Guys . . .

Our display is made out of 3 separate displays. What you are seeing are the start and ends of the 3 separate displays.

I am fairly certain VW did this not only to cut cost, but to increase quality of the displays. These cell phone sized panels are manufactured like crazy compared to other larger displays. Waze is really the only time I notice.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
you will get a new replacement unit. that's why you paid a lot of money for the factory warranty which is included in your sales price.

fco.bautista

Guys . . .

Our display is made out of 3 separate displays. What you are seeing are the start and ends of the 3 separate displays.

I am fairly certain VW did this not only to cut cost, but to increase quality of the displays. These cell phone sized panels are manufactured like crazy compared to other larger displays. Waze is really the only time I notice.

So, if this is the case, does that means that one of the display moved from its original position? I will try to take some measurements to see if the line is ~1/3 of the horizontal size. I also made an appt with a dealer to check on it, irrespective of the design I believe its something that we shouldnt face, in my case is any app with light colors (white/gray/yellow) and menu screens (white) hardly noticeable in the black / dark screens.

Also wondering the source of this info.

Regard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Guys . . .

Do you smoke crack?

ahbib

Hey folks the same problem has developed on the 2018 GTI I live in Canada. Going to have them check it out when i get an oil change and see what they say. They should give me a totally new display or will they have to change out the entire unit?!?!?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Hey folks the same problem has developed on the 2018 GTI I live in Canada. Going to have them check it out when i get an oil change and see what they say. They should give me a totally new display or will they have to change out the entire unit?!?!?

It is one and the same. I'm sure you could get the screen separate (from ebay), but replacing it would be a bitch. The dealership gets the entire head unit.

ahbib

Thats sucks probably going to develop more rattles once they pop open the dash to replace the entire headhunt. Will all my settings be defaulted to factory defaults? This sucks very disappointed with VW right now...

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Thats sucks probably going to develop more rattles once they pop open the dash to replace the entire headhunt. Will all my settings be defaulted to factory defaults? This sucks very disappointed with VW right now...

They would have to remove the head unit to replace just the screen if they were able to anyway. Not really sure about the settings. If they copy the control unit data and then code the new one with it, the setting should stay. Also I'm not sure what settings would actually be affected.

nicks1258

So, if this is the case, does that means that one of the display moved from its original position? I will try to take some measurements to see if the line is ~1/3 of the horizontal size. I also made an appt with a dealer to check on it, irrespective of the design I believe its something that we shouldnt face, in my case is any app with light colors (white/gray/yellow) and menu screens (white) hardly noticeable in the black / dark screens.

Also wondering the source of this info.

Regard

-A little long in the tooth here, but here's my $0.02_

I don't think one of your displays moved, I just think that's how our displays are. I have yet to see a Mk7.5 without these lines. Now my sample size is only 5 cars including mine, but they all had these lines in the same spot.

I have no formal source, but I can offer my engineering experience. Up to you whether you believe it or not, but to me it seems quite obvious what's going on here.

Here is my thought process:
-Huh, those lines looks odd.
-Well, they are spaced evenly apart.
-(Holds up cell phone to display) Ah! These must be cell phone panels.
-Must be 3 bonded together. But let me reboot my screen just to be sure.
-(Reboots) Nope still there

(Goes to dealer to look at other vehicles with the same screen)
-Car 1 (another 18 GTI SE) Yep same lines
-Car 2 (18 Golf R) Yep same lines
-Car 3 (18 Golf SE) Oh yeah, still there
-Car 4 (co-workers 18 GTI SE) Yeah, he has them

So there's my evidence. You don't have to believe it, but it seems incredibly reasonable to me. My guess is a buyer at VW went to a supplier, said I need XX million 8" displays with X by Y resolution and a minimum contrast ratio of Z and the buyer gave them a few options.

It is well known in the tech industry that a very large amount of manufactures are focusing on cell phone parts. (Evidence: Insane DDR4 memory prices for desktop PCs if you know about that). Some supplier probably told VW they can make these displays for pennies on the dollar, and stick 3 of them together with a driver for a few pennies more, as opposed to a few dollars for a single 8" panel that can do the same job.

I could be wrong. I have not dismantled my head unit. I have not requested engineering prints from VW. If you discover otherwise please inform the thread and I will update this post.

Best