GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

is38 vs Bentley Bentayga

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
So, driving home the other day from grabbing some lunch, I see this black SUV in my rear view, weaving in and out of traffic and getting on people's bumpers until they move over to let him pass. It's two lanes for a few miles, then merges to one, then back to two lanes.

At the point before the merge, there's a red light. After the light it stays two lanes for about a quarter mile, then comes into one. People (even grannys in toyotas) regularly "race" each other to get in front. Technically the left lane ends, but nobody ever seems to care.

Light turns red and I get the left lane with nobody in front of me, first spot, at the light, and this dude in the SUV has worked his way up to right behind me. I see the emblem and recognize the Bentley logo. Ooh, never saw one out on the road. Cool. I thought nothing of it. Don't know what they're all about.

So, as the light turns green, i know my lane is ending and i get on it (a little) just enough to pass the other cars in the right. Not racing, but claiming my place in front and leaving a good amount of room for the merge to not be tight for the right lane folks. No tire squeal or anything like that. Not even a DSG fart, actually. Mr. Bentley stays right on my ass, so I give it a little more expecting to pull away. He doesn't try to pass me on the right, but stays right on me. So, i check ahead and it's clear. I get on it...

He stays pretty close, and I can tell he's on it, trying to catch me. I was all the way in with my right foot. Definitely not used to anyone staying that close when i get on it. I don't go around looking for a race, but if someone wants to go, and the road is clear, i'll hop on it at times. My car looks stock, so i don't get a lot of revs or kids trying to race.

By about halfway to the lanes opening up, I gained about 3-4 cars on him, slowly. It was a gradual 45 degree curve, so i'm thinking it was likely him not keeping traction around the curve or the 6,000+ pounds he's lugging around. At the time I just figured "because big ass SUV".

After we merge into the two lane section, i get over to the right (of the two lanes) to let him pass and get his flyby. I kinda wanted to see what the rest of the truck looked like too. He's still in the left lane, a couple cars back, because of the merge. Then, the dude gets into the center turning lane and passes the two cars. He's still hauling ass.

I stayed right to let him do his thing. He kept on zooming around everyone. No wave, no thumbs up, nothing. I guess that's ok, since his car costs more than my house, and about 10x the price i paid for my GTI.

I get home and very curious. I watched a couple video reviews and quarter miles on the SUV. It's a serious beast.

With further research, they advertise it as the "world's fastest SUV". Maybe after he drove off he was heading back to the dealership to return it and tell them he couldn't smoke a volkswagen golf?

6 liter, twin turbo, w12. Supposed to do the quarter in 11.9 seconds. From a dig, he'd absolutely have me on paper. I guess i must have speed limited it to a 40 roll because i didn't expect him to try to race me.

Regardless, keep an eye out for them on the road. They are no joke. I'm fully confident my next tangle with one will leave me a bit sadder than this time.

I am running with mods in my signature plus:
conti DWS06 rubber on austins
moosetune is for e30

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Definitely was a shock for me until I read up on what it was made of.

I'd think he'd put an is20 in its place, but a tuned one, not a bad run for the money.

If I we're him, I'd be pretty pissed I just bought the fastest suv ever, for like $200k, and couldn't hang with a $24k gti. Other than moderate springs, my car looks stock. Definitely a head scratcher. I hope he saw the car seat in the back (empty of course).

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
117 trap. Going to have a hard time with you on a roll run.
Glad the circumstances worked out for me. Was by chance, this time. I had no intention until he, sort of, challenged me, by riding my ass. I wouldn't have been prepared if he actually launched it properly.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Never mind costing as much as your house, that Bentley probably weighed as much as it too :p

Still not a bad showing from our four pot considering the absolute monster of an engine Bentley's engineers crammed into that thing

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Pretty funny to give a guy in a Bentley the business no matter the circumstances.

At the very least he was probably pretty confused as to why he didn't blow you away or he got scared in the bend and let off.