GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 TSI

Jbad

I just picked up my 2017 Golf -- I am new both to Golf ownership and this community, and I am looking for suggestions.

I see that there are threads for the best mods for the MK7 GTI and R, my question is what recommendations do you guys have for a new TSI owner (aside from getting a at GTI or R... as that ship has sailed)?

Predominantly I am looking for aesthetic mods: U-LED headlights, tail lights, etc. but all suggestions are welcome!

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Best mod I have done to my Golf so far is the APR Stage 1 tune. Made 40whp and 50wtq for under $600. Other mod I would look into would be the VWR springs, rear sway bar. Is your's an auto or manual?

Ian@MAPerformance

If you don't want to automatically void your drivetrain warranty you can look into the JB1 or JB4 piggyback tunes. Removable without flagging TD1 in the ECU.

Be careful with aftermarket lighting and body parts. They never tend to fit as well as OEM. Might want to look into OEM LED tails. I had a set on my 2012 GTI and they were gorgeous.

Congrats on the Golf! I hope to join you shortly :)

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Check out the member car journals section, there are a few golfs there.
I have a golf, and what I have done so far:
- Window tint
- lowered on VWR springs
- 034 Dogbone mount
- Clutch delay valve removal (if manual)
- Clutch stop
- BFI weighted shift knob
- JB1
- Euro switch w/light sensor
- Stock GTI turbo back exhaust + rear diffuser
- Some OBDEleven tweaks
- Some other things I don't remember.

The golf is an awesome platform and I can't wait to see what more people do with it :).

rafa1

Passed Driver's Ed
Cosmetics would be pretty similar as the GTI most parts are interchangeable between the two.

JackJoachim

Currently running,
JB1 tune with Map 6 with turn the boost up to +5.1lbs over stock.
ST Rear sway bar with super pro endlinks
STX Coilovers
Rotiform BLQ 19x8.5 ET35
Autotech Exhaust
Full interior leds, Brake light leds.
Auto headlight switch
a few other things but all in all I've created, in my opinion, the best daily driver possible for the price. Sure i could have bought a GTI but hey im still young and have plenty of time for other cars.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Feel free to check out my thread. Best mod so far... either helix headlights or wheels... or exhaust... or all of them

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Best mod by far is JB4. Running 8lbs over stock and the car is a whole new animal. No risk of warranty issues either like a full tune. If there are any stage 1 guys in NJ I'll run you to see where it hangs. Hasn't been any comparisons yet for the JB4. The JB1 was only like 75% of a stage 1. Would love to see what the JB4 can do.

Jbad

Best mod I have done to my Golf so far is the APR Stage 1 tune. Made 40whp and 50wtq for under $600. Other mod I would look into would be the VWR springs, rear sway bar. Is your's an auto or manual?

Ian@MAPerformance

I drive a standard. I was debating automatic, but I just love the driving experience of a standard transmission too much.

Last edited:

allroads

Passed Driver's Ed
Having a Gsw, I too added a Jb1, a rear sway bar from the gti, auto headlight switch and more bits and pieces to make it enjoyable to drive everyday

AKF427

Ready to race!
-=Spacer Kit
-=Euro Spec Tails LED
-=HID Headlights. LED daytime running.

golfdan17

Not for the faint of heart

Lots of good, fun ideas here. But beware that the descriptions you see on this & similar sites may be more complex than the poster describes.

I have a 2017 TSI Wolfsburg. All my new cars get a larger rear sway bar (this one got 22 mm upgraded GTI bar), tint, & the best tires money can buy for the frequently wet Seattle area roads. Those things are easy, can be done by practically anyone at reasonable costs, and have no real downsides.

As usually I found some other things that I thought "needed improvement". I wired in some auxiliary small LED spots in the lift gate to go on with when the hatch is opened. No sweat on previous Honda & Subaru. But with the Golf fuses blew, car wouldn't start, & all the other interior lights got all scrambled. Eventually got it things back to original but only after disconnecting the LEDs.

I found the OEM headlights to be quite feeble & the rear red blinkers don't stand out very well in a sea of red brake lights -- Euro head & tail lights seemed like a price but good solution. Also wanted the simple convenience of a self dimming HomeLink rearview mirror & a pop up hatch. After reading hundreds of posts describing the installation of the above items, I decided it was doable but more than I could handle. With a little effort I managed to find a local GTI owner who had done all the above mods & knew how to code as well. Best of all he was willing to help me do the same!

Piece of cake right? Not quite! After about 10 hours of effort I now have working head lights & tail lights that are a pretty good improvement in terms of safety & appearance. But despite several hours of effort the VW accessory mirror isn't working, I don't have back up lights, & my rear view camera is not malfunctioning more often than not. I'm not sure the camera is directly related to the other items but I certainly am suspicious! Now I'm praying that my VW enthusiast helper will be willing to spend a few more hours and can get all the "bugs" worked out. I'm discovering that electronics on VW/Audi are incredible complex compared to Honda & Subaru. Definitely not for the faint of heart!

Regarding the pop up hatch, I got the ECS hatch struts. Install was straight forward but afterward it would release but not pop up, had to code to get that to work. Yes there is considerable more effort required to close the hatch now. But both I & my wife can still do it (we are 67) with one hand and oomph! Worth while addition IMO.

Last but not least, I can't help but wonder if I have a fender-bender & break one of the euro lights how easy it will be to get them replaced & if the insurance will cover the costs.

All that to say these aftermarket mods sound great but be prepared for potential challenges and issues. Best wishes in your pursuit of modding your TSI.

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
^^^ 2nd paragraph : rear sway and tires are great perf mods.

Best cosmetic mod is wheels imo, though I don't care much for diameter more than 17s, bigger rims than that simply make the rotors look wimpy.

I've done some small things like interior LEDs, air blue 80 tint, exhaust tips, mud flaps.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk