GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Prototype Turbo Results

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
I’ll second that. I’m a a happy costumer of ED’s tuning abilities

So if I wanted Ed’s tune on the east coast what can be done? Self street logs and send via email to Ed? Currently have UM so it’d be difficult to change I guess. Already have pro-flex and port injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Frank at mabotech tunes with ED and does a great job - in fact he even sells Ed's turbos sometimes ;).....if I had ED that is who I would be running with....for AP, Ed all day

I guess this is a question now really for the ED tune thread but does ED support MPI? This is the route I will be taking for sure.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I guess this is a question now really for the ED tune thread but does ED support MPI? This is the route I will be taking for sure.

They do have MPI for most platforms but I don't think they have flex fuel support yet. You have to run a set % of ethanol which is a major turn-off for me. Our e85 pumps are way too inconsistent for comfort.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
They do have MPI for most platforms but I don't think they have flex fuel support yet. You have to run a set % of ethanol which is a major turn-off for me. Our e85 pumps are way too inconsistent for comfort.

Yea, the slider set up is not ideal.. I really just want to be able to fill up w/e85 and not have to worry.. UM just keeps sounding better and better.. does ED have boost by gear?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So if I wanted Ed’s tune on the east coast what can be done? Self street logs and send via email to Ed? Currently have UM so it’d be difficult to change I guess. Already have pro-flex and port injectors.

Doesn't make any sense for you to switch.

You have a better setup than what Cobb can offer currently.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
agree guys, i'm more than likely not switching but i do think Ed's tuning on his own turbo would be better than UM's through a UM authorized shop.

The only involvement in tuning a UM authorized shop has is recording a log, sending a file and flashing a file.

Jeff at UM does all the logging/tuning through his own proprietary software. It's all Simos18 but how much control/knowledge the tuner has is the question.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Lots of good tuning options out there. Cobb is a bit behind on feature adoption (MPI and flex), but they’re working hard on adding them. One thing I will say about Cobb from over a decade of experience with them is that when they release a feature it is well developed and well tested. Usually worth the wait. But if someone is already invested in another platform, it’s likely worth it to just seek quality tuning under that platform.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, been through all that. I have all my clients upgrade the stock DV with a higher tension spring and it fixes any leak issues - this is especially the case with 6MT.

My turbosmart leaked and so did a ton of my clients, which caused a redesign.

Cutout/catback would be a minor increase, but it would definitely help.

Can you share what part# or where to get this high-tension spring you speak of? Thanks much!

CandyR32

Passed Driver's Ed
agree guys, i'm more than likely not switching but i do think Ed's tuning on his own turbo would be better than UM's through a UM authorized shop.

No Way, Not knocking Ed's tuning. Because I feel Ed is a great asset to the platform But UM has been tuning this platform a lot longer and taken it to levels NO ONE else has touched to date. ;)

UM also developed his OWN software and tunes, these other guys are simply just using software created by others. Again, Not knocking them. Just stating the facts.

Last edited:

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
No Way, Not knocking Ed's tuning. Because I feel Ed is a great asset to the platform But UM has been tuning this platform a lot longer and taken it to levels NO ONE else has touched to date. ;)

UM also developed his OWN software and tunes, these other guys are simply just using software created by others. Again, Not knocking them. Just stating the facts.
Oh really? Please tell us more :eek:

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
On a turbo this size, the performance metrics behind anyone competent is going to be next to zero. You are best to work with someone you trust and feel comfortable with than picking sides between ED or UM (the two with MPI support which you need to max this turbo).

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
YOU hush up.... You are needing a status update!! lol I just got my Brushless pump on the car and holy SHIT! Dyno and 1/4 times coming ASAP! seeing 20+ degrees and 32psi at redline on E76 :)

Nice!! may i ask, how much was this pump out the door price? enjoy it!!