GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you! on occasion i had CEL with low fuel rail pressure code, but that was honestly extremely rare.
what about ing1 chart, what does that tell me? and the ing2-5 shows the corrections?
am i essentially striving for a e25 mixture here?

thank you for your patience with me.

Go back a page and read my post. base map is there. IS12 though

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Been doing a little logging lately, really dialed things back to have consistently clean logs, had to bring it all the way back to 16 psi, tapering to 13 psi, FOL 85.

I try to always do my logging while going up a grade, does this make sense to everyone else? My understanding is we are trying to place the engine under as much load as possible, highest gear as possible to reduce mechanical advantage, so I figured going up a grade also puts additional load.

Also, where have you guys with 1.8's bought your gti or golf r injectors? I have my intercooler and downpipe ready to go on the car, next item I would like to do would be the injectors.

https://datazap.me/u/tplociniak/alltrack-is38-16-psi-66-outside-temp?log=0&data=1-4-11-25-26-27-28

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Been doing a little logging lately, really dialed things back to have consistently clean logs, had to bring it all the way back to 16 psi, tapering to 13 psi, FOL 85.

I try to always do my logging while going up a grade, does this make sense to everyone else? My understanding is we are trying to place the engine under as much load as possible, highest gear as possible to reduce mechanical advantage, so I figured going up a grade also puts additional load.

Also, where have you guys with 1.8's bought your gti or golf r injectors? I have my intercooler and downpipe ready to go on the car, next item I would like to do would be the injectors.

https://datazap.me/u/tplociniak/alltrack-is38-16-psi-66-outside-temp?log=0&data=1-4-11-25-26-27-28

You have an is38 and you peak at 16.5 psi? I understand they're not the same turbo, but my is20 e30 tune peaks at 25.5 tapers to 18 on a stack. On just jb4 93 octane I peaked at 23 and tapered lower.

https://datazap.me/u/8055wagen/e30-unitronic-is20-jb4-stack-5-max?log=1&data=1-4-6-11-25-26-27-28

Am I missing something?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
His turbo moves more air, he also has very little control of fueling. I think he has a very nice and efficient setup. His ECU is happy, his turbo is barely working, he's not injecting "excessive" fuel in to the cylinders to chase boost numbers. Looks good to me. He can always throw some ethanol in the tank and turn the boost up. :D

You have an is38 and you peak at 16.5 psi? I understand they're not the same turbo, but my is20 e30 tune peaks at 25.5 tapers to 18 on a stack. On just jb4 93 octane I peaked at 23 and tapered lower.

https://datazap.me/u/8055wagen/e30-unitronic-is20-jb4-stack-5-max?log=1&data=1-4-6-11-25-26-27-28

Am I missing something?

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
His turbo moves more air, he also has very little control of fueling. I think he has a very nice and efficient setup. His ECU is happy, his turbo is barely working, he's not injecting "excessive" fuel in to the cylinders to chase boost numbers. Looks good to me. He can always throw some ethanol in the tank and turn the boost up. :D

Gotcha. Didn't know that there was that much of a difference between the 20 and the 38. Thanks!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Had I known what I know today when I first got my car, I think I would have gone TPLO's route with the just the JB4 and IS38. Being able to instantly change the boost levels on the JB4 is awesome.

Gotcha. Didn't know that there was that much of a difference between the 20 and the 38. Thanks!

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Had I known what I know today when I first got my car, I think I would have gone TPLO's route with the just the JB4 and IS38. Being able to instantly change the boost levels on the JB4 is awesome.

Agreed. Didn't occur to me at first that a larger turbo is worked less for the same power. I'm now at my desired power levels with the is20, but may have been better off with a 38 tuned conservatively.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Agreed. Didn't occur to me at first that a larger turbo is worked less for the same power. I'm now at my desired power levels with the is20, but may have been better off with a 38 tuned conservatively.

It also makes a difference when the is38 low boost log is clean and the is20 23 psi on 93 is getting timing pull and knock corrections. He definitely can add more to it still without losing any timing, but it is about what keeps him happy

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I thought JB4 only safely supports til IS20 for the 1.8t? If I can safely run an IS38 with just the JB4 (and no other supporting mods, cold weather, no tracking and only pulls once in a while), it'll be tempting.

I'm assuming a low boost mapped IS38 should be making similar outputs as a moderate/high boost IS20?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I thought JB4 only safely supports til IS20 for the 1.8t? If I can safely run an IS38 with just the JB4 (and no other supporting mods, cold weather, no tracking and only pulls once in a while), it'll be tempting.

I'm assuming a low boost mapped IS38 should be making similar outputs as a moderate/high boost IS20?
You will need to use a custom Map 6 in order to get the JB4 to work properly with a IS38. It will work.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Ah I thought when they say "JB4 only safely supports IS20 on the 1.8t" that it includes Map 6.

If that's the case, I might just skip to the IS38 w/ low boost and keep everything else stock.

Thanks!
Your spool with a bit later than IS12 or IS20 cars, but you'll have a reliable highway runner. You won't be able to extract the full potential of the IS38, but you'll end up with a fun and reliable setup.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Your spool with a bit later than IS12 or IS20 cars, but you'll have a reliable highway runner. You won't be able to extract the full potential of the IS38, but you'll end up with a fun and reliable setup.

Sounds good. I've had my share of fun with my old stock turbo FBO Manual MK7 GTI before....

I think I'll be satisfied with a low/mild boost IS38 1.8t :D

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
I've turned it down to keep my corrections under 1, it's still very fun as it is. I am looking forward to getting my downpipe on though

I was on the turnpike today so I have some e85 mix (3.998 gallons) with the rest being 93, I'll do some pulls tomorrow and see what things look like