GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R or GTI Autobahn??

Yoliber

Ready to race!
Ambiguous-
Don't know if this matters to you but the gear ratios are rather different. The GTI has very very tall gears so you won't be shifting that much. I think 2nd gear goes up to lke 70mph. Golf R has a closer ratio tranny. Therefore the GTI might be easier to daily while the Golf R tranny is more sport oriented.

GTI-
More fuel efficient and tossable. 1 ft^3 more storage space.

Golf R-
Better resale value. Better performance. More exclusive. Virtual cockpit?

I chose the GTI because I loved the plaid seats, it was cheaper, and it was better to daily. I wasn't looking for a performance king and think stock power is actually already real good. Just my daily and weekend warrior.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Came from '98.5 Audi A4 Quattro. Modded it and loved the AWD. Then purchased a MKV GTI and modded it. Regretted nothing having AWD. Bought the 2015 Golf R with DSG when they first came out and fell in love all over again.

I have had APR Stage 2 for sometime now and love it!!!
There's nothing like having all that power with AWD and being able to hook up and not spin a fricking tire!

Get the "R" or you will regret it!!!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I’ve had a GTI autobahn and now own an ‘R’. Fed’s point is right on. For many reasons (many already noted), I never miss the GTI, but very intermittently still wish I had a sunroof. The traction I have with the R,even with a moderate ‘launch’, vs the GTI is significantly different. I loved having my R with pilot alpin tires on snowpacked roads last week - what a blast! I would never had said that about my GTI. I love this car!

Looking out the window this morning, at the heavy snow coming down, I too am happy my R has Michelin snow tires, which do a great job in the white stuff. I do downsize to 17" wheels though for the winter. No doubt, the R is the better winter car hands down. But then, with good snows I never had any issues with the GTI, either. But the R is just frickin' solid.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
I came from an AWD vehicle (Evo) and, although I love my GTI, I feel I would have been happier overall with the R.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
You can't go wrong with either. I love my R though and in the end its not that much more for AWD, a little more HP & Torque, Digital Dash and and other upgrades. Plus I love the R seats! If you can live w/o a sunroof and live in snowy area I would get the R.

Here is a link to my (very in depth) review. See if that helps you decide.

https://youtu.be/w1BNd9bY0S0

surrealjam

Ready to race!
Since you can afford to buy the R, there is NO reason to buy a GTI unless you can't live without a sunroof.

Not sure I understand "NO reason". The GTI is arguably a more classic design, has a larger boot and in some situations is more fun to drive.

I'm not saying the R isn't a better choice for a lot of people but might be worth giving a slightly more balanced reason.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I agree that there is no "wrong" choice. Both cars are fundamentally similar, using the same platform, same engine (if in different tunes), and nearly all of the same parts, except for the Haldex setup. The R feels different, but not necessarily better depending on your use, IMO.

It's not like the difference between the R, the TTS, and the S3, where you can legitimately argue there is a very different vibe and feel between the vehicles, even though they are all fundamentally similar. Or the difference between a GTI and a regular TT, where the weight, styling, and general cachet of the TT somewhat justifies the steep price increase over the VW. I'd say GTI or R comes down to which feels better to you as you drive it, which one makes you smile more. Honestly, I really like my R but I think I smiled more in the GTI.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Except FWD spins its wheels when pushed off the line, especially while turning and accelerating in the wet and cold. That was the biggest let down on my GTI. Besides this it was fine.

Heh, you guys drive a lot harder than I do. Never had that issue with my GTI. Probably because, well, I never really drove it that hard. Our roads just don't lend themselves to such shenanigans. Launch hard and bam! pothole, frost heave, or raised asphalt ridge destroys something.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yeah the Golf R's MT has much sportier ratios, which help mitigate the turbo lag from the IS38, and generally help supplement the more planted feel (due to AWD), adding more fun to the mix.

If you can afford an R I think you're crazy not to get one. They're made in Germany and have less rattles, their leather is higher quality, virtual cockpit, better resale, more unique, etc etc. And this is coming from someone who has owned 2 MK7 GTIs, 1 MT and 1 DSG.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Except FWD spins its wheels when pushed off the line, especially while turning and accelerating in the wet and cold. That was the biggest let down on my GTI. Besides this it was fine.

Was that with stock tires?

Heh, you guys drive a lot harder than I do. Never had that issue with my GTI. Probably because, well, I never really drove it that hard. Our roads just don't lend themselves to such shenanigans. Launch hard and bam! pothole, frost heave, or raised asphalt ridge destroys something.

I had the aforesaid issue with stock tires. But with updated tires, i pretty much had no issues like you. Did you swap your tires on the GTI by any chance?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Was that with stock tires?

I had the aforesaid issue with stock tires. But with updated tires, i pretty much had no issues like you. Did you swap your tires on the GTI by any chance?

Yeah I just put on AS3+ and 95% of my traction concerns are no longer existent. They really do hook. Even over bad pavement @ WOT. But I'm totally stock power.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
If you can afford an R, you should purchase the R over a GTI, I went from MK7 Gti to Golf R and I couldn't be any happier.