GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R or GTI Autobahn??

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I am torn between a 2018 GTI Autobahn or a Golf R...both with manual trannies. This car will be used to commute to work and tool around town.

I am posing this to Golf R owners who have experience with both the GTI and Golf R.
Is the Golf R worth the extra cash or not? Whats your reasoning?
Thanks in advance.

Based on your objectives I think you would be satisfied with the GTI but taking both for a test drive would be a good idea. For me the decision wasn't easy, but after test driving the GTI I decided that as a daily driver it was quite adequate. If you plan to do substantial power modifications that would be a good reason to go with the R.

switzerr

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven’t picked up my GTI yet, and I did consider calling the dealer today to ask if I could opt out of the deal, and take the R they have on their lot . . .

I blame this thread.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I haven’t picked up my GTI yet, and I did consider calling the dealer today to ask if I could opt out of the deal, and take the R they have on their lot . . .

I blame this thread.

Lol, thats a good one early in the morning. Do keep us updated on the progress.

Last edited:

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
If a new GTI cost the same price as a new R, I don't think anyone would buy the GTI. So doesn't it comes down to price? You only lose about one cubic foot of hatch space and the sunroof, and gain so much more. I actually prefer the more subdued design of the R.

This is a good point. I would have gotten an R if they came with manual transmissions in 2015. I have no desire to drive an automatic. I would love to have a 2018 R over my 2015 GTI but can't justify the $20k price difference after just buying a new house.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
The weight of the R is felt in corners, I have a friend with one and we swapped cars and blasted down Lime Rock Road in the hill country a few months back.

While an R def has more grip a GTI with wide sticky rubber is a hoot.

I personally couldn’t justify the real world $10k difference at the time for AWD, plus I love my sunroof.

3 years later, I def made the right decision.

I’m a single guy and recently had to make a $78k down payment on my home.

No ragrets.

Golf R1

Ready to race!
I've driven quite a few rear wheel drive cars and a bunch of front wheel vehicles. My daily before the R was an Evo (AWD). AWD is now a prerequisite for me.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!

I blame this thread.

If you got the money dude, get the R.

The car hooks up and feels like it is on rails.

A week before the fires (in LA), I was lucky enough to find a train of around 50 supercars (458 Speciale, GT3 RS, SLS, SVJ, 675LT, R8, etc.) to follow and in the end, got stuck in the middle and was holding my own. Was getting thumbs up from all of them. Stunt Road, Mulholland, The Snake, Decker et al. Went through a tank of gas @14.8MPG. Worth it!

Can I ask a question though, how are you getting $10k off a GTI Autobahn? What's the catch? How much does that make it OTD?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
My lovely wife just authorized me "to get anything I want." Therefore, the choice is clear...Golf R. Now, just pick a color. The tranny is a clear choice...manual.

Great wife and good choice in the tranny! I chose white because it goes with my silver Pretorias well, but given your MK7.5 comes with Englishtowns, I would go with blue.

GL with the purchase and delivery.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I'm personally making the move from my GTI to a R. Off the line traction and shorter gearing seems to work better for my needs
Too often I find that the gear I'm in is either too high or low for the speed I'm going. Especially 2nd and 3rd gears. And the drop from 1st to 2nd is far too dramatic for a sporty car. For a daily driver the GTI is a fantastic car. Really nice on the highway as well. But having AWD is a great thing on a performance hatch.

Down sides to the R is a 2-5mpg loss in MPG. But honestly if MPG is something that worries you or you drive ALOT get a TDI.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I'm personally making the move from my GTI to a R. Off the line traction and shorter gearing seems to work better for my needs

Too often I find that the gear I'm in is either too high or low for the speed I'm going. Especially 2nd and 3rd gears. And the drop from 1st to 2nd is far too dramatic for a sporty car. For a daily driver the GTI is a fantastic car. Really nice on the highway as well. But having AWD is a great thing on a performance hatch.

Down sides to the R is a 2-5mpg loss in MPG. But honestly if MPG is something that worries you or you drive ALOT get a TDI.

I too have been thinking the same but I’ll likely hold onto my GTI for a while. Eventually I’d love to move onto an R, so anything that I buy right now I check to see if it can fit an R lol.

It’s wet and cold here most of the time so nothing beats AWD traction for the roads. Different story for mostly dry/hot places like California...

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I too have been thinking the same but I’ll likely hold onto my GTI for a while. Eventually I’d love to move onto an R, so anything that I buy right now I check to see if it can fit an R lol.

It’s wet and cold here most of the time so nothing beats AWD traction for the roads. Different story for mostly dry/hot places like California...
Did some cost analysis of the market for a golf R and the difference in price from my car to a used 17 R. Looks like I'd be paying about what I would have if I would have gotten the R to begin with if I get one now.

If I can't find a R that meets what I'd like then I'll happily keep my GTI then possibly trade up to a mk8 R.