GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Exhaust Cutout Kit + Switch

HighQuality_H20

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up on my 18 GTI S model up this Tuesday (10/9/18)
I've put about 200 miles on it since then.

I been letting the oil warm up to temperature before driving it quickly, doing my best to stay under 4k RPM, and for the most part, using only 40 percent of the throttle.

My question is..... should i buy this ECS product?
I'm not gonna buy it right away i just want to know what your guys opinion is.

ECS Tuning Exhaust Cutout

ECS Youtube channel video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0ZRpVNSaGs

Store link: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/exhaust-cutout-kit-25-with-double-apex-oe-switch/020923ecs02-02kt/

I think it costs like 300 bucks for the 2.5 inch version and probably a 120 bucks for someone to install it.

420 dollars dosent sound very expensive for a special button that you can push to make the car sound super angry and loud.

What would the car sound like with stock exhaust and this piece equipped?
Would it just sound like a 2018 GTI with no muffler?

Also, I been a big fan of the GTI since i was 16. I always wanted one but i ended up going the JDM route for a little while. I'm excited to see what life on the autobahn is like!

Cheers! nice to meet yall.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
In my opinion, don't do it. Our engines don't really sound that amazing to be honest. The stock catback is very well designed for tone and volume, when paired with a downpipe it sounds mean when you want it to and calm when you dont. But the key is the tone is very nice and clean. When you get a catback like borla, AWE, or even Rev9 (350 bucks), they are designed to make your engine sound louder, yes, but with a much nicer tone, more rumble, and all that.

Running a remote valve post-downpipe that dumps exhaust straight out is going to sound ridiculously loud, but it also will not have a good tone to it. It is going to sound extremely cheap and tacky, probably rather hollow and tinny. On mustangs, camaros, old v8s, etc one of these can sound mean as hell (theres a dude that lives next to me with an old mustang with this setup, sounds amazing), but our engines are not that.. We need all the refinement we can get to help our little turbo 4 bangers sound good, so basically running an open downpipe is going to sound god awful. If you want to keep the stock downpipe but sound better on a budget, grab the rev9 catback for 350 bucks and throw that on the car.

All that being said this is speculative as I have not (and will not ;) ) run one of these, and opinion plays a huge part. I might fully well be completely wrong. If you like the sound, forget everything I said and do what makes you happy.

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I had the manual qtp cutout for.... About a week. Trust me . Don't do it. Sounds ok from a free rev but once you start driving it sounds horrendous. If you're going to tune just get a downpipe and mate to stock cb it sounds great. If you want something extra look at a catback.

I'm running magnaflow cb and Apr dp and it is LOUD past 4k but still has a deep tone. .

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
They summed up the sound unless you like driving a lawnmower. I can just imagine the drone. Moreover, don't you risk exhaust fumes getting into the cabin, because it's not clear to me it clears the cabin? Most importantly, is it guaranteed not to leak for life? Personally, I would want to install it right before the rear mufflers and have the pipe exit at the back of the car. Probably would need an extension pipe on it to do that. If we had a V8 under the hood... I do love the button.

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
This product is perfect for a track rat looking for every gain possible, but wants something that doesn't sound obnoxious on the street.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HighQuality_H20

Passed Driver's Ed
Cool! thanks for the feedback.

Glad i asked you guys before spending the cash.

I drove the car today with the windows down in sport mode.

I actually kind of like the soundactor thing. Its perfect but sounds pretty good. with the windows down you can hear the turbo which is pretty damn awsome.

I never had a turbo car before.