GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible Damage - Strange Noise

GTI2016

Ready to race!
So about a year ago I had a basic service done on my 2016 GTI. Oil change, piugs tire rotation (non-dealer outfit). Well after picking up the car and doing the usual 100+ test drive I felt some serious vibration and loud noise coming from the left front wheel area. At first it would happen only over 60 mph and I would get serious steering wheel vibration and hear a strange loud vibrating noise coming from the front. I would pull over after every occurrence and finally check the wheel bolts and discovered they had not been tightened but slightly threaded but into the wheel so someone forgot the tighten them.

So after fixing the problem and thinking all would be fine, Ive now noticed a very loud squeaking screeching noise coming from the left front of the car (same wheel) and only happens between 1-5 mph. sounds like metal on metal. So im asking here to hopefully someone who might be a mechanic what they think might be causing that screeching currently and if having fucking loose wheel bolts and doing 100 with a non tightened wheel may cause damage to something ie rotors etc. Thanks much in advance... wouldn't know what to do with these forums.

GTI2016

Ready to race!
The squeaking is getting a lot worse... gonna have to take it in but was hoping someone would have a thought as to what might be causing this...seems break related.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
It could be the rotors, but you would likely feel that in the brake pedal. Does it vibrate when you brake?

It's possible you wrecked a wheel bearing. There could be suspension damage, but my money is on the wheel bearing. Hard to diagnose without hearing/feeling it. If you jack up the car and shake the wheel a bit and turn it by hand, you might be able to figure where it's coming from. If the wheel has play in it, the bearing is shot. If it's hard to turn, it could be the brakes or the bearing.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Remove and check out your studs. Rolling around with loose fitment likely screwed up the threads. Maybe a bearing, maybe a hub. Either way, you'd want to inspect and check before driving it. Might be a disaster waiting to happen.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

GTI2016

Ready to race!
Thanks for the feedback guys... Ill take a look at what you've mentioned. FML! lol

GTI2016

Ready to race!
It could be the rotors, but you would likely feel that in the brake pedal. Does it vibrate when you brake?

It's possible you wrecked a wheel bearing. There could be suspension damage, but my money is on the wheel bearing. Hard to diagnose without hearing/feeling it. If you jack up the car and shake the wheel a bit and turn it by hand, you might be able to figure where it's coming from. If the wheel has play in it, the bearing is shot. If it's hard to turn, it could be the brakes or the bearing.

Only when breaking now at high speeds... 60+ massive wheel wobble but that I figured might just be normal warping. But maybe bearing related too?