GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dsg Tune-less

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
Hey guys, been wondering about something lately. I have a eurodyne ecu tune, but I don't have the dsg yet. Yes, I know that I need to get the dsg tune asap, but my question is this... If I'm running the ecu tune alone, will my power output be neutered due to not having the dsg tune also? And once I get the dsg tune would full power be allowed, or am I wrong altogether?

Also, I'm pretty sure I know what replies I'm going to get on this question, but would it be okay for me to try out the HT file up the street once without the dsg tune just to see what it's all about? Thanks.

pieguy

Ready to race!
If you're not using the high torque tunes you can probably get by for a long time. Once you use higher torque tunes or go stage 2, the tcu will probably sense the torque spikes and limit the tune during pulls. You'll see these little drops in your logs during pulls if your wtq is exceeding the clamping force limits of the stock tcu.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Hey guys, been wondering about something lately. I have a eurodyne ecu tune, but I don't have the dsg yet. Yes, I know that I need to get the dsg tune asap, but my question is this... If I'm running the ecu tune alone, will my power output be neutered due to not having the dsg tune also? And once I get the dsg tune would full power be allowed, or am I wrong altogether?

Also, I'm pretty sure I know what replies I'm going to get on this question, but would it be okay for me to try out the HT file up the street once without the dsg tune just to see what it's all about? Thanks.

You don't need it unless you want a better tune when in D and S. The increase clamping pressure really isn't needed until stage 2 or 3 depending on the tune. The LT vs HT tunes are more for manual drivers who have or don't have an upgraded clutch.

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
You don't need it unless you want a better tune when in D and S. The increase clamping pressure really isn't needed until stage 2 or 3 depending on the tune. The LT vs HT tunes are more for manual drivers who have or don't have an upgraded clutch.

So you're saying that I'm totally fine to run the HT file without the dsg tune? I've only been using the LT file because I was afraid to do the HT bc eurodyne website said the HT files required the dsg tune

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
So you're saying that I'm totally fine to run the HT file without the dsg tune? I've only been using the LT file because I was afraid to do the HT bc eurodyne website said the HT files required the dsg tune

So in this case, since the tune company says it is required, it probably is. Although in some cases it is just a way to make extra money. There is no reason you can't flash the HT and try it out. Most of it comes down to how the driver requests the power as well as the power curve of the tune. From what I know Eurodyne, when compared to APR, has a nice gradual TQ curve where as APR is extremely violent. Torque is the main clutch killer (MT or DSG). Tuned the DSG can handle 450 TQ depending on how it comes on, and untuned, depending on the curve it can handle up to 350. Not to mention the fact that you can upgrade the clutch packs in a DSG which will let you handle even greater TQ.

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
So in this case, since the tune company says it is required, it probably is. Although in some cases it is just a way to make extra money. There is no reason you can't flash the HT and try it out. Most of it comes down to how the driver requests the power as well as the power curve of the tune. From what I know Eurodyne, when compared to APR, has a nice gradual TQ curve where as APR is extremely violent. Torque is the main clutch killer (MT or DSG). Tuned the DSG can handle 450 TQ depending on how it comes on, and untuned, depending on the curve it can handle up to 350. Not to mention the fact that you can upgrade the clutch packs in a DSG which will let you handle even greater TQ.

Awesome, I'm not exactly sure what the torque output from the eurodyne HT file is, they only state the numbers for the regular torque file

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!

If I do happen to get slippage on the stronger tune, will I be okay if I switch it back to the lower tune at first sign of slippage, or is it too late, and what's done is done?

Once a dsg starts slipping is irreversible damage done, or will switching back to lower tune solve the problem.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
You wont destroy your DSG the first time you slip the clutches, they're cooled by the DSG fluid and they're pretty stout. But you also don't want to make a habit of it. Slippage is, after all, inherently bad. Just get the damn DSG tune it's like $400 i think? $350??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
I don't really notice anything different except more power in 2nd

It feels like it wants to start pulling hard, but it feels like something is limiting it, like some kind of limiter. Wish there was more information available from their website explaining if with even the regular 1.5 file without tcu tune power feels like its being seriously limited because the rpms start winding up and right at the point where it feels like it should start pulling hard AF, it just flatlines. I'm definitely getting the tcu tune in a few months.

Can anyone with this situation explain if you tuned your ecu first before your dsg, and then later on you flashed the tcu, did you get a power, or torque increase? Sorry, I'll probably just have to find out when I can get the tcu tun3

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Your power will some what be limited due to the torque limits set on the oem software. If you run the higher torque files its required. I think it's additional $350 worth of credits? I would get it as soon as i can.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I would def recommend the DSG tune when going stage2 or even with the stage1 / 1.5 HT. What ever the stage, as soon as you start adding more power, the DSG tune should highly be recommended. I made the mistake of thinking otherwise.

IMO - it should be mandatory when going stage2!

My car wasn't even Eurodyne, the tune was a lot more conservative and it had boost dips because it was reaching the TCU OEM Torque limits. The ECU would essentially cut boost for a few seconds.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I think the DSG tune should be required at stock power lol. It's slow as hell stock, and the OEM TCU doesnt even give you what little power you do have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk