GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street racing

adam1991

Banned
My God. You're clinically insane.

Entitled? Find where I said I was entitled to anything.

You mean the part about how there are no drag strips near you, you'd have to <gasp!> travel to find one, therefore you race on the public roads near you.

You're right--you never actually used the word "entitled". Care to put that before a judge?

You keep on saying insane things. That won't change the facts.

adam1991

Banned
Leave him alone. We need more organ donors.

man, isn't that the truth.

The problem is, he's as likely as not to cause innocent people to be donors.

And we've all seen the stories about drunk drivers killing an entire vanful of young family members, while themselves walking away. All we'd need is Hoon walking away while the breadwinner with 3 young kids is paralyzed or killed, all because Hoon felt entitled to do what he wanted to do without any thought of anyone else.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Youth comes a underdeveloped sense of mortality. Back in the mid-century, when I was young, no one could win a game of chicken with me. Now I pussy out.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Come on baby, don't fear the Reaper
Baby take my hand, don't fear the Reaper
We'll be able to fly, don't fear the Reaper

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
This thread did not need to be created. Most people know the inherent risk and are willing to take it - whether that decision is the correct decision is up to our judgment but likely will not change no matter how many statistics there are or aren't about the subject.

As for me, I can agree with it if there aren't other people around. I don't think its right for somebody to make the judgement "I can do this on a highway since this one lane is clear because I won't crash" because you are putting other people at risk. If someone decides to merge over, someone is going to get hurt as a result of your poor judgement. With distracted driving so common, who knows whats going to happen.

I've mentioned many times that a friend of mine and her baby daughter were killed by people who made a poor judgement call to race on a populated street and hit them while they were legally crossing.

Racing on a deserted backroad at midnight? I don't have an issue with. If a deer jumps through your windshield and roundhouses your windpipe, then whatever. Or if you crash into a tree, its your own fault and you didn't hurt someone else. I frequently drive what some would consider recklessly, but only on roads where I'm confident nobody is around.

I like to think (maybe I'm naive) that most people would agree with this. You will always have someone who will defend zigzagging at a hundred MPH through traffic because they "know what they're doing", and all we can do is hope they don't kill our children one day. Nothing can change poor judgement.

This argument needs to stop popping up on the forums. Its a thorn in everyones side and nobody is going to change their behavior because someone on a forum tells them to.

adam1991

Banned
Most people know the inherent risk and are willing to take it

How dare those people "take the risk" on MY behalf, or on the behalf of anyone else, without involving me or those other people.

And that's the crux of the matter.

And your knowledge of what's around you and who may or may not be involved is by definition faulty when you're talking public roads.

I can only imagine that some 20 somethings have killed innocents on the road with their street racing, and are to this day complaining about "they shouldn't have been there".

As for me, I can agree with it if there aren't other people around.

That's called a race track, not a public road. By definition, you can't know there aren't other people around on a public road. Then there are the houses and whatever on the road.

I've mentioned many times that a friend of mine and her baby daughter were killed by people who made a poor judgement call to race on a populated street and hit them while they were legally crossing.

Racing on a deserted backroad at midnight? I don't have an issue with.

How do you know it's deserted and will remain so during the activity? You can't. And you can't control it. It's a public road, and people can and will be there--without warning.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
How dare those people "take the risk" on MY behalf, or on the behalf of anyone else, without involving me or those other people.

And that's the crux of the matter.

And your knowledge of what's around you and who may or may not be involved is by definition faulty when you're talking public roads.

I can only imagine that some 20 somethings have killed innocents on the road with their street racing, and are to this day complaining about "they shouldn't have been there".

That's called a race track, not a public road. By definition, you can't know there aren't other people around on a public road. Then there are the houses and whatever on the road.

How do you know it's deserted and will remain so during the activity? You can't. And you can't control it. It's a public road, and people can and will be there--without warning.

Many serious "street racers" will have lookouts at the ends of roads. I grew up in the country with a lot of quarter mile stretches where people would do this. Lookouts with walkie talkies keeping an eye out for any oncoming traffic. Not saying this happens every time, but it does happen.

You seem to have missed this part of my post
whether that decision is the correct decision is up to our judgment but likely will not change no matter how many statistics there are or aren't about the subject

Seriously, this argument isn't worth having. Nobody will have their mind changed, no matter how angry you get. I'm not disagreeing with you that people shouldn't decide it's okay to put other people in danger just because they think they can. I don't think its right or moral. However people can and will make their own judgement. Nothing you say will change that.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The real problem here is that street racing leads to much larger crimes like we learned from the Fast and Furious documentaries.

That is the issue that needs to be addressed.

Hoon & Friends are probably planning a heist right now.

adam1991

Banned
I'm not disagreeing with you that people shouldn't decide it's okay to put other people in danger just because they think they can. I don't think its right or moral. However people can and will make their own judgement. Nothing you say will change that.

"there isn't a drag strip anywhere near me, therefore I'm going to drag race on whatever roads I have".

Why not "there's no shooting range near me, therefore I'm going to practice shooting in my back yard. Is that your house back there? I'll be careful, I promise. After all, I'm a responsible person."?

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
"there isn't a drag strip anywhere near me, therefore I'm going to drag race on whatever roads I have".

Why not "there's no shooting range near me, therefore I'm going to practice shooting in my back yard. Is that your house back there? I'll be careful, I promise. After all, I'm a responsible person."?
Guy, you're coming off like a tool. You've said your piece, and you had to know going in to this thread that you weren't going to change any opinions. Just drop it and think less of the people who street race, trying to change opinions on the internet is like trying to hook up with your cousin. Sure you can try, but everybody seeing it happen is just watching for their own entertainment.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Literally told you, I don't disagree with you. What are you arguing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk