GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mystic's Golf 1.8T

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I just messed around with adding things to my cart... maybe the threshold is $150. I got interior LEDs also. So my cart was the splitter, Obdeleven and the LEDs. I thought it was free shipping on orders over $100 but it didn't show free shipping until I added the lights, which I didn't notice when I made my order.

Could find something else you want/need, fluid change kit or tool of some type.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
After some more research and consideration, it sounds like going with 18x8 et45 would be a better options vs. 18x8.5 et42 as I would probably rub up front. Unfortunately, Enkei is out of stock on the TX5 18x8 et45 and are likely discontinuing that line :(

So now I've decided to go dark! Sounds like the Nuespeed RSE10 18x8.5 et45 have been tried and proven on VWR springs (which I just ordered new on sale for $199 :D).

Last edited:

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Splitter is here! Very happy I decided to go with the textured version vs the gloss. Can’t wait to get them on the car next week! Sorry. No pics of wheels as they were shipped directly to the shop.

Last edited:

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Springs came too and gummy bears!

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Thats cool that they included bump stops... mine did not and I ended up trimming the rear down...

you got an outrageous deal on the splitter... see if you can get their side skirts and rear valance trim to match!

Also... id check out 18" RPF1s... they might have the look youre interested in...

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Got my splitter in the mail earlier this week, thanks to OP for sharing the deal... The texture looks to be a good match for the GTI rear valance texture, which I'm running on my TDI.

OP, what side skirts are you going with, if any? I'm thinking my car is going to look weird with the rear valance and front splitter but no side skirts. I like that the R side skirts don't require drilling but not sure if the texture or look of them will match. I think the GTI side skirts have a cleaner more classic appearance and the texture should match all around. I wonder if VW would sell me the little mounting blocks for the R skirts (or if I can find a part number and source them elsewhere) then I can could mount GTI skirts by drilling into those.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
you got an outrageous deal on the splitter... see if you can get there side skirts and rear valance trim to match!
I checked. Maxton only makes side skirts for GTIs. Which means I would have to get GTI sideskirts first then put on the Maxton ones under it. I'll start w/ the GTI skirts then we will see :) How do you like your GTI skirts w/ the Maxton splitter? Have you thought about adding the Maxton side skirts to your GTI skirts?

The Maxton rear valance is too aggressive for my taste. Especially since I only plan on doing a stage 1 tune. Don't want to be all show and no go.

Also... id check out 18" RPF1s... they might have the look youre interested in...
Those 18" RPF1s are SICK! But I've already got a set of 18x8.5 RSe10s in ready to be mounted.

OP, what side skirts are you going with, if any? I'm thinking my car is going to look weird with the rear valance and front splitter but no side skirts. I like that the R side skirts don't require drilling but not sure if the texture or look of them will match. I think the GTI side skirts have a cleaner more classic appearance and the texture should match all around.

I think I'm going to go w/ the GTI side skirts. Like you said, I think the texture would compliment nicely w/ the front splitter. I'm already drilling into the front bumper for the splitter, whats a few more holes on the side, lol.

As for the rear valance. I was planning to go w/ the oem center dual exhaust valance from VW (5G0071610BGRU). But looking at the photos online, I think the part comes smooth w/o texture. I might just try to add texture to it with a spray on texture then paint it matte black to match.

Bäsemödel, looks like you have the center dual center exhaust valance from your journal. Is there texture on that valance? If it's smooth, how does it match w/ your GTI skirts and front splitter?

Last edited:

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Got the springs, wheels, and splitter mounted on the car today! I have to say I'm super happy with everything! Totally transformed the look of the car. The Maxton splitter compliments the stock bumper nicely. It adds just the right amount of aggressiveness. The RSe10s are amazing. I love how crisp and precise the edges of the spokes are. The 18x8.5 et45 are great. The front is super flush. The rears can use 3-5mm spacer. Love the matte gunmetal color. The VWR springs is a perfect drop. Pretty even wheel gap all around. I'm not a huge fan when the gap at the top is way smaller than the gap on the sides. The ride and handling is much improved now imo. The stock height causes the car to roll and bounce around so much. Now its planted nice and firm on the road. And no more wheel spin when pulling in 1st or 2nd gear with wider tires wrapped Conti DWS 06. Can't be happier right now!

Last edited:

khng

Wow, looks great! just got my 18x8.5 wheels installed on my Golf, going to get Eibach springs installed next week!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Did you pull the bumper to install the splitter? I only have jack stands and I'm thinking I want it on a lift to install properly. I would be upset if I didn't get it the right position. Ughh, might just have a shop install it. I can't imagine it being more than 2 hours of labor, if that.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Did you pull the bumper to install the splitter? I only have jack stands and I'm thinking I want it on a lift to install properly. I would be upset if I didn't get it the right position. Ughh, might just have a shop install it. I can't imagine it being more than 2 hours of labor, if that.

I removed the bumper when I did mine... wasnt too difficult if you know what to disassemble from where....

I also didnt used the glue so I could remove it for each winter...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've had the bumper all but removed to install my Osram headlights, suppose I could go all the way. I would prefer not to use the glue, although I won't be removing it as we don't have winter in LA. Did you add additional screws/hardware or does the included hold fine without the glue?

Splitter and car looks great MysticBlueX3, great progress.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!

My original plan was to take the bumper off. Place the bumper upside down for the install. First drill the holes where you want it in the splitter. Then align the splitter to the bumper and mark where you want to drill into the bumper. Since the car was already in the shop for wheels and on a lift, I had the shop install it. They charged me $60. Less than an hour of work. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to do it on jack stands or a ramp. You will probably need people to help you hold the splitter in place while you mark the holes to drill.

I've had the bumper all but removed to install my Osram headlights, suppose I could go all the way. I would prefer not to use the glue, although I won't be removing it as we don't have winter in LA. Did you add additional screws/hardware or does the included hold fine without the glue?

The shop didn't use glue. The screws were more than enough to hold it securely in place. The splitter came with 14 screws and the type of nuts with plastic on the inside to prevent the nut from rattling loose. They placed 6 screws in the center where the air vents are (2 screws per vertical fin) and 4 screws on each side.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
A little update after having the springs/wheels/tires combo on the car for a month. The car definitely rides a little lower than when the springs were first installed. I would say it sits another 1/4” lower. My initial review stands. Still very happy with the springs/wheels/tires. Brings a smile to my face every time I drive or look at at the car. Overall ride quality feels OEM. Not too harsh. I feel so much connected to the road now. Although the roads where I live are pretty good. One time I hit a pot hole and it was definitely a jolt. I did have 3 co-workers in my car once. I would say the total weight of all of us were probably 700+lbs. The car did bottom out twice on the highway during that trip. Luckily most of the time, its just my wife and daughter in the car and I’ve haven’t had it rub yet.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Ok. So far I have Ed's rep front headlights, Maxton diffuser, VWR springs and RSe10s 18x8.5s. I have a set of yellow Stoptech BBKs w/ 355mm rotors on the way. I'm thinking the front end is looking pretty mean and aggressive. I need to step up the game on the rear. So I've contemplating doing a center exit exhaust and rear spoiler. For the spoiler I have 3 options:

1) Adding side fins only. Least aggressive and cheapest mod. I like the side fins but the spoiler still looks short and wimpy.

2) OEM single piece sport spoiler. Found $320 new on ebay. OEM part. Not too pricy but lack option to add side fins.

3) 6 pcs Clubsport spoiler. Looks like about $1,400 in parts but they look so sick from what I see on a fellow member's car journal.

For the exhaust my options are

1) Muffler delete and custom pipes and tips w/ OEM center exit rear valance. Cheapest but not sure it will be too loud. I have heard both ends. Some say its not too loud and doesn't drone. Some says its too loud and the drone is unbearable.
2) AWE track exhaust modified to work w/ OEM center exit rear valance. Most expensive route but sounds like it will be more tame than a muffler delete.

Instead of the OEM center exit rear valance, I've also found one on Aliexpress that looks more aggressive and wrap all the way around to the wheel well like the GTI and R.

OEM center exit rear valance. As you can see, it does not wrap all the way to the wheel well

Aliexpress center exit rear valance. Wraps to the wheel well and also have some added fins.

What are people's thoughts?

Last edited: