- 8" Discover Pro

Waiting to be Installed
- BMS IC

Wish List
- South Bend Stage 2 Daily Clutch
- BMS IC
- Power Folding Mirrors w/ BSM
- Ambient Footwell Lighting
- Powder Coated Rear Calipers/Carriers (to match front)
- Osram LED Head Lights
- Digital Cockpit

My Story
Picked up a new Golf back in January. A 2017 Tungsten Silver Golf 1.8T Wolfsburg edition 5MT w/ black interior. Got a pretty sweet deal w/ the MK7.5 coming out. The whole idea was to get something inexpensive, have 4 doors and practical, a manual, cheap so I can save money, but was still fun to drive and throw around.

I was really impressed by the fit and finish of the car. For an entry level VW w/ just one trim up from base model you get:

- Backup camera
- Keyless entry
- Push to Start Button
- Fake leather seats which is just as good as real leather IMO.
- Touch screen entertainment system w/ Apple Car Play
- Heated front seats
- Front collision warning/breaking system
- Blind spot detection

The few minor things that bugs me are:

- 5MT, 6 would be better but I've have since gotten use to it.
- Front Wheel drive. My last two cars were AWD (Audi S4) and RWD (BMW 135i)
- 16" wheels! And the stock tires are crap too.
- The suspension and huge wheel gap. This thing rides higher than my wife's SUV and bounces around like crazy. Easy fix I guess.
- The quiet exhaust and those ugly stock pipes.
- Yellow halogen headlights.

Other than that, I'm very happy w/ the car and the low price tag. I guess I probably could have gotten a stock GTI w/ the money dropped on the MODs but then I wouldn't get the fun of modding and making the Golf my own =) Plus, it was a lower financial hit up front and I can choose the timing of the mods.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Welcome to the 1.8 club. You'll be amazed once you get an ecu tune. Completely transforms the car.
Great color btw.

myles1

Ready to race!
Great looking 1.8T. I've completed a few mods you've listed on my 1.8, so let me know if you're looking for help with them. Happy modding!

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Great looking 1.8T. I've completed a few mods you've listed on my 1.8, so let me know if you're looking for help with them. Happy modding!

Thanks! I’ve started reading some of your journal and very inspiring! I especially enjoy reading about the coding that you have done. I definitely miss the passenger mirror dip when reversing feature. I’ve had that in my last two cars and it was so helpful. Also, it’s nice to see other non-GTI members modding their cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Welcome to the club! You've got a good list of mods already, but let me recommend you look into a dogbone insert. One of the absolute best bang for your buck mods, and they really do wonders for fixing some of that slop in the drivetrain.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

myles1

Ready to race!
Thanks! I’ve started reading some of your journal and very inspiring! I especially enjoy reading about the coding that you have done. I definitely miss the passenger mirror dip when reversing feature. I’ve had that in my last two cars and it was so helpful. Also, it’s nice to see other non-GTI members modding their cars!

Hey mate, I haven’t got a journal up here so it must have been someone else’s. Glad to see you’ve found useful information on the forum though! The forum has been my #1 resource for the past year.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Added a few simple mods from my list!

- VW Roof rack from a fellow forum member. Totally transforms the look of the car!
- Ebay Aluminum pedals
- Ebay Aluminum door sills
- Ebay Chrome exhaust tips

Last edited:

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
I actually did this mod back in May of last year. Finally got around to posting some pics. Bought these ED replicas from another forum member that never put them on his wagon. Thanks golf2k87 if you are reading this! It was nice to meet you! It came with Morimoto ballasts, wiring harness, and bulbs. The bulbs were 4500k which I found too yellow next to the blueish DRL LEDs. I will probably switch over to 6500k eventually.

Install: The install was pretty straight forward. Direct plug and play. Doesn't throw any errors after the install. Took about 2-3 hours. I followed a DIY guide and video I've found. I tucked the driver side ballast next to the battery and the passenger ballast under the side fender panel. My only complaint is I was not able to adjust the lights horizontally. I've tried adjusting both screws on the housing (one is suppose to be vertical adjustment and the other horizontal) but turning both screws only adjust the light up and down. The horizontal positioning is perfect on the passenger headlight but the driver side light is a bit skewed towards the right. I guess I can shim the housing a little so it rotates to the left a little to compensate. But its not bad enough nor do I drive at night enough for me to go through that hassle.

Quality: The built quality of these replicas are very good minus not being able to adjust the light horizontally. The fitment was like OEM.

Looks: Much better than the stock halogens. A must mod for those w/ halogens. Now the front of the car actually matches the u-shape elements of the rear taillights. It also gives the car a more aggressive look. The eyelid and the inside of the housing actually has some cool texture to it. Great attention to detail. Too bad the eyelids get covered up by the hood.

Performance: Night time visibility is much better (when I do drive at night). Here is a side by side.

Reliability: I've been using the lights now for 9 months. No issues w/ the LED DRLs at all. Every now and then the passenger HID headlight would not turn on. I would get a light error on my dash. It only happens on a cold start. It started happening when the weather got cold. We will see if it goes away when the weather warms up in the coming months. The HID would turn on by itself after awhile. I'm assuming some relay is probably stuck due to the cold but once the engine bay warms up it unsticks? But again, doesn't happen enough for me to find the root of the problem.

Before:

After:

Last edited:

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Now that taxes are done and there are no surprises, I've finally decided to cross a big item off my list. Lowering springs and wheels! I'm going to go w/ VWR springs, 18x8.5 et42 Enkei TX5s with 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. I really like the oem look of the Pretoria (10 spoke star pattern) and the Enkei TX5s fits the bill. After seeing pictures of them on a GTI, another fellow member on this forum, I was sold.

Initially, I was holding off on any big ticket items as I was planning to save money for another car. Possibility a used M2 or used 6MT TTRS. The Golf would be the dad car (take the kids to school, park, playdates, etc.) and the coupe would be the fun car. But with another kid on the way, its looking more like the Golf will get way more use and the coupe will mostly sit in the garage. So its more practical to just stick with the Golf and spend the money on mods where it will get the most enjoyment.

New Mod List (in order):
- Enkei TX5 and VWR Lowering Springs
- Maxton Front Lip
- CTS Intake
- Dual Center Exhaust and Rear Valance
- JB4
- VW Roof Spoiler
- Steering Wheel Wrap w/ Grey Stitching
- Shift Boot w/ Grey Stitching
- BFI Shift Knob
- GTI side skirt

Last edited:

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
I guess its my lucky day. ECS Tuning had the front splitter I want at 75% off!

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I guess its my lucky day. ECS Tuning had the front splitter I want at 75% off!

You just made my day. I ordered one as well. Added an Obdeleven Pro (that I wanted anyway) to get free shipping on the whole lot. Great deal on this for the Golf drivers. I'm already running the GTI rear valance, now just have to choose side skirts to round off the look of my TDI.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Yeah. Pretty funny shipping cost more than the part. I had to pay for shipping too. I think you have to spend a minimum amount to get free shipping. But $100 for a brand new front splitter shipped to your door is still a steal :D