GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mystic's Golf 1.8T

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Finally got the StopTech BBKs on the car. What can I say. Totally worth the wait! The bigger rotors fill the wheels nicely and the yellow calipers are gorgeous with the Tungsten Silver paint. Will give some more reviews after a few days of driving/braking time. Nearing the end of my must have mod list. Might be time to put the brakes on the mods! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Looks great, especially in that yellow. Grab some power pack rear brakes and paint the caliper yellow to match, fill out that rear wheel, haha. I have big brakes up front and the rear looks so silly, granted the rear TDI brakes are smaller than the TSI I think. Keep up the progress, inspires me to one day start a thread for my Golf.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Looks great, especially in that yellow. Grab some power pack rear brakes and paint the caliper yellow to match, fill out that rear wheel, haha. I have big brakes up front and the rear looks so silly, granted the rear TDI brakes are smaller than the TSI I think. Keep up the progress, inspires me to one day start a thread for my Golf.

Thanks! Bigger rear rotors and powder coating the yellow rear calipers would be nice but it’s not really high on my list of future mods. I actually don’t mind the look of the smaller rear rotors. And I feel like if I powder coated the rear calipers it would be too much yellow on the car. If anything I might just swap out the rear stock rotors for slotted ones to match the front.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Read the whole build very nice. I do like everything you got going on, its like everything cosmetically that i want, i went the small enginge upgrade route first, then cosmetic stuff last aka, the expensive stuff

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
A little photo shoot at work today. Love the yellow pop of the StopTechs!

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I saw you were looking for a set of GTI side skirts. They can be had brand new for about $130 each, probably less than $300 shipped together which isn't too bad. Just have to make sure a competent shop installs them. I'm considering having the dealer do it to ensure they are perfectly aligned, assuming they will install them on a car they don't "apply" to.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Read the whole build very nice. I do like everything you got going on, its like everything cosmetically that i want, i went the small enginge upgrade route first, then cosmetic stuff last aka, the expensive stuff

Thanks! My commute is so short, only a few miles with no highway. Any performance upgrade would not be utilized much. So I decided to do cosmetic first. I do have plans to do a tune hopefully this summer!

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Thanks! My commute is so short, only a few miles with no highway. Any performance upgrade would not be utilized much. So I decided to do cosmetic first. I do have plans to do a tune hopefully this summer!

Ya tune is alot of fun. Def my favorite upgrade i did just a jb4 way faster for sure, second favorite is dp sounds way better and a little faster

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
I saw you were looking for a set of GTI side skirts. They can be had brand new for about $130 each, probably less than $300 shipped together which isn't too bad. Just have to make sure a competent shop installs them. I'm considering having the dealer do it to ensure they are perfectly aligned, assuming they will install them on a car they don't "apply" to.

I saw that. I’ve been cheap so just keeping an eye for a cheap set of used ones in good condition. But likely I’ll just buy new. I have a local shop that is awesome and very reasonable with price. They installed my front splitter and it lines up perfectly. And they only charge me for 1/2 hr labor.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I love seeing Golf 1.8t threads. The whole package really appeals to me, and this is an awesome example. Kudo's

Curious, did you upgrade the stock brake booster when installing the BBK, or did you leave as is, and if so... any complaints?

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
I love seeing Golf 1.8t threads. The whole package really appeals to me, and this is an awesome example. Kudo's

Curious, did you upgrade the stock brake booster when installing the BBK, or did you leave as is, and if so... any complaints?

Thanks for the kind words. IMO, the 1.8 is a great blank canvas. You get a lot of bang for you buck in terms of cosmetic and performance mods. I mean the transformation from stock is night and day. Here are some pics of my Golf the day I got her vs. now.

There are a few other more impressive 1.8 build threads here that have really inspired me to start my own. Look up build threads from SKVeeDubR or Basemodel.

And I left the stock break booster as is. No complaints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the kind words. IMO, the 1.8 is a great blank canvas. You get a lot of bang for you buck in terms of cosmetic and performance mods. I mean the transformation from stock is night and day. Here are some pics of my Golf the day I got her vs. now.

There are a few other more impressive 1.8 build threads here that have really inspired me to start my own. Look up build threads from SKVeeDubR or Basemodel.

And I left the stock break booster as is. No complaints.

Tasteful transformation taking shape here! Digging the center-exit exhaust too! Underrated on our platform for sure, but looks sooooooo goooood!

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Started developing some rattling lately. It only happens when the car is warm. Sounds like the exhaust is hitting against something metal. I can replicate the sound just by shaking the exhaust tips. Took the car into the shop today and got to the bottom of the rattling. A section of the exhaust pipe was hitting against the metal bracket that holds the rear sway bar.

When the car is warm. The exhaust had enough flex and give to rub against it. When the car is cold, the exhaust was too stiff. That is why I was only able to replicate the rattle when the car was warmed up. The fix was simple. We heated that section of the pipe and put a dimple in it to give it more clearance. Just like that, no more rattle!

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Been on a performance mod kick lately. Been researching IC, stage 1 tunes, LSDs, and RSBs. Currently thinking about BMS or Magic/Majestic IC, APR stage 1, and ST rear sway bars. What do you guys think? All feedback comments welcome!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I vote YES on LSD... Can't comment on the others, i have a TDI with torsion beam rear but... YES to those too! Did you ever pick up the GTI side skirts?