GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cant Install Fog lights

DaveEvening

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, in MQB BCM you can code many pins like you want. So even if you dont have 5 and 45, there might be others you can use. I can check which one you can use if you will send me Adaptation Map of #09 module

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Well, in MQB BCM you can code many pins like you want. So even if you dont have 5 and 45, there might be others you can use. I can check which one you can use if you will send me Adaptation Map of #09 module

How can i send you that? i have OBDeleven

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
i did look, pins 45 and 5 are not there. i saw in a another forum that Don said its possible to wire them to other pins on the bcm and code it to work. i really hope this is true

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reaper: Hi. Forgive me if you already know this, but as I explain in my (now, very dated) Leuchte programming primer, each of the 35 x exterior lamps on a mk7 is controlled by a "Leuchte-set" - which is a group of 19 x adaptation channels with the same beginning name. For example, the traditional Leuchte-set for the left-side front fog-light is Leuchte12NL LB45. Notice the part of the Leuchte-set mane "B45". This means that that this particular Leuchte-set controls pin #45 on the "B" socket of the BCM. Here is a picture of a BCM showing the 3 x sockets (for reference).

However - in ALL of the BCM admaps that I have seen (and I have seen lots), there are usually about 6 x Leuchte-sets that are unused (and therefore "deactivated" by the factory).

If the factory pins for the front fog-lights are missing, the trick to finding alternative pins is as follows:

!. First identify in the car's BCM which Leuchte-sets are unused/deactivated.

2. Once this is known, then you need to identify from the Leuchte-set name (as above) the pin/socket numbers for these un-used Leuchte-sets.

3. Then you need to eye-ball (i.e. physically sight) which of these unused pins on the 3 x socket of the BCM are actually installed.

4. Then it's just a matter of replicating the wiring/Leuchte-values for the factory arrangement for the front fog-lights (i.e. including the installation of a suitable rotary light switch and perhaps an additional wire to the BCM).

Of course if ALL of the unused Leuchte-pins are missing and you still want to proceed, then you will need a new BCM. However, if you go down this path, please be aware that you will need to exactly replicate the code-string values form your old BCM onto the new BCM. And you will need to do the same for the settings on each of the 2,000-ish adaptation channels. So make sure that you create an Admap of the old BCM before it's removed from the car.

Finally, you also need to be aware that after you install the new BCM and the first time that you turn-on the ignition, a Component Protection error will be registered on the car that will "limit" the car's behavior (the degree of limitation varies depending on lots of things). The only legitimate way to remove this Component Protection error is by the dealer (who has access to VW's FAZIT system).

Don

PS: when identifying the unused Leuchte-pins, you should be aware that the BCM uses 3 x different size pins: the larger pins are connected to internal circuits that can tolerate higher electrical currents. If possible, I suggest that you use LED lamps in the fogs - and if you have a choice of alternative pins which can be used on the BCM, choose the pins with the largest size

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Check out my build thread for how I went about adding fogs. As a warning, you need to have some basic electrical experience...

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Reaper: Hi. Forgive me if you already know this, but as I explain in my (now, very dated) Leuchte programming primer, each of the 35 x exterior lamps on a mk7 is controlled by a "Leuchte-set" - which is a group of 19 x adaptation channels with the same beginning name. For example, the traditional Leuchte-set for the left-side front fog-light is Leuchte12NL LB45. Notice the part of the Leuchte-set mane "B45". This means that that this particular Leuchte-set controls pin #45 on the "B" socket of the BCM. Here is a picture of a BCM showing the 3 x sockets (for reference).

However - in ALL of the BCM admaps that I have seen (and I have seen lots), there are usually about 6 x Leuchte-sets that are unused (and therefore "deactivated" by the factory).

If the factory pins for the front fog-lights are missing, the trick to finding alternative pins is as follows:

!. First identify in the car's BCM which Leuchte-sets are unused/deactivated.

2. Once this is known, then you need to identify from the Leuchte-set name (as above) the pin/socket numbers for these un-used Leuchte-sets.

3. Then you need to eye-ball (i.e. physically sight) which of these unused pins on the 3 x socket of the BCM are actually installed.

4. Then it's just a matter of replicating the wiring/Leuchte-values for the factory arrangement for the front fog-lights (i.e. including the installation of a suitable rotary light switch and perhaps an additional wire to the BCM).

Of course if ALL of the unused Leuchte-pins are missing and you still want to proceed, then you will need a new BCM. However, if you go down this path, please be aware that you will need to exactly replicate the code-string values form your old BCM onto the new BCM. And you will need to do the same for the settings on each of the 2,000-ish adaptation channels. So make sure that you create an Admap of the old BCM before it's removed from the car.

Finally, you also need to be aware that after you install the new BCM and the first time that you turn-on the ignition, a Component Protection error will be registered on the car that will "limit" the car's behavior (the degree of limitation varies depending on lots of things). The only legitimate way to remove this Component Protection error is by the dealer (who has access to VW's FAZIT system).

Don

PS: when identifying the unused Leuchte-pins, you should be aware that the BCM uses 3 x different size pins: the larger pins are connected to internal circuits that can tolerate higher electrical currents. If possible, I suggest that you use LED lamps in the fogs - and if you have a choice of alternative pins which can be used on the BCM, choose the pins with the largest size

Wow, first of all thank you, thats a lot of information and how can i identify which leuchte sets are unused? is it a software thing?

and replacing the bcm sounds good but i think its more than just CP, i think the key needs programming again or something like that, and my fogs are already leds[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Check out my build thread for how I went about adding fogs. As a warning, you need to have some basic electrical experience...
I will check it out now, im pretty sure i have enough experience. i have done a few retrofits to this car.

Just read it and i saw you said you have pins 5 and 45. which makes it easy. i dont, i need to find new pins that can support this function and are unused

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
......... how can i identify which leuchte sets are unused? is it a software thing?

Reaper: Identifying unused Leuchte-sets is fairly easy:

If you are using VCDS, make an adaptation channel map of the BCM like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGP_XsaHiv0

If you have an OBD11 dongle, make a back-up of the Central Electric module like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZTvl2vli3Q

Once you have created one of these databases - search through the 35 x Leuchte-sets for the adaptation channel with the descriptor Lasstyp. Whenever the setting for this channel is "not active", the Leuchte-set is disabled and therefore it is a contender for your project

and replacing the bcm sounds good but i think its more than just CP, i think the key needs programming again or something like that, ...........[emoji16]

hmm........ as for your hypothesis that key programming is part of the BCM replacement process, I suggest that the immobiliser used in MQB platform vehicles (like the mk7) is generation V. As such, issues that are related to the fifth generation immobiliser (like key registration) are controlled by the module @ address hex17, which is variously known as the "Instrument", or "Dashboard" module depending on the diagnostic cable that you use!

But don't take my word for this advice: ask the friendly tech at your dealer. If the dealer confirms your hypothesis, I suspect that he is ripping you off for the cost of work that isn't needed :)

Don

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Reaper: Identifying unused Leuchte-sets is fairly easy: If you are using VCDS, make an adaptation channel map of the BCM like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGP_XsaHiv0

If you have an OBD11 dongle, make a back-up of the Central Electric module like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZTvl2vli3Q

Once you have created these databases - search through the 35 x Leuchte-sets for the adaptation channel with the descriptor Lasstyp. Whenever the setting for this channel is "not active", the Leuchte-set is disabled and therefore it is a contender for your project

hmm........ as for your hypothesis that key programming is part of the BCM replacement process, I suggest that the immobiliser used in MQB platform vehicles (like the mk7) is generation V. As such, issues that are related to the fifth generation immobiliser (like key registration) are controlled by the module @ address hex17, which is variously known as the "Instrument", or "Dashboard" module depending on the diagnostic cable that you use!

But don't take my word for this advice: ask the friendly tech at your dealer. If the dealer confirms your hypothesis, I suspect that he is ripping you off for the cost of work that isn't needed :)

Don

Ive just checked and this channels are not active - 2 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 27 30 31 32 33 34. thats quite a lot but i hope there are two existing pins.
and this are the corresponding pins

VLB10
VRB21
LB23
RB22
LB45
RB5
LB6
RB44
SLB35
SRB3
RC6
LC72
C61
C35
C36
C37

so can i just use any two unused pins from here?

yea i know the immobiliser is the the dashboard module but i thought you need to reprogram the key. maybe its when replacing the gateway.

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Ive just checked and this channels are not active - 2 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 27 30 31 32 33 34. thats quite a lot but i hope there are two existing pins.
and this are the corresponding pins

VLB10
VRB21
LB23
RB22
LB45
RB5
LB6
RB44
SLB35
SRB3
RC6
LC72
C61
C35
C36
C37

so can i just use any two unused pins from here?

yea i know the immobiliser is the the dashboard module but i thought you need to reprogram the key. maybe its when replacing the gateway.

yes, they are all potential alternatives (except for LB45 & RB4 - which you know are not populated). I assume from your list that your car has incandescent fittings - hence why there are so many "spare" Leuchte-sets

nope - replacing the CAN Gateway doesn't mean reprogramming the keys - just need to deal with Component Protection error because the module @ hex19 is the CP master module

Don

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
yes, they are all potential alternatives (except for LB45 & RB4 - which you know are not populated). I assume from your list that your car has incandescent fittings - hence why there are so many "spare" Leuchte-sets

nope - replacing the CAN Gateway doesn't mean reprogramming the keys - just need to deal with Component Protection error because the module @ hex19 is the CP master module

Don

Ok, i checked what pins exist on the bcm and the ones with V exist. now all the pins that are not active in the leuchte are unused too? and does the R and L mean left and right? or it doesnt matter?

VLB10 V
VRB21 V
LB23 X
RB22 X
LB45 X
RB5 X
LB6 X
RB44 X
SLB35 V
SRB3 V
RC6 V
LC72 FOOTWELL
C61 V
C35 X
C36 X
C37 X

Wow thats great, it makes installing them much easier than i thought

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Ok, i checked what pins exist on the bcm and the ones with V exist. now all the pins that are not active in the leuchte are unused too? and does the R and L mean left and right? or it doesnt matter?

VLB10 V
VRB21 V
LB23 X
RB22 X
LB45 X
RB5 X
LB6 X
RB44 X
SLB35 V
SRB3 V
RC6 V
LC72 FOOTWELL
C61 V
C35 X
C36 X
C37 X

Wow thats great, it makes installing them much easier than i thought

So - As I said previously, preference should be given to the largest pin sizes. Reference to L & R in the Leutch-set names means "Links" & "Rechts" which is German for "Left" & "Right". But of course, these are notional notations only - you can place the lamps from either side of the car to any pins and the BCM won't know, and won't care. For correctness though, it would be prudent to retain the factory VW nomenclature for Links and Rechts IMO.

You should be able to confirm from the vacant socket-end of the BCM connector that there are no wires connected to the pins for the Leuchte-sets that are disabled

Just as a further suggestion, I would first activate the Leutch-sets that you select and temporarily connect the new fog lights to the pins to confirm the viability of the project. That way you prove that the software part of the project works - before you install the lamps and new wiring

Don

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
So - As I said previously, preference should be given to the largest pin sizes. Reference to L & R in the Leutch-set names means "Links" & "Rechts" which is German to "Left" & "Right". But of course, these are notional notations only - you can place the lamps on either side of the car and the BCM won't know, and won't care.

Just as a further suggestion, I would activate the Leutch-sets that you select and temporarily connect the new fog lights to the pins to confirm the viability of the pins. That way you prove that the software part of the project works - before you install the lamps and new wiring

Don

oh ok, i will check later, i just wanted to make sure i have the pins and can actually install the fogs before i order the harness. i will physically check on the bcm what pins are unused.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey, update.
Don, It Works!
I Couldnt find any existing pins that were unused and were the biggest size, so I Had to use pins 10 and 21 on socket B(the fogs are LEDs so im not that worried), coded it and it works. Thanks a lot

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Well, Im getting an error that says fault vehicle lighting, but when I Check Central Electrics there are 0 faults, is it because i used pins 10 and 21?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Go re-read the chronology of the statements:

Seemed obvious to me he meant what was stupid was the hassle of what needs doing for fog lights, and not whatever you're talking about.

Stop feeling the need to get so offended (on someone else behalf no less).