GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Headlight switch mod

Rollback50k1

Ready to race!
Warning: I take no responsibility if you follow the procedure below, you will be doing this at your own free will.

Flaw that’s been brought up: Personally it did not bother me and seeing there were other members that did this mod who didn’t mention it, I didn’t think much of it. However I’d like to be fair since it was brought to my attention that the switch had somewhat of a free-flow after doing this mod once the switch is pulled to enable the fogs. I don’t know how many (if any at all) experienced this but I wanted to just share this.

What this DIY will do:
Alter the headlight switch internally in a matter that will allow you to run fogs without your low beams.

Parts used: 2015 NAR headlight switch with fogs and no Auto feature (although it has been mentioned to work fine with a switch equipped with the ‘Auto’ feature a different thread where I initially posted this DIY in)

Tools: Unfortunately I didn’t have a Dremel or sandpaper but managed to get this done. It would definitely make life easier if you had the following:
- Small/Skinny pick or flat head
- Dremel with some sort of grinding tool
- Sand paper (probably a few different grits to get it silky smooth)
- Lubricant (not sure what they used when assembling the switch but it was white color if that helps)

I decided to take my headlight switch out and take a look at the insides to see why or what is preventing/blocking the switch from engaging the fogs without the low beams . To no surprise I found that it was as simple as the molded tabs (i later refer to them as ‘slugs’) inside.

Getting a euro switch without the Auto position has been on my list of things to get but I haven’t been in a rush to buy one so I figured there would be no harm in possibly damaging my stock switch. I probably won’t run this switch forever since I’m eventually getting a rear fog lamp which I would would then need a completely different switch and I’m not hacking up the wiring.

I started off by pushing the 4 tabs out of the way in order to split the switch up.

Next you’ll see two brown plastic slugs which have been molded to guide the two pins depending the orientation you put the switch in (Off > Parking lights > Full On > Full On with Fogs). I didn’t take pictures of the process to get the brown pieces out but it’s pretty self explanatory once you’re in there. Your best bet is to grind them down with a Dremel because this piece is super tough and finish it off with some sand paper. Basically just trim off the ‘bridge’ that runs diagonally and across. Make sure to clean up any pieces of plastic and make it as smooth as possible otherwise the switch will feel somewhat rough and jerky while you’re turning the knob.

For reference, these are the 4 positions it is molded to work with on my switch without Auto lights;

Off

Accessory/City lights

Low beams

Fogs and low beams

Fogs and Accessory/City lights
(I goofed and didn’t take a picture....hehe sorry)

I don’t have any after shots because I don’t have a Dremel and it looks kinda rough.

Hope this was easy to follow, just don’t forget to add some lube and make it as clean as possible so it doesn’t feel so ‘notchy’ when changing positions. At some point I may pick up another switch and take pictures throughout the process.

-Martin

Last edited:

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Adding on:

Might want to get a small 45/90 degree pliers if you have apple banana fingers. Helps when putting back the small springs. I have a SE with LP, so there is the "Auto" position on the switch.

With the panel removed.

Using the pliers pull down and remove the springs. Then slide the plastic clips out (remember when reinstalling that they slide IN to the hole).

Using the small screwdriver pop out the brown plastic slug. The white.... part is held in with a spring, and only one side comes out.

After pulling it out sand the middle ridge down. Credit to sa316 for the photo. I circled the area that is sanded. I don't know how sa316 got his so smooth. I used a Dremel and mine is definitely not that clean.

When putting it back together slide one slug into the side where the white part is in, and using the pliers grab the other end and shove it back in. I used my finger to hold it in place as I put the other slug back in. Slide the spring onto the base first, then the black plastic clips. Using the pliers grab the spring and put it back on the bottom of the clip.

Mine is still a little notchy when pulling it out for parking light/fogs but it works. Turning it from Off/Auto/Parking/Low beam still feels stock.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Good job with documenting the DIY with detailed pics.

Actually its interesting that i did a foglight retrofit on my G TSI 1.8., and ended up replacing the rotory switch completely with the one that came with the kit from china (AliExpress). Luckily with that switch, I can pull out the handle @ AUTO, Park Light and Low Beam positions, both for front and rear foglights.

I can pull it out and post the part numbers of this switch., so for those who are not comfortable messing with the switch mechanism can simply replace it.

Thanks,
Ravi.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Nice DIY; however, it is a lot easier to do this with VCDS. I will dig up the steps. You have to keep the switch pulled out if you do not want the fogs on when lights are on, but pretty easy to remember. I will attempt to find original thread I got this from; (I could not find, but I know Don DV52 provided; props Don).

This allows fogs to be run independently of xenons. In auto and Lights, both xenons and fogs are on; pull switch out to turn fogs off. Driving light switch position xenons are off and fogs are on.

Address 09
(ADP-(5)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion B 12) from not active to Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)
(ADP-(5)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion B 12) from not active to Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)
(ADP-(5)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion B 13) from not active to Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)
(ADP-(12)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion E 12) from not active to Nebellicht links
(ADP-(15)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Dimming Direction EF 12) from maximize to minimize
(ADP-(12)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion E 13) from not active to Nebellicht rechts
(ADP-(15)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Dimming Direction EF 13) from maximize to minimize

Last edited:

Rollback50k1

Ready to race!
Good job with documenting the DIY with detailed pics.

Actually its interesting that i did a foglight retrofit on my G TSI 1.8., and ended up replacing the rotory switch completely with the one that came with the kit from china (AliExpress). Luckily with that switch, I can pull out the handle @ AUTO, Park Light and Low Beam positions, both for front and rear foglights.

I can pull it out and post the part numbers of this switch., so for those who are not comfortable messing with the switch mechanism can simply replace it.

Thanks,

Ravi.

Thanks. And if I understand what you’re insinuating, yes, trimming/modifying the stock switch can be avoided by the obvious of replacing the switch. However, I think this would be beneficial for those like myself who don’t plan on buying a switch right away and want to make what they already have work the same way.

I guess to simplify it, both options are available.....replace it or follow the DIY.

Adding on:

Might want to get a small 45/90 degree pliers if you have apple banana fingers. Helps when putting back the small springs. I have a SE with LP, so there is the "Auto" position on the switch.

With the panel removed.

Using the pliers pull down and remove the springs. Then slide the plastic clips out (remember when reinstalling that they slide IN to the hole).

Using the small screwdriver pop out the brown plastic slug. The white.... part is held in with a spring, and only one side comes out.

After pulling it out sand the middle ridge down. Credit to sa316 for the photo. I circled the area that is sanded. I don't know how sa316 got his so smooth. I used a Dremel and mine is definitely not that clean.

When putting it back together slide one slug into the side where the white part is in, and using the pliers grab the other end and shove it back in. I used my finger to hold it in place as I put the other slug back in. Slide the spring onto the base first, then the black plastic clips. Using the pliers grab the spring and put it back on the bottom of the clip.

Mine is still a little notchy when pulling it out for parking light/fogs but it works. Turning it from Off/Auto/Parking/Low beam still feels stock.

Thank you and SA316 for providing those pictures on an “Auto” equipped switch. (Btw, for some reason the pictures weren’t coming up, so I copy and pasted the links into my browser, saved them and replaced them in the quote above Incase others are having an issue viewing them also. I definitely wish I had a Dremel or sandpaper, I’m guessing that would help get rid of the notchyness. Until you dig a little more, try turning the dial to Full-On with fogs, and see if you’re able to switch it to just Accessories/Fogs (this is what I’ve been doing since mine feels the same way you described yours feels)

Nice DIY; however, it is a lot easier to do this with VCDS. I will dig up the steps. You have to keep the switch pulled out if you do not want the fogs on when lights are on, but pretty easy to remember. I will attempt to find original thread I got this from; (I could not find, but I know Don DV52 provided; props Don).

This allows fogs to be run independently of xenons. In auto and Lights, both xenons and fogs are on; pull switch out to turn fogs off. Driving light switch position xenons are off and fogs are on.

Address 09
(ADP-(5)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion B 13) from not active to Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)
(ADP-(12)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion E 12) from not active to Nebellicht links
(ADP-(15)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Dimming Direction EF 12) from maximize to minimize
(ADP-(12)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion E 13) from not active to Nebellicht rechts
(ADP-(15)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Dimming Direction EF 13) from maximize to minimize

Thanks, Seems like that might work also, but i think that would mean a separate DIY.

Also, I think that ends up adding a little too many steps. The fogs function fine the way it was designed, except I wanted to add the ability of manually controlling them to come on regardless if I had the switch on Full-on or just Accessories/City lights.

-Martin

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Do it up, I love it (mostly for the esthetic portion of it and not needing to buy a euro switch as of yet until I get a rear fog lamp)

Let us know how it turns out!

-Martin

Did it. Works as prescribed. The only thing I am not happy with is that the switch is a little too free to move in any direction when it's pulled out, but I understand that's just how it is. Other than that i like this mod. I am not a big fan of bling, but considering i yellowed out my fogs, i'll enjoy running them with my replica U DRLs. Thanks for the DIY, i appreciate it.

Rollback50k1

Ready to race!
Did it. Works as prescribed. The only thing I am not happy with is that the switch is a little too free to move in any direction when it's pulled out, but I understand that's just how it is. Other than that i like this mod. I am not a big fan of bling, but considering i yellowed out my fogs, i'll enjoy running them with my replica U DRLs. Thanks for the DIY, i appreciate it.

Martin, I shared this DIY in the SoCal mk7 facebook group. I am sure someone will find it useful. Good job!

Awesome, I’m glad it worked out and I’m happy to hear you have shared it.

Also, thank you for bringing that up as a ‘flaw’. I’ll add that into the original post. Come to think of it, I didn’t even really pay much attention to that because it didn’t really bother me but I can see how some may not like that feeing. Maybe it has something to do with how much is being trimmed off? I’m considering picking up a broken switch and use it for the slugs. Maybe I can pinpoint where or how much trimming is actually needed. Otherwise like you said, it might just be the way it is.

-Martin

ineedboostedmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you Martin for the DIY!

Completed this free mod today with just a sandpaper tool and it turned out great! Mine isn't too knotchy. I can see how it could be slightly hard to pull out, but its really not that hard ;D..if you sand the middle bridge down properly.

I found that if you only sand down the middle bridge part and leave the diagonal part on the brown slug, you won't have the issue of moving around freely when in the fog position. It will give the fogs a secure fit while in all positions/modes.

Great mod to make the OEM light switch run the way it should've been running.

Rollback50k1

Ready to race!
Thank you Martin for the DIY!

Completed this free mod today with just a sandpaper tool and it turned out great! Mine isn't too knotchy. I can see how it could be slightly hard to pull out, but its really not that hard ;D..if you sand the middle bridge down properly.

I found that if you only sand down the middle bridge part and leave the diagonal part on the brown slug, you won't have the issue of moving around freely when in the fog position. It will give the fogs a secure fit while in all positions/modes.

Great mod to make the OEM light switch run the way it should've been running.

Glad to help and thank you for the tip! I’ll be sure to update that in the first post!

I’m considering picking up another stock switch to play with again and see if I can get some better walkthrough pictures (and potentially avoid notching the diagonal line, thanks to your insight!)

I do have 2 questions though;

1. What switch did you do this on?
2. Are you able to rotate the dial clockwise to engage the low beams once it’s in the fog position?

-Martin

ineedboostedmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
I do have 2 questions though;

1. What switch did you do this on?
2. Are you able to rotate the dial clockwise to engage the low beams once it’s in the fog position?

-Martin

I did it on my OEM American(?) switch model. The same switch as yours.

Since i only sanded the middle bridge and left the diagonal bridge part, it will prevent the switch from rotating, when the fog position is engaged in all modes. Its a secure fit so I don't have to worry about it flipping through to another position when the fog switch is pulled out.
Hope that answers your questions!

Knight Rider

Passed Driver's Ed
Just did it and it works! It took me longer than expected, but with a bit of trial and error I was able to do it. Thanks to all that took the time to upload directions and photos!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I applaud the intrepid DIY spirit. But just to throw this out there. You could also get an $18 switch and install it in 1 min. Time is money. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk