GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Warranty

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Lets keep this real instead of trying to be smart with the small print. and no i'm not going to upload a scan. its all online on VW'S WEBSITE. Find me any VW dealer that won't accept it. Then find me an insurance that isn't underwritten by anyone else.. And then find me someone who's GENUINELY been refused a warranty repair. Once any of those are met, i'll accept you have a point. Til then, you're just digging yourself a hole like any typical internet know it all who doesn't actually know anything. This is as good as a bumper to bumper and even say it wasn't i could or anyone else that bought it could get all their prorated money back minus $50. So what would you rather have? Nothing or a very good shot (as good as a bumper to bumper shot) at getting a free repair / engine / transmission replacement, or nothing.. You choose. I know what i'd rather have.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Authorized and Participating are the same thing, really. Arguing semantics. If you aren't authorized you're not participating and if you're not participating you're not authorized.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Authorized and Participating are the same thing, really. Arguing semantics. If you aren't authorized you're not participating and if you're not participating you're not authorized.

Exactly, Adam probably argued himself out of a decent warranty and walks away the loser & is still being smug about it. Normally this would be over 2k which no-one should go with at that price.. But for $790 for this type of coverage, the insurance company that's calculated the risk of anything going wrong (remember VW will pay for 2 yrs powertrain) so really they only have to pay for 1yr anything and anything over 2yrs the powertran that's not VW to cover) I'm guessing on average there's $400-$500 worth of repairs that a normal person spends. So VW makes some money & the insurance company makes some money and the owner sleeps tight. Its how any insurance works. But at $790, this platinum warranty is being sold at a damn good price ! Not some shady backyard US Fidelis here today, gone tomorrow type outfit or whatever he thinks it is. But backed by VW.

Yes i may never make a claim in the next 6yrs above the 3yr bumper to bumper and then i've lost $790, but if i time it right, and sell my car privately which gains a lot more than trading it in, then the buyer has the comfort of knowing he still has a good as bumper to bumper warranty.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Agreed! There is no such thing as an iron-clad 100% warranty anymore (manufacturer or 3rd party). For the $790, even if certain things are excluded, it's still a good deal.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Purchasing a warranty is like insurance in the sense that you are mitigating risk. No one can be covered 100% of the time for 100% of the circumstances. It comes down to what one is willing to pay vs. how much risk you perceive you are mitigating.

rlsedition

So you didn't read the contract before you signed it??????????

I come from the Honda/Acura world, where the extended warranty is a pure factory product and it covers MUCH more than VW does even on their factory 3/36 bumper to bumper. Remember, after 12 months VW stops covering squeaks and rattles.

And the Honda/Acura product applies at any dealer. And uses factory parts. Just like the original warranty. It's all in the computer; there's no paperwork, because it's a factory piece.

VW really, really just wants to shove product out the door and price it high and have you buy it and go away until you want to buy the next one at a high price.

Your comments suggest you'd have been better off buying one of those (ugly) Hondas.

VentoGT

Ready to race!
There was recently another user [here or on vortex] that was told by the dealer it is an extension of the 3/36 to match the new 2018 warranty bumper to bumper and when he read the fine print it was third party.

Doc is happy with what he has, all good, but I agree with Adam here that it is not the same as VW factory warranty. My local dealer where I bought my 2017 GSW confirmed this to me as well.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
There was recently another user [here or on vortex] that was told by the dealer it is an extension of the 3/36 to match the new 2018 warranty bumper to bumper and when he read the fine print it was third party.

That's the ugly part of this whole situation. Always read everything and if a promise/claim has been made and it's not in the contract, get it in writing.

Be informed and then base your decision on that. I see both sides here, but Adam was a bit more over the top in criticizing thedoc46. But this can be a very helpful thread going forward for all who read.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
That's the ugly part of this whole situation. Always read everything and if a promise/claim has been made and it's not in the contract, get it in writing.

Be informed and then base your decision on that. I see both sides here, but Adam was a bit more over the top in criticizing thedoc46. But this can be a very helpful thread going forward for all who read.

He was just trying to explain that the third party warranty is not the same as VWs bumper to bumper warranty.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
He was just trying to explain that the third party warranty is not the same as VWs bumper to bumper warranty.

But in what way exactly? That it has to be approved by someone other than the dealer? which both have too? Cover everything except modded parts? Which even you can still get away with, if you go about it in a pleasant way.

As long as getting to the destination is the same and costs the same and doesn't take any additional time, who cares which route you take.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm trying to find out if VW ultimately pays for the claim and the third-party only does the processing. This kind of relationship does exist in other industries. Many companies do whatever costs the least.

Was unable to find out. No one would tell me. The only way to find out is from a dealership, if they will tell you.

There is presently no CPO program for 2018's. VW is still working on it. This I was able to find out from a dealer.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
In all fairness Adam does seem to have a chip on his shoulder with regards to VW warranty & its general customer service in general. So maybe he is better off buying a fugly Honda. lol :p

Every product in the market has its pros / cons and there is nothing wrong in discussing the cons here. And for your last line in your comment, [emoji106].