GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Warranty

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
more exclusions than VW's? That must suck.

Link: https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PDFs/vehicle_service_contract_plan.pdf

Exclusions even with Platinum plan: Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard transmission clutch components, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, shock absorbers, audio, security or other systems not factory installed, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing, constant velocity joint boots, safety restraint systems, cellular phones, radar detectors, appliances, vinyl and convertible tops.

adam1991

Banned
Link: https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PDFs/vehicle_service_contract_plan.pdf

Exclusions even with Platinum plan: Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard transmission clutch components, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, shock absorbers, audio, security or other systems not factory installed, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing, constant velocity joint boots, safety restraint systems, cellular phones, radar detectors, appliances, vinyl and convertible tops.

And THAT'S what they put in the SELL SHEET!

You should see what's in the actual contract that the F&I guy prints out.

Here's the current brochure on VW's web site:

http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/brochures/2017/VSC_TC_CPO.pdf

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
i'll dig out the contract and have a good read.. Remember there's a powertrain on the car for 5yr / 60k, so i suspect this will just cover additional items. Even so, its fully refundable if i choose to terminate it early. so i wouldn't go and say i've just blown $790 on nothing. I wouldn't expect it to cover normal wear and tear items. Even VW's bumper to bumper doesn't cover brake pads or batteries.

adam1991

Banned
I had my F&I guy print out the actual contract. He made 2 prints, so he could look at it as well. He didn't know, until I pointed it out, that it was nothing more than a third party protection plan. He bought into the VW zone guy's talk about Drive Easy being a "pure VW product".

Of course, we didn't get to this point until I made it crystal clear to him that I was not buying whatever he wanted me to buy. Up to that point, I thought he WAS trying to sell me the VW product. Nope; he was trying to make more money by selling me the Fidelity Warranty based product that has nothing to do with VW. Oh, so my initial talk to you wasn't clear enough? I don't do third party protection plans.

And that's when "how about a pure VW product?" came out. I said, "show me". He shows me the Drive Easy brochure. I stopped him and said, "Wait a minute--I thought this is what we were talking about all along." That's when I realize he was trying to flimflam me.

Anyway, I told him--"you think this is a pure VW product? Look at the brochure." And I pointed out all the exclusions and the "at participating dealers and authorized repair centers". That's when he printed out the contract and I pointed out the rest of the BS that the Drive Easy contract contained...

...including the fact that it's backed NOT by VW, but by a third party provider. Then there was the expanded list of exclusions, and the fact that they allow for the use of "...like parts" that aren't VW parts, and...

He wasn't prepared for someone coming in and reading the details. Car salesmen expect emotional idiots to sign on whatever line the F&I guys tells them to so that they get to to their shiny new toy.

Business is business. VW *almost* lost a sale that day. I almost walked over this BS, because I originally came in because of the 2018 longer warranty. But I held my breath and signed, figuring if this doesn't work out in the end then I'll just chalk it up to experience and move on.

adam1991

Banned
i'll dig out the contract and have a good read.. Remember there's a powertrain on the car for 5yr / 60k, so i suspect this will just cover additional items. Even so, its fully refundable if i choose to terminate it early. so i wouldn't go and say i've just blown $790 on nothing. I wouldn't expect it to cover normal wear and tear items. Even VW's bumper to bumper doesn't cover brake pads or batteries.

So you didn't read the contract before you signed it??????????

I come from the Honda/Acura world, where the extended warranty is a pure factory product and it covers MUCH more than VW does even on their factory 3/36 bumper to bumper. Remember, after 12 months VW stops covering squeaks and rattles.

And the Honda/Acura product applies at any dealer. And uses factory parts. Just like the original warranty. It's all in the computer; there's no paperwork, because it's a factory piece.

VW really, really just wants to shove product out the door and price it high and have you buy it and go away until you want to buy the next one at a high price.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
So you didn't read the contract before you signed it??????????

I come from the Honda/Acura world, where the extended warranty is a pure factory product and it covers MUCH more than VW does even on their factory 3/36 bumper to bumper. Remember, after 12 months VW stops covering squeaks and rattles.

And the Honda/Acura product applies at any dealer. And uses factory parts. Just like the original warranty. It's all in the computer; there's no paperwork, because it's a factory piece.

VW really, really just wants to shove product out the door and price it high and have you buy it and go away until you want to buy the next one at a high price.

No i'm fairly sure this is a full backed by VW warranty. Run by VW, as they know it'll help a lull in 2017 sales as 2018's offer a 6yr. But til i get home and pull the contract i won't know for sure.. Its definitely not a maintenance contract like what's posted above. Its going to be the same as what they do when they certify a car. So as good as bumper to bumper.. I don't know what dealers you've been dealing with in the past but here if you're a good customer, they dont argue with you, with what's covered. My last few cars have been audi / VW, & customer service is pretty big down here why i live, so even when things are not supposedly covered they still cover it. Be it a nail in your tire or a new battery, after the 2yrs. Its how you go about it that makes the difference ;)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
No i'm fairly sure this is a full backed by VW warranty. Run by VW, as they know it'll help a lull in 2017 sales as 2018's offer a 6yr. But til i get home and pull the contract i won't know for sure.. Its definitely not a maintenance contract like what's posted above. Its going to be the same as what they do when they certify a car. So as good as bumper to bumper.. I don't know what dealers you've been dealing with in the past but here if you're a good customer, they dont argue with you, with what's covered. My last few cars have been audi / VW, & customer service is pretty big down here why i live, so even when things are not supposedly covered they still cover it. Be it a nail in your tire or a new battery, after the 2yrs. Its how you go about it that makes the difference ;)

no, it's not. VW Drive Easy is a third party protection plan, underwritten by and run by a third party, with bills evaluated and paid by same said third party.

I read the contract. Carefully.

adam1991

Banned
Now I need to look at my 2016's warranty to see if the battery and HID bulbs are 3 years. I still remember when battery's were only 2 years. MK6, I believe.

Edit: Yep, 3 years for each, just like the 2018's. Another example why there's probably no such thing as a true bumper-to-bumper warranty, at least not at a VW price point.

Trust me, at Honda there is.

(And in fact, when I complained about Honda and their glass transmissions, specifically MY glass transmission, someone at the dealership tried to defend Honda by saying "you should have gotten the extended warranty, that's what it's for". No moron, I bought a Honda--don't tell me that everyone should know the transmissions are made of glass.)