GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS Intercooler

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I'm honestly not happy with the temps either, but many people told me it was normal. I'm running a plate, but it doesn't seem to cover the opening much. I'll measure my opening when I get a chance. I'd like to get to the bottom this. Someone at the meet checked my car and said everything looked good from a install standpoint.

The log where ambient is 76 and IAT is 114 and dropping to 104 is abnormal. Every IC I have a decent log for drops to within 15 of ambient.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I rarely see 15 above ambient since installing this IC. :(

So many variables with these types of test. Just a note from my stock IC vs IE IC testing.

Stock IC with ambient of 78 degrees when I was at WOT the temp difference between ambient and IAT was between 21 and 43 degrees.

For the IE with ambient of 82 degrees when I was at WOT the temp difference between ambient and IAT was between 12.6 and 28 degrees.

If course I'm seeing the closer to 6k rpm is the lower temps it seems to take a while before the IAT's drop once you floor the throttle.

Cruise temps are the same or maybe worse with the IE when I've looked at my P3.

I guess I'm not sure there is something wrong...except from that datazap you posted earlier. I'm not sure if that's the only one you have but it didn't look like your IAT's dropped much as WOT.

I mean I don't see how the intercooler can be installed incorrectly without knowing right away. I wish I could do more to help.

Have you tried reaching out to BMS?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
So many variables with these types of test. Just a note from my stock IC vs IE IC testing.

Stock IC with ambient of 78 degrees when I was at WOT the temp difference between ambient and IAT was between 21 and 43 degrees.

For the IE with ambient of 82 degrees when I was at WOT the temp difference between ambient and IAT was between 12.6 and 28 degrees.

If course I'm seeing the closer to 6k rpm is the lower temps it seems to take a while before the IAT's drop once you floor the throttle.

Cruise temps are the same or maybe worse with the IE when I've looked at my P3.

I guess I'm not sure there is something wrong...except from that datazap you posted earlier. I'm not sure if that's the only one you have but it didn't look like your IAT's dropped much as WOT.

I mean I don't see how the intercooler can be installed incorrectly without knowing right away. I wish I could do more to help.

Have you tried reaching out to BMS?
Def so many variables, which is why I'm more concerned with cruise temps. I wish I were smarter yesterday and logged our run. That would have been some fun data to see.

It would be tough to compare our WOT numbers because: I have a smaller turbo (IS20), I don't have a DP, and I'm running a good amount of boost for a small turbo and no DP. My car and setup may just be an outlier and shouldn't be considered for typical results.

Yesterday was the hardest and longest I've ever beat on this car and it felt strong the whole time.

I showed BMS the log and they said it looked good because the temps weren't rising.

I think I'm just going to keep an eye on it. Maybe I need to install a DP to see if temps come down. ;)

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Def so many variables, which is why I'm more concerned with cruise temps. I wish I were smarter yesterday and logged our run. That would have been some fun data to see.

It would be tough to compare our WOT numbers because: I have a smaller turbo (IS20), I don't have a DP, and I'm running a good amount of boost for a small turbo and no DP. My car and setup may just be an outlier and shouldn't be considered for typical results.

Yesterday was the hardest and longest I've ever beat on this car and it felt strong the whole time.

I showed BMS the log and they said it looked good because the temps weren't rising.

I think I'm just going to keep an eye on it. Maybe I need to install a DP to see if temps come down. ;)

Yes...get a DP. That will make a nice difference I think. The stock DP is pretty restrictive.

You have the route so you can go back anytime! Lol

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

There aren't many variables that make a meaningful difference, that's what makes comparing across vehicles possible.

I don't see how an aftermarket DP is going to lower the temperature exiting the compressor wheel. You'll improve the expansion ratio across the turbine but that is just making the turbine more efficient so VE is improved, how do you get a lower compressor outlet temperature from that?

You've noted that cruise temperatures are higher than average and temperature drop under boost is a good deal lower than average, I don't think the results you are getting are normal for an aftermarket IC.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
If you were me, what would you do?

I wonder if the little plate they have on the inlet side is actually hurting performance.

I don't see how an aftermarket DP is going to lower the temperature exiting the compressor wheel. You'll improve the expansion ratio across the turbine but that is just making the turbine more efficient so VE is improved, how do you get a lower compressor outlet temperature from that?

You've noted that cruise temperatures are higher than average and temperature drop under boost is a good deal lower than average, I don't think the results you are getting are normal for an aftermarket IC.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

I wonder if the little plate they have on the inlet side is actually hurting performance.

Discuss the results with the manufacturer. If you are seeing worse cruise temps than stock, especially 20 deg worse, that's not good from a "performance" part.

I doubt the splitter at the inlet is hurting the temperature output unless there was a defect and all the air is being funneled into a small number of rows.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

Do you still have your JB4 connected? If so run the latest firmware and reduce boost to test if it makes a difference.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I think it may be my MAP sensor. I pulled the MAP out of the manifold while monitoring the IAT with my JB4. I stuck a temp probe (digital meat thermo) in the hole and found the reading 12 degrees lower than the MAP reading. The IAT reading from the car was also very slow to drop while it was outside the manifold. I blew on it and it didn't drop immediately either. This may be the problem and it makes the most sense. Ordered a new MAP sensor from FCP.

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I think it may be my MAP sensor. I pulled the MAP out of the manifold while monitoring the IAT with my JB4. I stuck a temp probe (digital meat thermo) in the hole and found the reading 12 degrees lower than the MAP reading. The IAT reading from the car was also very slow to drop while it was outside the manifold. I blew on it and it didn't drop immediately either. This may be the problem and it makes the most sense. Ordered a new MAP sensor from FCP.

Did you install the bms Intercooler yourself or get a shop todo it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk