GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS Intercooler

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Have you checked the IAT and OAT readings against another source to determine if what the car is reading is accurate?
Not sure how I could check the iat against another source. You mean install a probe? The OAT is accurate.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Not sure how I could check the iat against another source. You mean install a probe? The OAT is accurate.

Maybe the silicon hoses are loose? I can take a look when we meet up at Bear Mountain. Well I can try. I know in my car you can see some of the hose from the top of the engine.

I installed (DIY) the IE intercooler last weekend so maybe I'll see something that comes to mind while looking around.

Glad I did it then because it's a lot warmer to be working in garage with limited airflow this week then it was last week!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Maybe the silicon hoses are loose? I can take a look when we meet up at Bear Mountain. Well I can try. I know in my car you can see some of the hose from the top of the engine.

I installed (DIY) the IE intercooler last weekend so maybe I'll see something that comes to mind while looking around.

Glad I did it then because it's a lot warmer to be working in garage with limited airflow this week then it was last week!
The silicon hoses look tight, but another set of eyes would be nice.

I even made sure the flaps on the fan are all free flapping. Fan works. No CELs.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Look at what the IAT reading is without the engine running after the car has sat for a day or so in temperatures that are fairly consistent, it should be close to ambient.
Excellent idea! I'll wait till it's been dark for a few hours so the OAT sensor should be the same as the IAT sensor.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I found my IAT to be 10 to 12 degrees higher than. The OAT sensor both last night and this morning without ever turning the car on. Can someone else check their cars? Thanks!

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
The two deflectors on each side are on.

Man, I don’t know. Your temp readings make no sense. It should be considerably better than stock. I really think there’s a massive leak/diversion of incoming air not being forced through the I/C.

What about the air deflectors going to the A/C condenser? Are they still in place?

What turbo and boost are you running? It’s possible you’re running way past the efficiency range and the I/C isn’t able to keep up, but I doubt that's the case.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
I found my IAT to be 10 to 12 degrees higher than. The OAT sensor both last night and this morning without ever turning the car on. Can someone else check their cars? Thanks!

Even with the difference, that still doesn’t explain the relatively quick temp rise from your log. I’d think it would have stayed at the lower temp, longer

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Man, I don’t know. Your temp readings make no sense. It should be considerably better than stock. I really think there’s a massive leak/diversion of incoming air not being forced through the I/C.

What about the air deflectors going to the A/C condenser? Are they still in place?

What turbo and boost are you running? It’s possible you’re running way past the efficiency range and the I/C isn’t able to keep up, but I doubt that's the case.
Deflectors are in. IS20 turbo with APR IS20 tune for now. I would think if there was a boost leak that would be bad enough to affect temps at cruise, I'd surely throw a CEL at WOT and possibly not make target boost. Looks like possibly sensor problem? Need someone else to compare to.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Deflectors are in. IS20 turbo with APR IS20 tune for now. I would think if there was a boost leak that would be bad enough to affect temps at cruise, I'd surely throw a CEL at WOT and possibly not make target boost. Looks like possibly sensor problem? Need someone else to compare to.

Not referring to a boost leak, by leak, I’m referring to the way the air is forced or directed through the a/c condenser, then into the I/C. If there’s a gaping area that allows the air to go around the condenser, then your I/C won’t get enough air to cool the charged air from the turbo.

Can you share pics of the assembled front end, specifically from the grill area under the bumper?

Also, for cruising temps...the highest I’ve hit so far with the AMS I/C is 50* over ambient! I’m a FIRM believer that the temp/MAP sensor is being affected by the intake manifold temperature since at low speeds (ie bumper to bumper traffic) not much air is flowing through the manifold since the engine doesn’t need the air to make the low HP needed to creep along. I’ve got a laser temp thermometer and one of these days, I’ll take the temp of the manifold near the sensor to confirm.

Does anyone know if the MAP sensor on the I/C outlet pipe is also capable of measuring temperature? That reading would be the true reading of how well the I/C is working.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'll hopefully get some pics tomorrow. I do see the two black pieces of plastic that are on the sides of the condenser. The passenger side one covers the AC lines, right?

I thought the IAT readings were coming from the sensor in the charge pipe after the IC outlet? It would be great if someone could confirm.

Not referring to a boost leak, by leak, I’m referring to the way the air is forced or directed through the a/c condenser, then into the I/C. If there’s a gaping area that allows the air to go around the condenser, then your I/C won’t get enough air to cool the charged air from the turbo.

Can you share pics of the assembled front end, specifically from the grill area under the bumper?

Also, for cruising temps...the highest I’ve hit so far with the AMS I/C is 50* over ambient! I’m a FIRM believer that the temp/MAP sensor is being affected by the intake manifold temperature since at low speeds (ie bumper to bumper traffic) not much air is flowing through the manifold since the engine doesn’t need the air to make the low HP needed to creep along. I’ve got a laser temp thermometer and one of these days, I’ll take the temp of the manifold near the sensor to confirm.

Does anyone know if the MAP sensor on the I/C outlet pipe is also capable of measuring temperature? That reading would be the true reading of how well the I/C is working.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I'll hopefully get some pics tomorrow. I do see the two black pieces of plastic that are on the sides of the condenser. The passenger side one covers the AC lines, right?

I thought the IAT readings were coming from the sensor in the charge pipe after the IC outlet? It would be great if someone could confirm.

IAT sensor is in the intake MAP sensor on top.