GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top intakes right now?

civicdrivr

Ready to race!
I pay to hear pssshht! Because it sounds fast.

If that is the goal, just pick up an Injen or BMS intake.

I ran the BMS for a bit. Noises were awesome. I swapped back to the stock airbox with snow grate removed, and saw no difference while moving. In traffic, the car took a bit longer to heatsoak with the factory airbox - but only a bit.

I'd suggest saving the money and do what Jake said - intercooler and tune. The tune will make the spool up a bit more audible, but the diverter dump noises still aren't loud, unfortunately.

However, if you're dead set on getting an intake, I still have that BMS intake sitting on a shelf if you're interested.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I didn't say every aftermarket intake provides inferior filtering, but many do. As you note, K&N filters let larger particles pass though to the engine--about 50% larger, if I recall correctly. And as you note, APR uses a similar medium.

What is the source of the information about the K&N filters?

Mavec

I just did the stock airbox mod and threw in an Afe dry filter. This has definitely made the turbo louder when it's spooled up. No super loud induction noises or anything but the price was right.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
OEM airbox & front panel mod + drop-in + turbo inlet hose & pipe = much cheaper than aftermarket intakes and as much power gains if not better IMO

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Drop in filter and open grill mod. Alot of the flashy intakes you are just paying extra for looks. If you are okay with that then thats a personal choice, but that is where the extra money goes for the "prettier" intakes.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Drop in filter and open grill mod. Alot of the flashy intakes you are just paying extra for looks. If you are okay with that then thats a personal choice, but that is where the extra money goes for the "prettier" intakes.

I can feel the difference in mine with Stage 2!
If you have less than Stage 2 maybe not.

BTW, mine's not flashy. It looks OEM.

In the past I tried a few other CAI's and they did not do well with my mods. This is a real difference in my car with Stage 2!

BTW, what do you know about the "R" and CAI? You are a GTI.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

In the past I tried a few other CAI's and they did not do well with my mods. This is a real difference in my car with Stage 2!

Well they are pretty much the same... when it comes to airflow needs... that's why they use the same stock intake...

Got a dyno to show the real difference? Or is it just your butt-dyno, which doesn't actually work. To be fair there aren't any dynos comparing an aftermarket intake to the stock intake with mods, that I know of.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3

OP appears to be stock, so the benefits will be minimal, the more modified your car is the more beneficial it will be to have a better flowing intake, but many of them will produce similar results to having an upgraded filter.

As for what do i know about the R, that part kind of made me laugh insinuating that GTI's can't make R power.

Just an FYI, the wheels in my Hybrid dwarf the IS38

cheers

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Buy the biggest and baddest looking open intake for 400$ OP, thats what i did.... do whatever you please. Money is better spent on drop in but that doesnt look cool. Then again I have never shown anyone my engine bay.... feelsBadMan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I run a 034 carbon fiber intake. I like it. With 93 octane JB1 (5.0 boost safety) and GFB recirc valve. Consistent performance. Since my Golf-R is MT I do not plan to go any higher in power as I am too lazy to swap the clutch. Most of the time I drive the car more like a GT car anyway.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
I pay to hear pssshht! Because it sounds fast.
I have a Turbosmart Em bypass with a Torque solutions bov spacer, you will def hear the pssshhh bov sounds with a spacer! (even with oem bpv)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk