GOLFMKV

Permanent live cigarette sockets

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Morning.
Moved the fuse to the two upper slots and now have permanently live
Cigarettesockets.
Easy peasy.

Westy23: Gee that's quite a smoking addiction- have you tried quitting? Only kidding! Seriously, why do you need so many 12V sockets?

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Interesting - could you give us more info please - which fuses, where re they located etc please?

They used to be permanent on the Mk.V

Westy23

Passed Driver's Ed
It's very easy.
Fusebox is behind the glovebox in Rhd models.
Just drop the glovebox down by pushing up the two clips, it really is easier than it sounds,
There is a picture of the clips in the manual on page 390 ish.
Then relocate fuse F40 from the bottom and centre position too the centre and top position.
All done.
Am not a smoker but my son likes to be able to keep his Iphone charged.
No tools needed but a small torch would help.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Been using Facebook too much.. I have a need to "like" this post.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Thats brilliant mate - thank you!

Can I ask does this affect the boot charge point or just the internal one? Ideally I would like the boot one to be permanently on.

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Both, I think.
Glad to help.

Westy23: Had to post-up a pic of your discovery (well done!). Hope I understood your instructions correctly

Attachments

• Cigarette lighter.jpg
    Cigarette lighter.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 45,114
Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
can anyone confirm if there are any issues with this eg. overheating ?

Redpaddy: Overheating? Not sure that I understand. The protective element in the circuit (fuse) will limit the current to any device that is connected to the cigarette lighter to no more than 20Amps (i.e. the rated capacity of the circuit's wiring and any upstream components such as connectors and relay contacts). About the only concern that I would have would be the long term drain on the battery should a device be connected for an extended length of time. But assuming that westy uses his/her car regularly and that the current drain from his son's iphone is not large, I wouldn't be worried. Also, given that it looks like the design of the fuse board is purposely intended to allow fuse #40 to be moved to the top position, I fully anticipate that the safety of the car's electrical design will not be compromised by this change. And besides that, it's such an elegantly simple tweak!!

Last edited:

paddypool

Ready to race!
goodto know, thanks...
So just to be clear, the cigerette lighter where the elec.handbrake is, would be illuminated day & night with this small change ?

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
No problems - have had it like this for a couple of months now. Easy tweak without the need of VAG-com/VCDS :D.

/Peter

RedTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
So, if not driving a car for a while, could one leave a trickle charger connected via a live socket?

Alternatively, does anyone have any idea how long a car could be left (if 70% charged at the start) and still be able to start?