GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WOT Flutter

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Is it happening at a lower rpm? Aren’t you on a new tune? Your tuner can make it go away by Adjusting the boost onset

You can call it lower RPMs, yes. I'm used to flooring it at 2k with Unitronic, but their tunes are low boost in general. I recently got the EQT base tune, but am planning on getting a protune.

FST_NML

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI S DSG LP/PP
All of the above. Too much boost at too low rpm in too high gear. Downshift!
I usually try to wait until 3k before flooring it in gears 3 and higher.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
compressor surge

Isn't compressor surge more of a high pitched noise, which is why people refer to it as sounding like a pigeon? Sounds like what he's talking about might just be the normal DV noises.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
It’s definitely compressor surge from boost onset. Like others have said drop down a gear and wait for higher rpms to floor it when in 3rd and up. I had to adjust my driving habits to avoid it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Isn't compressor surge more of a high pitched noise, which is why people refer to it as sounding like a pigeon? Sounds like what he's talking about might just be the normal DV noises.

There's on throttle and off throttle surge. Based on youtube clips I've watched, off throttle sounds more like a pigeon.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Having all the piping bolt ons makes an is20 spool up mad quickly too.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
There's on throttle and off throttle surge. Based on youtube clips I've watched, off throttle sounds more like a pigeon.

There's another thread I posted in here.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cold-air-intake-flutter-noise.354729/

I just find it funny, because anytime flutter is mentioned, nobody can agree on what the noise is. Sometimes it's just the DV being normal. Sometimes it's compressor surge and your turbo is going to explode (open throttle surge). Sometimes it's compressor surge and everything is fine (closed throttle surge).

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
The sound I experienced was at WOT onset boost at the peak boost spike (28psi) and it’s a very distinctive sound. No pigeon here. Maybe a strangled pigeon, more of a squeal than anything. It made me pull the DP to check for play in the chra. That’s the deal with an OTS tune. There’s no fine tuning catered to your specific mods to smooth out that onset so I avoid WOT under 3k in 3rd.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
There's another thread I posted in here.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cold-air-intake-flutter-noise.354729/

I just find it funny, because anytime flutter is mentioned, nobody can agree on what the noise is. Sometimes it's just the DV being normal. Sometimes it's compressor surge and your turbo is going to explode (open throttle surge). Sometimes it's compressor surge and everything is fine (closed throttle surge).

I've noticed a whole lot of difference in opinions as well.