GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wiper fault and auto headlight control fault

trbochrg1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone. Picked up my R last Tuesday and this weekend I had this error come up twice.

Wipers would not work and auto headlights wouldn't work either. Headlights would turn on when I turned the switch. Wipers wouldn't work at all no matter what I did. I was away on a a family tripthis weekend and was not near a dealership (closest one was ~50 miles away).

This happened Saturday and again today. Restart didn't clear the issue. After about 30 minutes both features once again became operational.

Anyone else have this happen?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Never heard of anyone having this issue; with two systems at once. Perhaps a bad body control module or cable or the light sensor on the windshield if it controls both systems. You also have auto wipers.

Does anything else not work correctly?

Last edited:

trbochrg1

Passed Driver's Ed
Never heard of anyone having this issue; with two systems at once. Perhaps a bad body control module or cable or the light sensor on the windshield if it controls both systems. You also have auto wipers.

Does anything else not work correctly?

Everything else seems to work. I did notice that when I put the lights on auto that they defaulted to ON. Even the nav screen went into "night" mode. Almost as if it defaults the headlights "on" in case of a failure. Made me think it had something to do with a sensor. But doesn't explain why the wipers won't turn on when in manual mode.

Calling dealer today to see if I can drop it off tomorrow. Will update with any findings. Hopefully an easy fix and not some electrical gremlin that plagues the car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Are you turning the wipers on full? Do you have rain sensing turned on? Personally, I turned that feature off because when the windshield's dirty the dirt tends to wear out the blades much faster. I like to try to let the rain rinse most of the dirt off first. Same with rear wipe on reverse gear.

trbochrg1

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you turning the wipers on full? Do you have rain sensing turned on? Personally, I turned that feature off because when the windshield's dirty the dirt tends to wear out the blades much faster. I like to try to let the rain rinse most of the dirt off first. Same with rear wipe on reverse gear.

Wipers did not work no matter what position I selected on the stalk. Rain sensing was turned on. Had it on my R32 and actually liked the feature. Hadn't considered the additional wear you mentioned but that may be a valid point.

This morning it is raining and everything is working. Calling dealership this morning to make appointment. Seems to be an intermittent issue. Hopefully the error is something that is stored so they can troubleshoot.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Probably either a flaky control module somewhere, or a loose connection. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out and not give you the old "no problem found!" diagnosis. Having an intermittent problem like that, especially on a brand new car, is frustrating. Good luck!

trbochrg1

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably either a flaky control module somewhere, or a loose connection. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out and not give you the old "no problem found!" diagnosis. Having an intermittent problem like that, especially on a brand new car, is frustrating. Good luck!

Yeah I am not sure if this stores a code that they can use to troubleshoot which is my understanding when it comes to a CEL. Since this isn't a CEL I wasn't sure it got stored which is why I took pictures as "proof" of what I saw.

I too hope it is just something simple and not an electrical gremlin that will plague the car. Will admit I am a bit concerned that so far no one has seen this issue. Maybe if I had posted it in the "General" MKVII thread someone with a GTI may have had it before.

Got an appointment for Wednesday (though Dealer could have taken me today or tomorrow but I have to be at work both of these days)

Will update with the outcome for anyone that may run into this in the future.

trbochrg1

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a thought but this is probably crazy. I attached an EZPASS transponder on my windshield to the right of the mirror (out of my line of sight) on Friday. Could this have any effect on the sensors? My wife has her EZPASS close to her sensor on the Touareg for weeks and hasn't had a problem. Just trying to rule things out. Only other change was I hooked up my Pixel using Android Auto.

trbochrg1

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, dealership couldn't find anything wrong. No faults found regarding the auto lights or the wipers. Only fault that they found was a low voltage fault that was residual from the car sitting in the dealership which they think may have been the cause.

They cleared that code an tested the battery. Battery was ok.

Sent me on my way. hopefully that's all it was.

trbochrg1

Passed Driver's Ed
Annnnnd....I'm back at service. Errors came back this afternoon. Sigh....

Drove straight to dealer and left car running as to not allow the codes to clear.

Told me they have to contact Techs at VW and needed to keep my car overnight.

Last edited: