GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

depan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TSI 1.8T
Hoping someone will chime in here. I am in Sacramento where it gets into the 20s with rain no snow but I go to Tahoe maybe 1-2 times a winter. Was looking at Michelin pilot pa4 but heard they are discontinued. Looks like neuroses has some so may order a set from them but what is out there that is like them for someone just looking for better wet traction and to not have hockey pucks for tires in the winter? Looking at the pilot alpin 6 seems to be more for snow and ice than the pa4. If it is what I am looking for let me know though.
If you go to Tahoe 1-2 times a year why are you only interested in wet performance (average snowfall of almost 200 inches per year)? Are you looking for a dedicated winter set or to replace current tires and run all year? Wheel size?

I would not buy the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 since I can only see limited sizes available and they are showing at over $300 per tire. You can get equal tires for much less cost.

I'd suggest taking a look at the following:

All-season/weather:
Michelin Crossclimate2
Hankook 4S2 (I have these and in the first year / 9,000 miles the treadwear has been high, mechanic stated they are at 7/32". but 60,000 mile warranty and cheaper than Michelin. Would recommend documented rotation per manufacturer's spec in case you have to claim the warranty. But snow performance was great for me last year. Closeout deal on TireRack in 225/40R18, believe TireRack is opting to no longer carry these but not sure why)
Vredestein Quatrac Pro (weaker in snow)

Performance Winter:
Vredestein Wintrac Pro
Blizzak LM005 (outperformed the Wintrac Pro on TyreReviews.com test, but possibly different compounds for EU)

Studless/Nordic Winter:
Blizzak WS90
Michelin X-Ice Snow (have seen some negative reviews on this forum/thread so maybe doesn't suit the Golfs, YMMV. However it is one of the only winter tires with a treadwear warranty)

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
If you go to Tahoe 1-2 times a year why are you only interested in wet performance (average snowfall of almost 200 inches per year)? Are you looking for a dedicated winter set or to replace current tires and run all year? Wheel size?

I would not buy the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 since I can only see limited sizes available and they are showing at over $300 per tire. You can get equal tires for much less cost.

I'd suggest taking a look at the following:

All-season/weather:
Michelin Crossclimate2
Hankook 4S2 (I have these and in the first year / 9,000 miles the treadwear has been high, mechanic stated they are at 7/32". but 60,000 mile warranty and cheaper than Michelin. Would recommend documented rotation per manufacturer's spec in case you have to claim the warranty. But snow performance was great for me last year. Closeout deal on TireRack in 225/40R18, believe TireRack is opting to no longer carry these but not sure why)
Vredestein Quatrac Pro (weaker in snow)

Performance Winter:
Vredestein Wintrac Pro
Blizzak LM005 (outperformed the Wintrac Pro on TyreReviews.com test, but possibly different compounds for EU)

Studless/Nordic Winter:
Blizzak WS90
Michelin X-Ice Snow (have seen some negative reviews on this forum/thread so maybe doesn't suit the Golfs, YMMV. However it is one of the only winter tires with a treadwear warranty)
The biggest issue where I am is the daytime temps average in the 50s. I could get something just for when I go to Tahoe and run something else year round. The pa4 seems discontinued so considering the pa5. They are 3 peak mountain snowflake rated but can be used in a bit warmer temps than a dedicated ice and snow tire. I wouldn’t be going when it is snowing. Really trying to get something that I guess does not exist. Ok in Sacramento where we get rain no snow or ice usually low 30s or 20s at night 45-60 in the day all winter and be able to make a trip to Tahoe when snow is present (assume highway is plowed) on a day when it hasn’t snowed in a few days. Don’t want to put chains on my car. I guess I could use cables.

Other option I just tell my wife F off. I do not go to the mountains in the winter.

Rest of the year I run ps4s may switch to sport cup 2 connect if I start running winter tires.

Current wheel is 18x8.5 could go smaller. Running 245/40r18 for summers.

depan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TSI 1.8T
They are 3 peak mountain snowflake rated but can be used in a bit warmer temps than a dedicated ice and snow tire.
All of the tires I listed are 3 peak mountain snowflake, including the all season/weather
Really trying to get something that I guess does not exist.
It exists. They are 3PMS All weather tires (often still listed as all seasons)
Ok in Sacramento where we get rain no snow or ice usually low 30s or 20s at night 45-60 in the day all winter and be able to make a trip to Tahoe when snow is present
Get the Crossclimate2 or Kinergy 4s2. The Michelin is more snow bias but both should do well in the snow. The hankook probably better in other conditions and your day to day drive.
Other option I just tell my wife F off. I do not go to the mountains in the winter.
Don't do that. Going to the mountains in the winter is too much fun.
Current wheel is 18x8.5 could go smaller. Running 245/40r18 for summers.
Would recommend another set of wheels so you don't have to mount and balance tires twice a year. Probably 16 or 17" steelies, but the width is up to you. A wider tire will help you at home but a skinnier tire will help in the snow