GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield Replacement: OEM or Aftermarket?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I had the windshield replaced on my MK5 with OEM glass, because I talked to the used car manager at the dealer who valued it in trade. If you ever watch them appraise a car, you'll see them look for mismatched panel fit and color, and on certain areas where they usually tape off panels, running their hands over them to feel for rough paint overspray, and the manufacture's etchings on the glass to see if it's OEM. They figure if you used aftermarket glass you could have had a collision or skimped on maintenance. I asked my insurance company if I could pay the difference when a stone cracked mine, and they said I could request it. Probably because I had no claims, they approved it at no cost to me. Where I live, it's required to be included in policies and it's not charged against you if it's not intentional.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I was just quoted $325 for aftermarket. But it's CSM Glass. A brand i haven't heard of. It is made in the US, but not sure what that means

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... I've got OEM heated glass, with camera/rain sensor mount, waiting for me at the dealer. It's going to end up around $600 installed.
I have none of that. Just plain jane glass

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
How much is (your) dealer charging for glass? And how much is the aftermarket glass?

In SoCal I paid under $500 installed for new glass (with camera/sensors). Purchased glass from the dealer and work was done at the dealer. They contracted a local glass guy (that has his own business, but also does work for several dealers). Note I did not have them do the camera calibration, just the glass install.
Glass from dealer was at least 700+, and they were going to charge me 250 for labor. Said fuck it and used a local glass repair service for 300 in total.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I think my Fuyao glass was excellent! Compared to OEM, it had superior clarity and has taken a number of hits that I was certain would kill it. Unfortunately, it finally cracked after 200,000+ miles during my solar eclipse trip to Texas. I'm finally home and ready to replace it, but have almost no control over what'll be installed. "It depends on what's available," the glass shop said. My appointment is next Wednesday.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I think my Fuyao glass was excellent! Compared to OEM, it had superior clarity and has taken a number of hits that I was certain would kill it. Unfortunately, it finally cracked after 200,000+ miles during my solar eclipse trip to Texas. I'm finally home and ready to replace it, but have almost no control over what'll be installed. "It depends on what's available," the glass shop said. My appointment is next Wednesday.
Interesting. I'm pretty sure this is what came on my car from the factory on my 2015, at least I seem to remember this name under the VW logo. It has held up well in the way of chips and stuff, but the passenger side has always been a little wavy when looking from the driver's seat.