GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will these fit a Golf mk7 R? (Seat Leon Cupra (Mk3) Brembos)

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Those should be the same as the MK2 Audi TTRS, which fit your Golf R. Looks like they have the caliper carrier to fit the smaller rotors.

Can’t speak to the website though.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
To preface, I can't say if this kit which is listed as for the Cupra will fit the MK7/7.5 cars. But I have experience with FreakyParts and with those exact calipers so I will tell you a bit of what I know. Please ask questions if I miss something.

@yakev724 and I have run these calipers for a long time with great success (they are from RenaultSport Megane 250/265/275). We both daily drive and track drive our cars. We both got into them because of the relatively low cost of a factory Brembo brake set-up. And because we wanted to use stock-sized discs to keep costs down even further. Yakev got the Freakyparts brackets for the 345mm rotors, but I believe he runs stock 340mm rotors and says there is no pad overhang (he ordered "VW Golf Mk7 Brembo RS3 adaptors to 345mm discs", I do not know if they are the exact same as these Curpa brackets, maybe you'll have to clarify before purchase). I ordered a set of brackets for the 340mm rotors specifically.

For the pads, the good news is they are a very common shape that lots of Brembo-equipped cars run (FK8 Type-Rs, lots of Camaros, some Astons, etc). So pretty much every pad manufacturer makes various performance and race pads in that shape. The bad news that I have discovered is that the rotors for the Megane are only 28mm wide (our 340mm rotors are 30mm wide) so brand-new pads don't fit without shaving them down. I WOULD ASK FREAKY PARTS ABOUT THIS BEFORE PURCHASE. The rotors they are supplying look to be 30mm wide so what pads do they give you? If they are factory Brembo pads that fit 30mm wide rotors I would kill to know the part number! For my track pads, I have been taking them to a machine shop and having them use a lathe to cut them down to the correct thickness. Yes, it's a bit of a PITA, but now I have friends at an awesome machine shop and they have ended up helping me with a few things for other projects too. A little silver lining there! Also, I have accumulated 3 sets of used FK8 Type-R stock pads (so they are already worn down enough to fit without having to cut them. I have street pads for life now, and for like $30 a set lol. I am so cheap. LOL.

The pedal feel is more firm than stock but not so firm that the pedal doesn't move. I felt comfortable with it on track, and my wife regularly drives the GTI to work and never complained, so it's just not that much more firm that it's a negative trait.

Here is the original thread that has lots of info. LMK if you have any questions.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/megane-rs-brembos-and-custom-brakets.362247/

rOcKoN92

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 R
Thanks for the info guys!

I will email Freaky Parts about part numbers and more information and update this thread.

Ideally i am looking for a straight forward swap and if I can use my existing 340mm discs that would be awesome.

rOcKoN92

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 R
Update:
@reverend_sean the pads are Brembo P54040 as per their support.

What they also said is for these to work with the factory 340mm disc is that different adapters are needed, otherwise the supplied adapters are for the 345mm discs.

Edit:
This is a picture they provided with the clearance - looks tight :confused:
30mm:
334240585_1267094430906491_2732279666754553128_n.jpg

28mm:
333097466_3545660395756254_7702691744707672347_n-28mm.jpg

Last edited:

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
Update:
@reverend_sean the pads are Brembo P54040 as per their support.

What they also said is for these to work with the factory 340mm disc is that different adapters are needed, otherwise the supplied adapters are for the 345mm discs.

Edit:
This is a picture they provided with the clearance - looks tight :confused:
30mm:
View attachment 274472

28mm:
View attachment 274475
those are renault megane sports brembos they are for 28mm thickness disc.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
those are renault megane sports brembos they are for 28mm thickness disc.

The seller says they work fine with 30mm
They do work fine with our stock 30mm width rotors, but as I stated above, pad thickness can be an issue. Candidly, I don't see how those pads fit, but I also very much trust FreakyParts and they have not led me astray, so I am confident they will work great.

I run Pagid RSL29 pads in my track setup. Out of the box, they are a little over 16mm thick. I could not even fit them into the caliper without cutting them down (with brand-new rotors). I had the machine shop remove 1.5mm from the pad material and they fit perfectly with some .08mm Titanium shims that I run to help stop heat transfer through the pads and into the calipers.

rOcKoN92

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 R
They do work fine with our stock 30mm width rotors, but as I stated above, pad thickness can be an issue. Candidly, I don't see how those pads fit, but I also very much trust FreakyParts and they have not led me astray, so I am confident they will work great.

I run Pagid RSL29 pads in my track setup. Out of the box, they are a little over 16mm thick. I could not even fit them into the caliper without cutting them down (with brand-new rotors). I had the machine shop remove 1.5mm from the pad material and they fit perfectly with some .08mm Titanium shims that I run to help stop heat transfer through the pads and into the calipers.
He mentioned that Brembo P54040 pads are what is being shipped and work so I guess these are the pads to go for?
Thing is that on Brembo website says that the above pads are also 16mm so they should not be fine? as per your experience a little more than 16mm does not fit..I am a bit baffled 😂

See here for the pads freaky parts guy mentioned.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
He mentioned that Brembo P54040 pads are what is being shipped and work so I guess these are the pads to go for?
Thing is that on Brembo website says that the above pads are also 16mm so they should not be fine? as per your experience a little more than 16mm does not fit..I am a bit baffled 😂

See here for the pads freaky parts guy mentioned.
Sounds like you placed the order. Awesome if so!

There is no way they would ship you pads that don't fit, so I am confident they will work. I would love it if you could take some measurements when you get them;
1) brake pad overall thickness (backing plate & pad material)
2) caliper opening width from piston face to piston face (when pistons are fully compressed).

Will be interesting to see!

You are going to love the brakes! What wheels do you run? You will likely need spacers unless you have a wheel with great caliper clearance already.

rOcKoN92

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 R
Sounds like you placed the order. Awesome if so!

There is no way they would ship you pads that don't fit, so I am confident they will work. I would love it if you could take some measurements when you get them;
1) brake pad overall thickness (backing plate & pad material)
2) caliper opening width from piston face to piston face (when pistons are fully compressed).

Will be interesting to see!

You are going to love the brakes! What wheels do you run? You will likely need spacers unless you have a wheel with great caliper clearance already.

I haven't placed the order actually but will probably do it tonight or tomorrow. I will be ordering the ones that fit the factory 340mm discs and not the 345mm, my brake discs are only 6 months old, and cannot justify throwing them out for 5mm's 😂 , I will be going floating discs as soon as these are due for a change for cosmetic reasons as if I never track the car.

340mm Version

My only concern is if I can actually source replacement pads that fit after the supplied pads run out (Brembo P54040, Or Ferodo DS2500??)

I will take the measurements for you as soon as I get them, but don't you have the same setup? anything different than what Freaky parts supplies?

My wheels are OZ Ultraleggeras 18 inch et45. Using the supplied template from Freaky Parts looks like the brakes will fit without a spacer (50mm clearance disc to wheel - mine has 60mm)

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I will take the measurements for you as soon as I get them, but don't you have the same setup? anything different than what Freaky parts supplies?
I do, but I did not get my calipers from FP (just the brackets), so there is always some slight chance that I got an older/different iteration of the Renault-produced Brembo caliper I guess. Seems entirely unlikely though. Mine look and spec identical to the ones FP provides (I have spoken with them many times and even went through a little measuring exercise with them...they said "yep, that's definitely the Renault Megane Brembo caliper), and their supplied caliper mounting bracket fits perfectly.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I haven't placed the order actually but will probably do it tonight or tomorrow. I will be ordering the ones that fit the factory 340mm discs and not the 345mm, my brake discs are only 6 months old, and cannot justify throwing them out for 5mm's 😂 , I will be going floating discs as soon as these are due for a change for cosmetic reasons as if I never track the car.

340mm Version

My only concern is if I can actually source replacement pads that fit after the supplied pads run out (Brembo P54040, Or Ferodo DS2500??)

My wheels are OZ Ultraleggeras 18 inch et45. Using the supplied template from Freaky Parts looks like the brakes will fit without a spacer (50mm clearance disc to wheel - mine has 60mm)
These are the same calipers as the mk2 ttrs: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/ttrs-brembo-upgrade-info.392933/

I have pad shapes listed there, but I can tell you that a good ferodo cross-reference is FRP3067 for 32mm rotors. The one you can get off FCPeuro, FCP1334H is a bit thicker and definitely needs to be machined down for a 32mm rotor, but might fit a 28-30mm rotor.

If you're using a mk6/mk7 rotor I don't think barrel clearance will be an issue, but you might have to run a small spacer to clear the spokes, calipers are definitely a bit wider than stock.

Also, damn this is a good price for FRP3067W:

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collectio...-11-pads-for-renaultsport-brembo-mk2-calipers

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018

340mm Version

If you live in Europe why don't you order tts calipers on eacca they are like 300 euros each

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion

If you live in Europe why don't you order tts calipers on eacca they are like 300 euros each
Be careful here...these Megane calipers are not identical to the TTRS caliper. They look identical in overall shape, take the same brake pad, maybe the same pin kit (IDK), etc. but the mounting holes are further apart on the Megane calipers and the pistons are different (Megane ones use 40mm/40mm pistons, the TTRS ones use 40mm/44mm). I thought "these are the same" back when I got the calipers so I ordered the VBT brackets for the TTRS calipers. Did not come close to fitting.

Brembo sells the rights to manufacture its products to car companies so that it doesn't have to produce everything on its own. I believe that they sell this mono-block "shell" (for lack of a correct term) to a few OE manufacturers and then they can customize it to their specs.

Last edited: