GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TTRS Brembo Upgrade Info

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I recently picked up a set of these calipers and wanted to share the info I've gathered in the process. None of it was consolidated (that I could find!) so hopefully this helps someone else. I was able to pick up a set for $600 shipped including pads and lines, and after a rebuild + powdercoat I'm still at less than $1000. YMMV. I look forward to testing them on track next season. The part numbers mentioned for rebuilds, hardware, etc. are all ones I've confirmed. Should I hear otherwise, this post will be updated.

Calipers
Current P/N:
8J0-615-107-B
8J0-615-108-B

Old:
8J0-615-107-A, 8J0-615-108-A, 8J0-615-107, 8J0-615-108

These were stock on Mk2 (8J) TTRS fronts (2012-2013 for NA?). 4-piston Brembos, mounted in a leading position, and bolt directly onto MQB hubs. Other non-mk7 golf fitments include: MK5 Golf/Jetta/GTI/R32, MK6 Golf/Jetta/GTI/Golf R, VW Tiguan/ Passat B6/B7 / CC, Audi A3/S3 (8P/8V), Audi TT (8J/8S).
They are top-loading and allow for quick pad changes. The current revision added harmonic dampers on the inner side to combat NVH. Reportedly the noise this was intended to combat can be remedied by using aftermarket pads, and you'd save weight and cost if you can find the original parts used.

Internals
Pistons are 40/44mm diameter (30mm deep), which works out to slightly less than stock piston volume accounting for the movement of fixed vs. floating calipers. I ordered vented ones from RB, but if someone has a brembo/centric p/n I'll add it here.

https://racingbrake.com/bc-41p

Seals and dust boots are a standard centric p/n: 143.03005
Brembo dust boot p/n: 20.4872.48 x4 + 20.4872.46 x 4
The pad retaining hardware are another: 117.33035

Bleeder screw: 10 N-m

Carriers + Lines
The easiest option is to buy the VBT kit, which provides lines and alternative carriers and hardware to use 340/345mm rotors:

https://www.vagbremtechnic.com/fron...mbo-calipers-to-oe-340-or-345mm-discs-ak0003/

If for some reason you come across a set without the original carrier, want to use 370mm rotors and can actually find some for sale, the original carrier p/n is: 20.9747.61
The stock carrier->caliper bolts aren't sold by audi either, but are available with a porsche p/n: 99907340201. Torque to 110 N-m.

To bolt the carriers to the hub, use your stock VW bolts and torque spec, TTRS bolts are the wrong length. 200 N-m

For lines I would suggest the VBT kit (they'll sell the lines separately, just a Hel kit), buy SS TTRS lines and figure out the brackets (not a complete bolt-on option) or have someone make you custom lines, just ask for Mk7 lines with TTRS ends.

Brake line torque: 35 N-m

Bracket part numbers look to be 8J0-615-133 (L), 8J0-615-134 (R), and N-010-293-16 for the screw. If you're using the brake line shown above (or the HEL) with the curved fitting, it's probably worthwhile to get the bracket to support the fitting.
It seems like those bracket P/Ns come with their own bolts. Don't need to order bolts separately.

Pads
An advantage shared with the macan caliper is the pad shape, FMSI# D1001, Pagid 2487, Ferodo FCP1334H/FRP3067H, Endless EIP184/EIP357and others can be found via cross-reference. The VBT listing has a decent set of part numbers available to bundle.
One difference I've found is that the p/n for the Evo (Ferodo FRP3067H) is about 1mm thinner than the STI one (FCP1334H). The thicker ones did not fit on my car.
I'm personally a big fan of DS2500, which FCP stocks in the thicker spec:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-performance-brake-pad-set-ferodo-racing-8j0698151k
Zeckhausen has a good selection here too:
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44_749_750_5215_5218

Not cheap, but they work very well and you get lifetime replacement. I know they work well on my RB rotors without deposits or squealing.

Rotors
As mentioned, the easiest option will be the VBT kit if you already have 340/345mm rotors. No need to recommend options for those here.
With the stock carrier, you can use the stock rotors (370x32mm). Unfortunately, Audi only produced one part and so the vanes go the wrong direction on one side. For some people this resulted in issues with warping with hard use. They're also drilled which can be a downside. You can not use the Mk3/facelift (2017+) RS3/TTRS rotors nor the Neuspeed 370x34mm rotors.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-brake-disc-zimmermann-8j0615301k

There are a few properly symmetric, slotted 2-piece options:
Girodisc: https://www.girodisc.com/TT-RS-8J_c_1351.html
Reyland (don't ship to North America): http://www.reyland.co.uk/audi-front/
PFC: https://pfc.parts/product/370-496-63-64/
RB: https://racingbrake.com/2439 (includes spacer to use 380mm discs)
Paragon: https://paragonbrakes.com/paragon-2-piece-rotors-front-audi-tt-rs-8j/

Girodisc seem to be the most popular and are definitely the cheapest 2-piece option available in NA. PFC makes great stuff but with freight shipping from the UK they came out to around $1650/pr. I know people swear by AP J-hooks and I could swear I saw a 380mm AP disc with a spacer, but haven't dug it back up yet.

Heat shields
8V0-615-311-B
8V0-615-312-B

8V RS3/8S TTRS heat shields are bolt-on fitment for our 57.1mm hubs. You might need to hammer out part of the lower section that comes close to the bottom piston. They should fit any of the rotor options (will confirm for 340mm soon).
You should be able to use your stock shields as well with some trimming, or remove them entirely depending on your usage. RS3 control arm ducts would certainly help, too.

Wheel fitment
Pretty much all Neuspeed wheels should fit with the 340/345mm bracket. Thanks @mopar22 for finding someone with these and 17" RSE05s.
For the 370mm rotors:
RSE10 18x8.5 +45
RSE11r 18x9 +45
SM-10 18x9 +42

Balljoint Fitment
Whiteline balljoints fit with 370x32mm rotors and mk3 heat shields. Stock arms.
034 balljoints fit as well, awaiting confirmation on shields.

TTRS vs. Macan

I'm sure this will be asked since these are very similar to the Porsche MLB chassis caliper option. I'm only giving facts, make your own decision.
  • Cost: TTRS are $1800+ new just for the calipers, compared to about $500 new for a pair of Porsche. I got lucky on FB marketplace finding mine for $600 shipped with lines. They were in terrible shape and needed a rebuild, which I spent about $500 on including new pistons, seals, boots, bleeders, sandblasting, and powdercoating. For most people, cost alone is a non-starter.
  • Pistons: They're very close in overall piston area, and we know that some Mk7s (Mk7.5 R?) came with the same-sized M/C as the 8J TTRS (25.4mm). However, the TTRS brembos come in 40/44 configuration vs the 42/42 of the porsche. Per @Will_ / @burgerkong , the Macans have different pistons on each side, possibly to help alleviate the uneven wear this could produce?
  • Leading vs. Trailing: Porsche are a trailing design (mount to the rear of the rotor) vs the leading design of the TTRS. You thus have to flip the porsche to mount on an MQB car. Unclear if flipping the pistons helps at all given the difference between each side.
  • Carrier: The carrier on the Porsche is part of the caliper itself. This is likely more rigid, and definitely simpler. No bolts to fail/improperly install. You're also limited to the smaller rotors with porsche (though of course anything is possible with fabrication or spacers). Both allow you to save on rotor costs but the TTRS option does let you upsize down the line if you overwhelm the heat capacity of the smaller discs.
  • Weight: I don't have the TTRS brembos in front of me, once I have them back in hand I will weigh both the Macan and TTRS with their respective hardware and lines. Both are significantly lighter than stock PP calipers.
  • Wheel fitment: If you know that a wheel fits the Mk2 TTRS, you know it'll fit these even with the 370mm rotors. I believe the fitment templates in the Macan thread are incorrect, and I haven't seen a template for the TTRS calipers with a VBT adapter. Looking at them side by side, they're likely very similar in barrel/spoke clearance. Neuspeed told me most of their 18"+ wheels will fit the 370mm TTRS setup, and I would guess that the 18" Apex wheels are likely to clear, especially with a 340mm setup. If I can verify certain wheels I will try to add them to this post. Apex promises fitment for for Macan calipers.
My guess is that the TTRS calipers are probably better on track due to the piston design and ability to run larger rotors. I'm sure that a proper Stoptech/AP kit is by far the best option and I'm sure that my novice driving doesn't even demand the rotors on my car, much less any of these calipers or the track-only pads I'll be swapping. If I somehow get the motivation to install the Macan calipers AND these, I would love to give a comparison on pedal feel between the two on the same brake pad, but I'm sure this is fairly subjective and will depend on how well your fluid is bled, your specific ABS module tweaks, and your choice of pads.

I will say that these are definitely proven and I've never seen anyone need to deal with extra greasing, RPVs, or worry about not using SRF. Once you've rebuilt them they should be up to par with any of the nearly identical Evo/STI brake setups out there.

Hopefully someone finds some of this info helpful, though I'm sure most people will prefer the cheaper Macan setup or a not-much-more-expensive true BBK.

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Regarding Macan calipers...

They have two different types of pistons however it seems they are not installed with one type on each side to alleviate imbalanced wear as I thought, but actually each side of the caliper has a different type of piston in order to have the right piston retraction.

From @burgerkong 's rebuild of the calipers:
Macantwopistontypes.png

For more info read @emichel6888's thread here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...esidual-pressure-valves-and-seal-lube.376654/

I think this TTRS solution looks really promising and should be great setup with hopefully less headaches than the Macan setup causes some.

Naz7r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
Would love to see pictures of the rebuilt calipers. I’ve been sitting on a set of TTRS calipers for a few months. Can’t decide if I want to keep them or sell them at this point.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I think this TTRS solution looks really promising and should be great setup with hopefully less headaches than the Macan setup causes some.
Thanks! Updated. I couldn't find any solid info on the macan piston depth. I should just disassemble mine...

I am personally not a fan of adding RPVs. I strongly suspect that the primary issue people are experiencing with pedal feel is due to pad knockback, which is just inherent to the design of OE street calipers. I've driven on some very nice AP brakes with anti-knockback springs and the pedal feel is sublime, but the additional pad wear is undesirable on a street car.

Last edited:

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
I am also in the process of doing this upgrade and piecing together parts. I went with 034 370x34 rotors (https://store.034motorsport.com/2-piece-floating-front-brake-rotor-upgrade-kit-for-audi-8s-ttrs.html), which is an 8S fitment but should still work as measurements are within 1-2mm on offset. Eventually I will do their 350mm rear kit and wanted the rotors to match.

Pairing these with DS2500's, I'll update my post once I have verified the installation and you can hopefully add the rotor to the list.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
I am also in the process of doing this upgrade and piecing together parts. I went with 034 370x34 rotors (https://store.034motorsport.com/2-piece-floating-front-brake-rotor-upgrade-kit-for-audi-8s-ttrs.html), which is an 8S fitment but should still work as measurements are within 1-2mm on offset. Eventually I will do their 350mm rear kit and wanted the rotors to match.

Pairing these with DS2500's, I'll update my post once I have verified the installation and you can hopefully add the rotor to the list.
i don't believe you can run the newer ttrs rotors with the older 4 piston ttrs caliper. The 8j rotors are 32mm thick so you may have to shave down the outer pads. IIRC correctly the overall height of the rotor (32mm vs34mm ) are the same so the inner face would be in the same spot.

I am running the 32mm rotor on my 8 piston ttrs calipers and the inner face lines up but my out pistons/pads are off by 2mm the those pistons are further out to compensate for the thinner rotor.
I am about to order the neuspeed TTRS 2 piece 34mm rotors since i picked up their 350mm rear upgrade recently.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

I don't think the rear kits are a performance upgrade, they advertise as weight reduction but that's not true compared to a cheaper floating 2pc 310.
There are some very fast MQB track cars, including the factory TCR racecar that run an even smaller rear disc without heat issues. The stock 8J rear was also a 310.

I'd be interested to see, though, especially which pad P/N you use. There are more 8s rotor options and it would add heat capacity in the front. There were some discounted girodisc 370x34mm discs on FB marketplace but not discounted enough for me to be a guinea pig.

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
i don't believe you can run the newer ttrs rotors with the older 4 piston ttrs caliper. The 8j rotors are 32mm thick so you may have to shave down the outer pads. IIRC correctly the overall height of the rotor (32mm vs34mm ) are the same so the inner face would be in the same spot.
Understandably the thickness is different but the offset of the rotor is close enough that it should be able to work. It is not a bolt on affair using off the shelf parts. I was expecting to shave down the FCP1334H DS2500 pads to fit, and document the process.

The 350mm upgrade rear might just be more of a vanity option for me.

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
Update: I have discovered Ferodo has two pads with the same backing plate but different thicknesses. The FCP1334H is 16mm thick, while the FRP3067H is 14.7mm thick. Mocking up the FCP1334H with the caliper and 34mm rotor had zero clearance. The thinner FRP3067H should fit the rotor very well, and save me from shaving down a brand new pad.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Picked my calipers up from the shop. Very happy with the results! Sandblasted, rebuilt with fresh seals, boots and castellated pistons, and powdercoated. Caliper Clinic in Troy, MI. They do cerakote too, wish I'd used them instead for my downpipe. Said they mostly do brakes shipped in. $200 for the pair, not including the racing brake pistons.

Before:
PXL_20211222_180859260.jpeg

After:
PXL_20220128_035917605.jpeg

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Picked my calipers up from the shop. Very happy with the results! Sandblasted, rebuilt with fresh seals, boots and castellated pistons, and powdercoated. Caliper Clinic in Troy, MI. They do cerakote too, wish I'd used them instead for my downpipe. Said they mostly do brakes shipped in. $200 for the pair, not including the racing brake pistons.

Before:
View attachment 237181

After:
View attachment 237180
$200 for the pair seems like an outrageous steal. Looks great.

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
They're quite nice, I didn't look for other options once I saw the hardware was stainless steel. I'm not sure how much I'll be removing the caliper, but for a quick test assembly it was handy for the studs to hold the calipers. The studs have a shoulder that locates the caliper accurately.

IMG_3157.jpeg

IMG_3148.jpeg