GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why can't I get rid of this car?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I am both happy and sad for you. Yay for the $ and sad that it takes away (potentially) from getting a fun vehicle. Personally I chose a people hauler and a fun car.
So far my son is the best thing to ever happen to any of us. He’s hilarious and a bundle of joy.

PastaMachina

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE DSG
I got promoted. Wife got a big raise. Was all set to list my R for sale and start Supra hunting. Bam pregnant. Now we’re looking at 3 row suvs to replace her Buick.

This is where The Ladies Man would come in and guide me to the forbidden land - to prevent such occurrences. You can still get the Supra you know...sell the wife. :ROFLMAO: In all seriousness though congratulations.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I've never been brand loyal, and this is my first gti, but this car is just too hard to get rid of for me. It has never been an issue before, even with my sti which the subaru diehards wanted to put me on the stake for moving away from scoob to a fwd vw (gasp!).

Not judging, but how are you only getting 20-22? A lot of uphill or wind resistance drives? Going 90mph all the time?

I don't drive super slow, but I rarely go over 10mph over. Typically I also find fun in tossing the car through turns (safely) by choosing the right places to be in a lower gear and use brake for rotation before a boosty power out. I still manage 25mpg around town, and typically going 80mph on the interstate I'm getting 30-32mpg. @70 I get closer to 34. Now, cruising along at 85 I start to dip into 28s, so I imagine if you're averaging in the 20s you're doing 90-95mph cruising? I did have issues with coil packs where I was getting less, but still not 20! 😳
Believe me I have tried everything. I don't have a clue why my mileage is so bad. I do sometimes cruise at 90-110 but I expect my mileage to be poor in those situations. The part that gets me is when I'm cruising at most 10 over the speed limit of even just slow speed driving around town, my MPGs don't really change much vs doing 100+. I always end up getting around 20mpg, the most I've ever seen on a tank was 24.

Regardless, the Bolt EUV now sits in my garage and the process of returning the GTI to stock begins. I definitely miss the GTI, a lot of it due to nostalgia and memories I've had. But this little bolt definitely zooms around and is packed with features. Coming from a lowered GTI, I can really appreciate the comfortable ride as well. Having the low COG due to the battery in the bottom makes it handle surprisingly well in turns for what it is.

I really hope VW makes the ID2 GTI and brings it to America, I feel naked without a Volkswagen. I'll be back in a VW eventually.

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
To the EV posts, I would look really thoroughly at the costs of EV ownership. I am far from an EV hater, and have always been positive on them. I had a deposit on a Tesla M3 back in '17 Before it came time to actually continue the purchase process after they were coming off the assembly line I realized the cost of charging per mile of range was equivalent to about 36MPG in an ICE car. True, gas is expensive in CA, especially in the bay area where I live, but, so are the electric rates. Even with solar, the KWH that go into charging is KWH that you are not selling back to the utility.

So, I bought an MK7 golf SE. I have been very happy with it. Its not a GTI or R but it still has enough power to not be dangerous merging onto a crowded freeway. Most of my driving is HWY and I average 35 MPG overall. Shortly after buying it I changed out the swaybars for stiffer ones, and now have a bit of oversteer when I want it. I just did a stage 1 tune, so that with the sway bars I can pretend I have a GTI. :)

I'll take this opportunity to report on the stage 1 tune for the Golf. For regular driving, there isn't much difference. Something feels a slight bit better, but I really wouldn't notice it if I didn't know I had the tune. For spirited driving, there is a VERY noticeable improvement. Off idle there is definitely more power sooner, but where it really shines is in the mid range. If you look at the stock torque curve you will see a little dip in the mid range, vs the tune which has a slight bump. Looking at the graph it seems insignificant but I really do notice the improvement there. Definitely not the placebo effect either because I didn't look at the graph until after I noticed the difference behind the wheel. I checked fuel consumption carefully on a regular trip I take, and I can't say my MPG has changed one way or the other. Both tests were driving as fuel sipping as I could. Perhaps that is why the MPGs are the same. I probably never asked more of the car than the stock ECU would have provided.

I really do like my Golf MK7, but I'm not happy with the interior of the MK8. When the time comes to replace, I might very well go with a used Cayman 718. 2 seats are fine, and the Cayman actually does have decent storage with 2 trunks.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I got promoted. Wife got a big raise. Was all set to list my R for sale and start Supra hunting. Bam pregnant. Now we’re looking at 3 row suvs to replace her Buick.

Congratulations!

I’d highly recommend a XC90 (our replacement for the wife’s GLI when I knocked her up again).

IMG_1946.jpeg
IMG_1945.jpeg
IMG_1947.jpeg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Congratulations!

I’d highly recommend a XC90 (our replacement for the wife’s GLI when I knocked her up again).

View attachment 293874View attachment 293875View attachment 293876

We looked at a polestar blue xc90 when we were shopping for my wife's new car. I really wanted to like this car, and I really wanted to like the twin charged engine, but ultimately it didn't feel like it justified its own price.

I still think they're the best looking suv on the road especially in the blue or black, and I love the white interior seats, especially with the suede option. However, comparing it to the Q7 was like comparing a Honda civic to a Mercedes c class. Sure it all looked nice and had soft touch bits in places, but the electronics felt buggy, engine was loud and rough for a luxo barge, and it didn't really feel spritely off the line.

In the end, I wind up towing 6500lbs+ all the time (including the racecar to the track) and the Volvo couldn't do that, not to mention the twin charged engine has had a lot of faults apparently. I'm glad we went the Q7 route still, but seeing an xc90 still makes me rubber neck so I can watch them come by, lol.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
We looked at a polestar blue xc90 when we were shopping for my wife's new car. I really wanted to like this car, and I really wanted to like the twin charged engine, but ultimately it didn't feel like it justified its own price.

I still think they're the best looking suv on the road especially in the blue or black, and I love the white interior seats, especially with the suede option. However, comparing it to the Q7 was like comparing a Honda civic to a Mercedes c class. Sure it all looked nice and had soft touch bits in places, but the electronics felt buggy, engine was loud and rough for a luxo barge, and it didn't really feel spritely off the line.

In the end, I wind up towing 6500lbs+ all the time (including the racecar to the track) and the Volvo couldn't do that, not to mention the twin charged engine has had a lot of faults apparently. I'm glad we went the Q7 route still, but seeing an xc90 still makes me rubber neck so I can watch them come by, lol.

I was only cross shopping it with Atlas, so in that light the XC90 really shines. CPO they’re very similar price wise.

The 2016-17 MY had the majority of issues, but ours being a 2021 should be fine (if not, 6 year unlimited mileage warranty to the rescue).

We also have a older Suburban that handles towing duties, so no worries there as the XC90 may be “rated” to tow 5k, but I wouldn’t.

IMG_2128.jpeg
IMG_1373.jpeg
IMG_1181.jpeg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I was only cross shopping it with Atlas, so in that light the XC90 really shines. CPO they’re very similar price wise.

The 2016-17 MY had the majority of issues, but ours being a 2021 should be fine (if not, 6 year unlimited mileage warranty to the rescue).

We also have a older Suburban that handles towing duties, so no worries there as the XC90 may be “rated” to tow 5k, but I wouldn’t.
Atlas shatlas, the xc90 is easily 20x the better car, lol. The atlas felt so disappointingly plasticky when I drove one.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
To the EV posts, I would look really thoroughly at the costs of EV ownership. I am far from an EV hater, and have always been positive on them. I had a deposit on a Tesla M3 back in '17 Before it came time to actually continue the purchase process after they were coming off the assembly line I realized the cost of charging per mile of range was equivalent to about 36MPG in an ICE car. True, gas is expensive in CA, especially in the bay area where I live, but, so are the electric rates. Even with solar, the KWH that go into charging is KWH that you are not selling back to the utility.

So, I bought an MK7 golf SE. I have been very happy with it. Its not a GTI or R but it still has enough power to not be dangerous merging onto a crowded freeway. Most of my driving is HWY and I average 35 MPG overall. Shortly after buying it I changed out the swaybars for stiffer ones, and now have a bit of oversteer when I want it. I just did a stage 1 tune, so that with the sway bars I can pretend I have a GTI. :)

I'll take this opportunity to report on the stage 1 tune for the Golf. For regular driving, there isn't much difference. Something feels a slight bit better, but I really wouldn't notice it if I didn't know I had the tune. For spirited driving, there is a VERY noticeable improvement. Off idle there is definitely more power sooner, but where it really shines is in the mid range. If you look at the stock torque curve you will see a little dip in the mid range, vs the tune which has a slight bump. Looking at the graph it seems insignificant but I really do notice the improvement there. Definitely not the placebo effect either because I didn't look at the graph until after I noticed the difference behind the wheel. I checked fuel consumption carefully on a regular trip I take, and I can't say my MPG has changed one way or the other. Both tests were driving as fuel sipping as I could. Perhaps that is why the MPGs are the same. I probably never asked more of the car than the stock ECU would have provided.

I really do like my Golf MK7, but I'm not happy with the interior of the MK8. When the time comes to replace, I might very well go with a used Cayman 718. 2 seats are fine, and the Cayman actually does have decent storage with 2 trunks.

So my decision of switching my passat GT daily for a EV daily (my GTI stopped being my daily and just was my play car when I got to passat gt) had nothing to do with savings of gas, as my switch was soley based on the level of performance (with still having the items I consider nice for comfort and daily use) I was getting For the price range I was shopping in. The lack of maintenance costs and gas (even wasn’t a selling point at all since I have the ability to expense up to $200 a month with my job for fuel ) are just extra icing, but for reference …

My ev has 576/545 hp/tq so use that as a reference to efficiency of a fuel car with that level of power (something like 14-20mpg depending on powertrain).
In southern Nevada we have a time of use option with an additional EV rate, if you charge off peak (overnight) of $0.079 per kWh currently… so round up to 8cents my personal car has averaged 2.8miles per kWh over the past 5k miles of regular driving (3.5per kwh) and plenty of WOT driving (under 2per kwh) since gas price fluctuate between trump and Biden 😂 let’s even just do the math based on a false $3.50per gallon, and giving the ice car the assume 20mpg and using my 2.8mpkwh it’s 3 cents per mile I’m paying Vs 17 cents per mile based on a false gas price, lol. Do the math with current gas prices and the gap gets even bigger.

I enjoy my EV a lot but also like I’ve said before if I was in a position were I was having to get rid of my GTI for even as fun and fast as my ev6 GT is I wouldn’t do it, cause I just love the feel and feedback my GTI gives me.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG

When I did the calculations based on my annual driving habits and cost of charging the car, it came out to around a $4k savings per year. Solar or not, that's a generous savings. I drove my GTI today and it is really fun, but seeing the dash say I'm getting 18-20mpg reminds me why I am selling it. If I lived in a state with cheaper gas (literally anywhere else in the US) I would keep the GTI and have a blast.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
When I did the calculations based on my annual driving habits and cost of charging the car, it came out to around a $4k savings per year. Solar or not, that's a generous savings. I drove my GTI today and it is really fun, but seeing the dash say I'm getting 18-20mpg reminds me why I am selling it. If I lived in a state with cheaper gas (literally anywhere else in the US) I would keep the GTI and have a blast.

Not sure how you get such bad mileage.

That’s like 550whp Golf R mileage.