GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which lowering springs should I go with?

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Excellent drop as well. Are you on 19s or 20s?

19x8.5 et43 VWR R360 with 235/35 Firehawks. Not a terrible ride since the preference is 18's, but I scored a deal on them.

Even if the spring rate errs closer to OEM, I can't take my chances on anything lower unless I want to get a defect ticket from asshole cops in one part of my city. The wheel gap is just obvious enough to make it look factory along with the wheels.

Last edited:

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Just an edit Im playing around with. But this is the ride height I am hoping for with the H&R OE. Seems about right?

Attachments

• IMG_20210611_234925.jpg
    IMG_20210611_234925.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20210611_235713.jpg
    IMG_20210611_235713.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 141

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just an edit Im playing around with. But this is the ride height I am hoping for with the H&R OE. Seems about right?
Only you can decide what's right for you. As long as it doesn't rub when it hits a bump and you're happy that's all that matters.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Just an edit Im playing around with. But this is the ride height I am hoping for with the H&R OE. Seems about righ

Have you looked at the Neuspeed Sport springs? They lower 1.1 front and rear and the spring rate isn't much higher than stock.

Lowering:

• 2014-up Audi A3 8V FWD - 1.2" F / 1.3" R
  • 2015-up VW GTI Mk7 - 1.1" F / 1.1" R
  • 2015-up Golf Mk7 1.8L TSI - 1.6" F / 1.6" R

Spring Rate:

• NEUSPEED Front Spring Rate: 260 lbs/in
  • NEUSPEED Rear Spring Rate: 290 lbs/in

• Original GTI Spring Rate: Front - 175 lbs/in, Rear - 230 lbs/

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Have you looked at the Neuspeed Sport springs? They lower 1.1 front and rear and the spring rate isn't much higher than stock.

Lowering:

• 2014-up Audi A3 8V FWD - 1.2" F / 1.3" R
  • 2015-up VW GTI Mk7 - 1.1" F / 1.1" R
  • 2015-up Golf Mk7 1.8L TSI - 1.6" F / 1.6" R

Spring Rate:

• NEUSPEED Front Spring Rate: 260 lbs/in
  • NEUSPEED Rear Spring Rate: 290 lbs/in

• Original GTI Spring Rate: Front - 175 lbs/in, Rear - 230 lbs/
I have not. Thanks for the suggestion I'll do some research on it 🙂
Only you can decide what's right for you. As long as it doesn't rub when it hits a bump and you're happy that's all that matters.
Agreed thanks!

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
@MK7Fanatic what specifically is your goal with the car? Generally, the lower you go, the more comfort you are trading. Anything dropping your car more than 1” is going to start compromising ride quality significantly, especially on factory dampers. The edit you posted looks about identical to the cars in this thread on OE Sports with TT rear pads. If you are not upgrading your dampers, forget about anything lower unless you want to give up significant ride quality.

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
@MK7Fanatic what specifically is your goal with the car? Generally, the lower you go, the more comfort you are trading. Anything dropping your car more than 1” is going to start compromising ride quality significantly, especially on factory dampers. The edit you posted looks about identical to the cars in this thread on OE Sports with TT rear pads. If you are not upgrading your dampers, forget about anything lower unless you want to give up significant ride quality.

This is generally true, however this is what I found absolutely bizarre about the end result in terms of ride quality and comfort after installing the VWR kit- an improvement in ride quality and comfort over factory suspension despite the lowering (thanks to it being a well matched pairing of spring and damper).

Gone was the jitteryness of the factory damper response and gone was the jolts over expansion joints and railroad tracks. The car just glides over these with the cup kit.

Edit: as mentioned below by efally trimming the bumpstops is essentially to keep the suspension travel. On my install
55mm Front bumpstop, trimmed 1/8”
110mm Rear bumpstop 1/4”

Last edited:

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Lowering springs shouldn't dramatically change ride quality unless their installation results in frequent contact with the bump stops. Stock dampers have little to do with impacting ride quality as a result of installing lowering springs, with the possible exception of DCC stock dampers needing a recalibration for the new ride height. I have yet to recalibrate my DCC stock dampers after VWR spring installation. I'll report back on the difference after I do. If you install lowering springs and are concerned about maintaining ride quality, I'd suggest trimming 50 to 75% of the expected ride height drop from the bump stops. The Neuspeed springs seem to be an interesting exception to most others, with the rear spring rate being raised considerably higher than the front. No doubt an effort by Neuspeed to reduce understeer via the springs more than other manufacturers.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
My goal is just like most, daily driver. Better stance with about 1" drop and TRY to keep the ride quality near as stock as possible, OEM+ basically. I don't even plan on getting wheels or a front lip anytime soon. Trying to enjoy the car for what it is and make it look a little cleaner. If I get H&R OE which I am still very much leaning too, I'll get the MQB rake pads as well for sure
This is generally true, however this is what I found absolutely bizarre about the end result in terms of ride quality and comfort after installing the VWR kit- an improvement in ride quality and comfort over factory suspension despite the lowering (thanks to it being a well matched pairing of spring and damper).

Gone was the jitteryness of the factory damper response and gone was the jolts over expansion joints and railroad tracks. The car just glides over these with the cup kit.

Edit: as mentioned below by efally trimming the bumpstops is essentially to keep the suspension travel. On my install
55mm Front bumpstop, trimmed 1/8”
110mm Rear bumpstop 1/4”

So even with H&R OE I should trim my bump stops about 1/4? Does it hurt if I trim too much off?
Lowering springs shouldn't dramatically change ride quality unless their installation results in frequent contact with the bump stops. Stock dampers have little to do with impacting ride quality as a result of installing lowering springs, with the possible exception of DCC stock dampers needing a recalibration for the new ride height. I have yet to recalibrate my DCC stock dampers after VWR spring installation. I'll report back on the difference after I do. If you install lowering springs and are concerned about maintaining ride quality, I'd suggest trimming 50 to 75% of the expected ride height drop from the bump stops. The Neuspeed springs seem to be an interesting exception to most others, with the rear spring rate being raised considerably higher than the front. No doubt an effort by Neuspeed to reduce understeer via the springs more than other manufacturers.

I looked into neuspeed but the drop says 1.6" drop? Am I looking at the wrong one? I had Neuspeed paired with Koni Yellows on my 8th gen si but they lowered the car quite a bit and found them harsh after a while. For reference I had less than a finger gap.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Yes Neuspeed has two different lowering spring configurations, sport and race. Sport is supposed to be a 1.1" drop, and race a 1.6" drop. Both are listed with the same spring rates. I wasn't suggesting Neuspeed springs, just making an observation about them seeming to use different spring rate changes than most others. I bought Neuspeed sport & VWR springs, and ending up installing the VWR springs. They lowered the car just over an inch front and rear, and ending up very slightly higher in the rear than the front without the TT pads, although I had them on hand just in case. I suggest trimming the bump stops 50 to 75% of the expected spring drop. If you're installing yourself, start with less trimming, as you can always go back and trim more if needed.

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
@MK7Fanatic to offer some contrast, I have had a couple different setups. Going from H&R Sports which drop the car a little over an inch, to H&R OE Sports (advertised at 0.75”), the ride quality is noticeably better. The lower springs felt stiffer, with more bounce on factory dampers. The car stayed pretty flat out on the track, but was too harsh for my liking on the street. The OE Sports exhibit less stiffness and less bounce, while also feeling slightly softer through corners. Apples to apples, I prefer the ride of OE Sports in a daily driver and personally would not go beyond a 1” drop on factory dampers. The handling is plenty good, too.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
@MK7Fanatic to offer some contrast, I have had a couple different setups. Going from H&R Sports which drop the car a little over an inch, to H&R OE Sports (advertised at 0.75”), the ride quality is noticeably better. The lower springs felt stiffer, with more bounce on factory dampers. The car stayed pretty flat out on the track, but was too harsh for my liking on the street. The OE Sports exhibit less stiffness and less bounce, while also feeling slightly softer through corners. Apples to apples, I prefer the ride of OE Sports in a daily driver and personally would not go beyond a 1” drop on factory dampers. The handling is plenty good, too.
Out of curiosity, did you trim the bump stops for either lowering spring install?

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
@efaily one set was dealer installed and the other by a reputable shop in the area, so I’d have to ask. That said, I am not describing the suspension bottoming out, rather, general ride quality. My point is that the Sport springs felt stiffer than OE Sports, and that factory dampers struggled to keep up. Bottoming out was not a problem with either setup. The suspension travel felt fine in that regard.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Yes Neuspeed has two different lowering spring configurations, sport and race. Sport is supposed to be a 1.1" drop, and race a 1.6" drop. Both are listed with the same spring rates. I wasn't suggesting Neuspeed springs, just making an observation about them seeming to use different spring rate changes than most others. I bought Neuspeed sport & VWR springs, and ending up installing the VWR springs. They lowered the car just over an inch front and rear, and ending up very slightly higher in the rear than the front without the TT pads, although I had them on hand just in case. I suggest trimming the bump stops 50 to 75% of the expected spring drop. If you're installing yourself, start with less trimming, as you can always go back and trim more if needed.
Okay thanks! I'll probably trim my bump stops a bit just on case. If I need to trim more I'm assuming I don't need to remove my suspension to do that?
@efaily one set was dealer installed and the other by a reputable shop in the area, so I’d have to ask. That said, I am not describing the suspension bottoming out, rather, general ride quality. My point is that the Sport springs felt stiffer than OE Sports, and that factory dampers struggled to keep up. Bottoming out was not a problem with either setup. The suspension travel felt fine in that regard.
Great feedback thank you! Leaning more and more towards H&R OE now.. still struggling so pull the trigger 😂

Can you tell me how many finger gaps you have with the H&R OE?