GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which lowering springs should I go with?

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
@MK7Fanatic see previous pic in thread for fender gap on 235/40/18 (slightly wider and taller than stock tires). You will be within 1/3” with 225/40/18s. I went with 235s because I’m running 18 x 8.5” wheels and needed more rubber.

Below are a couple pics for you on the factory 225s for comparison.

C8CF7A45-BE57-449E-948C-D3748FC16945.jpeg

870F393F-BEE0-4374-92C7-1A2E43D81C2A.jpeg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
A set of the springs you have listed with the stock dampers will be just fine for your use and should meet your requirements - the OE Sports look to be the most mild. The issue of blown dampers on a spring that is just slightly shorter and slightly higher rate is a bit over-played IMHO. I ran H&R Sports on my stockers for a year on my wagon with zero drama or bounciness - when I pulled the stock dampers off they felt "like new" with 55K on them total/30K of that on the H&Rs. I have B8s on there now which ride superbly but again, it was fine with the stockers including use at a HPDE. You can't expect to have a lowering spring that doesn't increase the spring rate/overall firmness of the suspension or it would be bottomed all the time - this will then create a faster rebound than you had with your stock springs but doesn't immediately "blow" the damper. Son has Koni Sports with Eibach Pro Kit springs on his Focus, it rides v. similarly w/r to spring rate/damping feel (Konis set to full soft).

Mike79

Car(s)
2020 VW Golf GTI
My goal is just like most, daily driver. Better stance with about 1" drop and TRY to keep the ride quality near as stock as possible, OEM+ basically. I don't even plan on getting wheels or a front lip anytime soon. Trying to enjoy the car for what it is and make it look a little cleaner. If I get H&R OE which I am still very much leaning too, I'll get the MQB rake pads as well for sure

So even with H&R OE I should trim my bump stops about 1/4? Does it hurt if I trim too much off?

I looked into neuspeed but the drop says 1.6" drop? Am I looking at the wrong one? I had Neuspeed paired with Koni Yellows on my 8th gen si but they lowered the car quite a bit and found them harsh after a while. For reference I had less than a finger gap.
This was precisely my goal as well. After doing some homework, I settled on the VWR springs. It does feel just like factory to me. (I am surprised at how the stock ride height is so high. To me the factory ride height should have been lower: where the VWR springs set the ride height.) Anyhow, I am pleased overall. The only drawback I can name is that the roads where I live have some nasty pavement bumps where a bridge joint connects to the regular road. On occasion the shocks hit the bump stop making a loud noise. However, this is hardly the springs' fault. Since changing to a 235/40ZR18 Michelin tire (from the 225/40R18), I have not had it happen anymore but it certainly could. Consider, the slightly wider tire has a very slightly taller sidewall: 3.8 millimeters to be approximate. Visually almost undetectable but it helps having the extra rubber cushion.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Shouldn't measurements be taken from the fender to the hub? Two different sized tires will give two different fender to ground measurements.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Shouldn't measurements be taken from the fender to the hub? Two different sized tires will give two different fender to ground measurements.
Yes but nobody seems to do this - it would make comparing things SO much easier.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Definitely better for comparing between cars, but for comparing drop before and after on the same car, fender to ground works well, and is less susceptible to small errors from different people not measuring exactly to middle of the hub.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This question has been beaten to death hundreds of times on this forum.

Option b is your best bet, stock dampers don't like lowering springs.

Even the springs that say you can run them with stock struts/stocks ride like crap.

If you want a mild lowering, .75 in, go H&R OE, koni sports, and eurosport camber kit. If you want approx 1 in, APR with konis and the camber kit. If you do the APR, trim your front bump stops.

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
A set of the springs you have listed with the stock dampers will be just fine for your use and should meet your requirements - the OE Sports look to be the most mild. The issue of blown dampers on a spring that is just slightly shorter and slightly higher rate is a bit over-played IMHO. I ran H&R Sports on my stockers for a year on my wagon with zero drama or bounciness - when I pulled the stock dampers off they felt "like new" with 55K on them total/30K of that on the H&Rs. I have B8s on there now which ride superbly but again, it was fine with the stockers including use at a HPDE. You can't expect to have a lowering spring that doesn't increase the spring rate/overall firmness of the suspension or it would be bottomed all the time - this will then create a faster rebound than you had with your stock springs but doesn't immediately "blow" the damper. Son has Koni Sports with Eibach Pro Kit springs on his Focus, it rides v. similarly w/r to spring rate/damping feel (Konis set to full soft).
@tigeo I am not sure exactly what your setup was, but zero bounciness from an H&R Sport spring is not the case on a GTI with stock dampers. I have had those springs on a GTI with stock (non-DCC) dampers and the ride is much different than stock.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
@tigeo I am not sure exactly what your setup was, but zero bounciness from an H&R Sport spring is not the case on a GTI with stock dampers. I have had those springs on a GTI with stock (non-DCC) dampers and the ride is much different than stock.
My setup was H&R Sport springs on the stock Sportwagen (4Mo) dampers. One issue with suspension discussions...subjectivity. I don't consider what I had bouncy but sure, it's going to be both firmer and rebound quicker which to some, is bouncy? Even with the B8s I have now, it's certainly firmer and still can seem to rebound more quickly than the stock setup.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Just wanted to update this thread. I ended going to Eibach Pro kit and probably couldn't be happier. I did use the 2x4 method installing and did not use any reverse rake pads. This is how it looks a few hours install.

Lowered from 3.5 finger gaps to about 1.5 for me so I think that's slightly over an inch. By no means a proper measurement but a quick observation.

Ride quality - a bit early to tell but driving on my usual route in my area the suspension is slightly firmer but nothing that raises my immediate attention.

New hardware used:
New strut bearings
New strut pinch bolts + nut

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_113854_899.jpg
    IMG_20210619_113854_899.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_20210619_113855_225.jpg
    IMG_20210619_113855_225.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20210618_211151_929.jpg
    IMG_20210618_211151_929.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 236

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Did you have any reverse rake issues with h&r OE? I heard even with TT rear pads the rear still sits a bit lower?

OE advertised 0.75" drop but I believe most people end up with 1" or little bit more? Seems to be the same with APR springs

Looking at my car on APR and his on H&R, the rears are higher for APR and APR fronts are lower. I think APR GTI setup has too much forward rake.

I just bought a used set of MSS so I can play around with rear ride height and spring rate.