GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Front license plate mount to buy?

Kcoghlan7

I have seen a couple different front license plate mounts which use the tow hook receptacle. I see products for $24 (Prestige Auto Accessories), $43 (Z4 Racing Tow-235) and $80 ("No Holes") appreciate guidance on which one to use.

Moved to Idaho; must have front plate.

By the way, how do I remove the tow hook receptacle cover cleanly?

Thanks

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
US Mill Works too, you'll get what you paid for, plus unlike other models it doesn't look like is going to cut someone's leg off [emoji4]
To remove the round bumper cover use your fingers and push in, I believe is on the right side push in and then pull it out and twist the the end of the plastic string that keeps it place, that will allow it to come out without braking it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kcoghlan7

How about the "lightened" kit?

Thanks so much for your guidance to US Millworks. Any reason besides the 5oz difference to go with the lightened version?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks so much for your guidance to US Millworks. Any reason besides the 5oz difference to go with the lightened version?

I went with the regular because that gave me the offset that I wanted, in my opinion you don't need the more expensive one. Something to be aware of is that if you have parking sensors that could be a problem but I can not confirm this, shoot them an email if you have sensors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
A little late but another vote for the US Mill works plate mount. I got the normal version in black, no quick release. Considering you set it right the first mounting and just spin it off when needed I didn't see a reason for that.

IMG_20160429_123517 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20160621_151139crop by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Also, very happy with the grab bag of hardware they included. I used 3 of the longer screws and one of the shorter so that if someone backs into me there will be no screw sticking out the back of the mount to hit the bumper.

IMG_20160829_123055 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

:cool:

vw671

Autocross Newbie
If you guys want a different option/look: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25496

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
A little late but another vote for the US Mill works plate mount. I got the normal version in black, no quick release. Considering you set it right the first mounting and just spin it off when needed I didn't see a reason for that.

How'd you get a dealership in CA not to drill holes in your front bumper. ALL of the f*cking dealerships here in the Bay Area do it as soon as the car gets to their lot.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
How'd you get a dealership in CA not to drill holes in your front bumper. ALL of the f*cking dealerships here in the Bay Area do it as soon as the car gets to their lot.

Honestly I didn't even say anything, I just got lucky. I know it's a "rule" they have to, it either got skipped or they'd have you come back when the plates arrive to have them installed.

Flip side to getting lucky on the front bumper, the dealer plate frame that was mounted with the paper plate in the rear scratched the bumper, so no one gets out of this free and clear hahah.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
US Mill Works all the way.

Quick-Disconnect is also a must.

I didn't feel that the quick disconnect was worth the money, when you can just unthread that mount in about 10 seconds if you need to. If they made a quick disconnect GoPro mount or made a bracket that doubled as a tow hook I'd understand it for the "accessories" but it just seemed like excess to me. Neat, but excessive.

Redleg02

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
US Mill Works all the way.

Quick-Disconnect is also a must.

I bought the quick disconnect kit, but didn't put it on. If set up parallel to the front of the car and completely vertical, it looks like it will spin off without touching the car at all, even set up all the way to one side like I do.