GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where's the sweet spot?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I have a Wavetrac. Doesn't help.

Really? It definitely helped me. It was a night and day difference, especially in straight line acceleration. I don’t auto cross my car, but I’ve had my Wavetrac monster me out of quite a few ballsy turns on mountain roads (Harriman State Park is my back yard) since installing it. You can feel it load up, hook and go to work. WAY WAY WAY better compared to the stock differentials. You really don’t realize just how bad your stock diff is until you have an ATB LSD. It is definitely an upgrade worth doing and 100% needed in big power builds.

You can’t use the throttle like a ON/OFF switch in anything with power. No singling you out, but all these “can’t put the power down” have never driven anything fast.

If you’re also talking to me, you missed an important word. “Can’t put the power down efficiently.” If you’re not, my apologies.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Really? It definitely helped me. It was a night and day difference, especially in straight line acceleration. I don’t auto cross my car, but I’ve had my Wavetrac monster me out of quite a few ballsy turns on mountain roads (Harriman State Park is my back yard) since installing it. You can feel it load up, hook and go to work. WAY WAY WAY better compared to the stock differentials. You really don’t realize just how bad your stock diff is until you have an ATB LSD. It is definitely an upgrade worth doing and 100% needed in big power builds.

If you’re also talking to me, you missed an important word. “Can’t put the power down efficiently.” If you’re not, my apologies.

Just in general, not even specifically here on the forums people say that a lot about these cars

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Completely agree that it's night and day. I meant after a certain power level, it really doesn't help in launching the car.
Is it better? for sure
Does it let you power through corners much better than stock? Absolutely
Can it make up for 400hp trying to go through the front tires? Not really.

I think we're on the same page about this. I love the lsd. It's amazing how it really pulls the car through corners. Felt it immediately. But at the end of the day, were trying to put a lot of power through the front tires. Acceleration unloads the front and you lose traction.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
They have FXD (far exceeding it's electro-hydraulic multi-plate clutch limitations), magical tunes, LCAs and mounts.

Peloquin, Quaife or Wavetrac won't help them, nope... not needed. They don't have any problems putting it down, said so themselves. A real LSD would just be a waste of money, especially on a 523HP/433TQ MK7. Maybe when Drew builds his "600HP 1/4 mile track car" he'll upgrade his stock differential or maybe FXD, his magical tune and all those supporting mods will be so good that he still won't need to, it's anyone's guess at this point.

Ok, now you're acting like an immature asshole and I guess what they say is true, ignorance is bliss. I daily drive my car and when I want to have some fun, I completely turn off traction control. I've floored it plenty of times at 40 mph, which is 2nd gear, and the tires would spin a little but then get traction and that's because I have a decent set of tires; the stickier the tire, the better traction. Also, it obvious you don't know much about protunes and the benefits that come with having a custom tune for your car. The nice smooth linear onset of power also helps with traction but what do I know since you must already know everything about my car. I'm willing to give anybody a ride in my car, all you have to do is bring your ass on down.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ok, now you're acting like an immature asshole and I guess what they say is true, ignorance is bliss. I daily drive my car and when I want to have some fun, I completely turn off traction control. I've floored it plenty of times at 40 mph, which is 2nd gear, and the tires would spin a little but then get traction and that's because I have a decent set of tires; the stickier the tire, the better traction. Also, it obvious you don't know much about protunes and the benefits that come with having a custom tune for your car. The nice smooth linear onset of power also helps with traction but what do I know since you must already know everything about my car. I'm willing to give anybody a ride in my car, all you have to do is bring your ass on down.
I would certainly like a ride and the weather is perfect this time of year in Arizona.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
For streets...I'd think a 12 sec car trapping about 115 would be a sweet spot for this car.

For the track... low 300 whp/wtq and massive weight reduction and all the other bits sorted out should be a nice reliable setup.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

You’re right, I know nothing about custom tunes. I’ve never built fast cars that ran custom tunes and I’ve never built fast bikes that ran custom tunes. Please tell me how custom tunes work.

Do you know anything about open differentials or your BorgWarner FXD system? If you did, I suspect you’d have a real limited slip differential at your power levels.

I’m not being an ass, I’m just telling you that you are not efficiently putting your power down. I don’t give a shit about your tune, you are pushing 500HP/400TQ through a FWD open differential with a consumer ediff (ACTING as a limited slip) that is greatly exceeded in capability. You’d have to be neutering your power significantly in first, second and third to prevent a one tire fire/loss of power. If you are doing this, as you have freely admitted to be doing with your pro tune, YOU ARE NOT PUTTING YOUR NUMBERS DOWN EFFICIENTLY. End of story.

You are talking about building a 600HP 1/4 mile track car and you are still running an open differential and a consumer electronic differential that has no place in the performance world (unless you upgrade it’s clutches and run different controller software as VW motor sports does and/or swap the open differential out for a true limited slip - again, just as VW motor sports does).

I’m sorry to hurt your feelings or ego, it is just very questionable how knowledgeable you are about performance cars honestly. You’re arguing with me about an open differential FWD car and your ability to put down big power through it... it’s mind boggling.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You’re right, I know nothing about custom tunes. I’ve never built fast cars that ran custom tunes and I’ve never built fast bikes that ran custom tunes. Please tell me how custom tunes work.

Do you know anything about open differentials or your BorgWarner FXD system? If you did, I suspect you’d have a real limited slip differential at your power levels.

I’m not being an ass, I’m just telling you that you are not efficiently putting your power down. I don’t give a shit about your tune, you are pushing 500HP/400TQ through a FWD open differential with a consumer ediff (ACTING as a limited slip) that is greatly exceeded in capability. You’d have to be neutering your power significantly in first, second and third to prevent a one tire fire/loss of power. If you are doing this, as you have freely admitted to be doing with your pro tune, YOU ARE NOT PUTTING YOUR NUMBERS DOWN EFFICIENTLY. End of story.

You are talking about building a 600HP 1/4 mile track car and you are still running an open differential and a consumer electronic differential that has no place in the performance world (unless you upgrade it’s clutches and run different controller software as VW motor sports does and/or swap the open differential out for a true limited slip - again, just as VW motor sports does).

I’m sorry to hurt your feelings or ego, it is just very questionable how knowledgeable you are about performance cars honestly. You’re arguing with me about an open differential FWD car and your ability to put down big power through it... it’s mind boggling.
I have an 18 SE with the electronically locking diff and at 416 HP and 428 torque I have very little wheel spin. I haven't ridden in Drew's car but I'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt because he's always been a straight shooter. He has no reason to lie about it.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I have an 18 SE with the electronically locking diff and at 416 HP and 428 torque I have very little wheel spin. I haven't ridden in Drew's car but I'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt because he's always been a straight shooter. He has no reason to lie about it.

Fuck it, what’s the point in arguing. You guys are right, I’m wrong.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I understand you believing that. I've read about lots of guys not getting traction with less power than Drew and I and quite honestly I don't understand why I have such good traction. I do know that the tires make a big difference. I have Michelin PSAS4 tires now and they have lots of tread. I had the Michelin PSAS 3+ before these and I did have a lot of tire screeching with those but never broke them loose.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Yep, pretty much. Just goes to show you don't know what you are talking about. I have a 2016 S so I don't even have the electronic LSD nor do I have a Wavetrac. I've raced my car before with all-season and summer tires, with a passenger taking video, and still no issue. The A/S 3+ tires were the only ones that gave me wheel spin in 2nd and 3rd. My summer tires, PS4S, would break a little when flooring it in 2nd but that's it and the same with my new winter tires, the PSAS4. Bring your ass down from NY and I'll take you for multiple rides. Hell, I'll even let you stay at my place for free.

Last edited: