GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where to custom order gaming laptops?

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2012 GTI, Sun/Nav
Okay, so before I get the obligatory LMGTFY post or "ZOMG Y U NO BUY SAGER??!11?!2" answers...I want to buy hardware only, with driver software of course. I have a Windows 7 volume license and don't want to pay for a Windows license when I don't have to...and I don't want to deal with all the bloatware. Alienware (according to their online chat minions) won't do a custom build sans software. In fact, it doesn't seem as though ANY PC builder will; I can go through XoticPC or PowerNoteBooks and order an older model cleaned of all software...but all they do is boot it up and clean everything off that I could have done in the first place.

The obvious answer is "build your own machine" and I very well could, at about 2/3 the price of a high end laptop, build a PC that could eclipse said high end laptop...but having the job that I do, I don't have a lot of time to build and configure a PC.

Anyone know of any dealers or hidden tips/tricks/etc? I know Dell used to sell some systems without OS, or with Linux; I would prefer to get an Alienware because I already have a Dell credit line that has been at zero balance for a couple years, and Alienware build quality is said to be excellent.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I had a pre Dell take over Alienware laptop and it was awesome. It lasted for years until it got some ridiculous virus that is almost impossible to get rid of so I pulled the HDD sold the laptop and bought a MBP.

You can build laptops most are generic chassis or at least they used to be. My Alienware chassis all the boutique companies sold their own version of it with small cosmetic changes. Go on notebookforums.com those guys can help you.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I don't know that Clevo has any competition in that realm. Last I knew that was the only option.

It's not like you really pay much of anything for the OS anyway, buy whatever you want loaded with windows h8 and bloatware, then immediately do a clean install with your copy of windows 7.

blankwavercade

Ready to race!
Saying you don't want to hear "build your own machine" is a pretty stupid comment. It only takes a few hours one evening to build and configure a new build. In the long run buying a laptop for gaming is a bad idea. The problem with it is that gaming laptops are inferior to desktop machines from the start. You have heating issues regardless of what you do. You cannot upgrade parts which then makes your $1000+ laptop a terrible decision. Like thedude said about not wanting to pay for the os. One of the few ways you can actually do this with a laptop is buying a laptop built specifically for linux. This will cost you more than its really worth and they'll tell you that youre not paying for the free open source operating system. youre paying for high quality components...that you can buy inside of a different laptop with said bloatware.

Like i said i know you don't want to hear it but, build your own machine youll be happier in the long run.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
I don't mean to scream "build your own!" but you can get MicroATX cases pretty small, with all the components you'd need. You wouldn't be able to bring it to a coffee shop, but you can easily stuff everything you need in a backpack and bring that wherever you go for a few days (I've actually done this with my mid tower too, when house sitting for a week). There is always a significant cost/performance savings as well but you know that already. I've always been interested in standardized laptop builds like PC builds go, where everything is interchangeable and updateable by component.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I need to head East apparently. Who has those?

We have one here..."Ooo La La Lattes"

Okay, so before I get the obligatory LMGTFY post or "ZOMG Y U NO BUY SAGER??!11?!2" answers...I want to buy hardware only, with driver software of course. I have a Windows 7 volume license and don't want to pay for a Windows license when I don't have to...and I don't want to deal with all the bloatware. Alienware (according to their online chat minions) won't do a custom build sans software. In fact, it doesn't seem as though ANY PC builder will; I can go through XoticPC or PowerNoteBooks and order an older model cleaned of all software...but all they do is boot it up and clean everything off that I could have done in the first place.

The obvious answer is "build your own machine" and I very well could, at about 2/3 the price of a high end laptop, build a PC that could eclipse said high end laptop...but having the job that I do, I don't have a lot of time to build and configure a PC.

Anyone know of any dealers or hidden tips/tricks/etc? I know Dell used to sell some systems without OS, or with Linux; I would prefer to get an Alienware because I already have a Dell credit line that has been at zero balance for a couple years, and Alienware build quality is said to be excellent.

OP Why does it matter when it's just $100 or less?

Just buy the laptop you want, wipe it clean, fresh install your volume license, done and done.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2012 GTI, Sun/Nav
I need to head East apparently. Who has those?

There are joints like that all over the place here. Ladybugs, Foxy Lady, Cowgirls, etc. In some cases, they're wearing corsets. Others, they're wearing pasties. Hit and miss with the coffee though.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2012 GTI, Sun/Nav
Saying you don't want to hear "build your own machine" is a pretty stupid comment. It only takes a few hours one evening to build and configure a new build. In the long run buying a laptop for gaming is a bad idea. The problem with it is that gaming laptops are inferior to desktop machines from the start. You have heating issues regardless of what you do. You cannot upgrade parts which then makes your $1000+ laptop a terrible decision. Like thedude said about not wanting to pay for the os. One of the few ways you can actually do this with a laptop is buying a laptop built specifically for linux. This will cost you more than its really worth and they'll tell you that youre not paying for the free open source operating system. youre paying for high quality components...that you can buy inside of a different laptop with said bloatware.

Like i said i know you don't want to hear it but, build your own machine youll be happier in the long run.

I realize this, but the problem with this is 1) I want to use the computer in my living area, where I don't have space for a desktop, and 2) if I were to build from the ground up, it would take me weeks to get the system up and running since I have very little time to myself. I work 12 hour days on average.

I would love to build my own system and I know that I would be happier with it in the long run...not to mention, building with premium cutting edge components can extend the lifespan of the system for some time.

As it is, I'm typing this on a Dell Inspiron 1720 I got in early 2008 for a little under $1500.