GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where Does The Garage Door Clicker Go?

KS GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 R Lapis BlueDSG
I installed a new garage door opener last weekend and the new remote is tiny compared to the old unit.

The old unit fit nicely in my sunglasses holder and was out of sight that way. But, the new one is so much smaller, it would rattle around in the sunglass holder. I don't want to carry it on my keychain.

So, where does everyone keep their garage door clicker?

Thanks, Bob.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I slide it between two of the tabs in the cup holder up against the side. Fits pretty well for the small one I have, doesn't rattle. But it does take up one cup holder, putting anything in there you risk killing the battery with button press.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Clipped to visor. Isn't that what everyone does

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Clipped to visor. Isn't that what everyone does
I didn't like how it left a permanent indent on my mk6, so I never put it up on there on my mk7. I have the foam inserts that go into the door for a couple extra cup holders, and I've got mine clipped to that.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
https://www.doubleapex.co/products/mk7-garage-control?variant=38965808778

They're sold out but you can reach out to see when they'll more.

Double Apex made a kit that you could use one or two of the unused buttons down by the shifter. It goes in and out of stock though and costs around $200.

If you're feeling adventurous, there's also this:
(8) DIY MK7 GTI Garage Door Button Mod - YouTube

Edit: @dtfd and I were typing at the same time haha.

They've been out of them for ages... At least a year. I posted a WTB in the classifieds and even that took months.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Mine goes on the visor except flipped around with the button facing up towards the sky otherwise my mounts vibrate the vanity mirror against the light

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
To my surprise the driver side cubby has enough spacing to store my opener and OBD11 side by side.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Mine is still in the sunglass cubby. A little dab of Household GOOP keeps it in one place. The remote sits in the lower right corner when the cubby is closed, then the upper right corner when it's open. The GOOP will peel right off the rubber liner and remote, should you change your mind.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
cupholder for me. i used to swap it between cars but now my project car is taking up my other bay so the Tig stays in the drive. Wanting to get one of those garage door buttons that fits into the stock location by the shifter eventually. May make my own since the ones you can buy are pricy

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
When I had my bike, I had a keychain garage door opener. I soldered the button contacts together and then hooked the battery terminal to ground and the positive battery terminal to a switched power from the flash-to-pass switch. So when I got close to home I could just flash the high beams and my door would open. I may do that here.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Up your ar.....

.....sorry wrong thread.....!!!....:censored:.....:ROFLMAO: