GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When did Bikes become so expensive...

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking for a decent bike under $750 that I can ride on wooded trails around Charlotte and occasionally ride to and from work 1.5 miles. What do you bikers suggest?

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Specialized Rockhopper, get disc brakes now so you don't have to upgrade later (more expensive than I expected). August-September is the best time of the year to buy because that's when new model year parts come out and the current year stuff goes on sale.

Hard tails are just fine, you can spend a few bucks on new pedals with the little studs that stick up for better traction. You can save money on a helmet by getting a Bell skateboard helmet rather the the overpriced Fox or Giro ones they sell in bike stores. Same (or better) protection but they're just heavier.

Sent from my iPhone 5s - the world's greatest smartphone - so I am clearly better than you and whatever pitiful excuse for a communications device you use.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Walmart. $129

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
:iono:

I think my mountain bike was $99 at K-Mart 10 years ago and still holds up well...

$750+ sounds more like a used dirt bike/motorcycle than bike.

And lol at helmet.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I :laugh: at people who think helmets are stupid.

Hardtail disc brake bike is what you want. Look for at least SRAM x.7 or Shimano Deore drivetrain.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
1st off helmets aren't stupid, one pretty much saved my life (if not, serious injury) in highschool.

2nd, think about buying used. Lots of good entry-mid used bikes out there in that price range, folks who want to move up and need a bit more to put toward their insane FS comp bike or something.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Like I said, that's why your K-Mart bike has lasted... you don't actually ride. Nobody who actual rides on regular basis is stupid enough to have that mentality.

Personally the ONLY time I'm on a bike without a helmet is riding the fluid trainer in my basement.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
That is completely untrue. That's based on there being about 1000000 times more car accidents then bike accidents in general not the chance of a head injury during a crash.