GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheels and Tyres Question

Tamer

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello Guys, just bought my GTI Clubsport, it came with 18" wheels, VW doesn't recommend 19" as it may cause cracking of the panoramic roof!
Any one has experience to share on this topic? i ordered OZ 19" anyway :):):) just need to hear the counter arguments if any.
One more question, what is the widest tyre i can go for without causing friction with fenders? stock is 225, i will go for 235, wondering if i can go to 245??? any idea please?
Thanks

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Hello Guys, just bought my GTI Clubsport, it came with 18" wheels, VW doesn't recommend 19" as it may cause cracking of the panoramic roof!
Any one has experience to share on this topic? i ordered OZ 19" anyway :):):) just need to hear the counter arguments if any.
One more question, what is the widest tyre i can go for without causing friction with fenders? stock is 225, i will go for 235, wondering if i can go to 245??? any idea please?
Thanks

Weird, as many Pano roof Golfs including the Clubsport can be had with 19" wheels?

235/35/19 is the factory recommended tire size for 19" wheels

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
Not yet

Thanks

Running 19's and.....well, no cracks as far as I can see. :rolleyes:

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
Can I go for 245? Would it rub?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Would not recommend that without checking the wheel offset. If you are around 43-46 ET, it will be OK

I found this thread VERY helpful, which is what I used when I did the leap to 19's. I included my GTI in the thread at the time. I am running ABT 19's and the handling difference is night and day.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18334

BTW, I think somebody is pulling your leg on the crack sunroof thing. There is no physical difference in the standard whees to 19's as they are approximately the same overall dimension, the only thing I can think of is slightly....I mean slightly more radial inertia...but then again I would not expect any major operational dynamics from the two. The wider tyre increases the handling portion.

Last edited:

Tamer

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks a lot; and thanks for the thread I found it useful too; u think that 245 would really not rub against fenders??? If I buy them and they do then it is money down the drain ???

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tamer

Passed Driver's Ed
Would not recommend that without checking the wheel offset. If you are around 43-46 ET, it will be OK

I found this thread VERY helpful, which is what I used when I did the leap to 19's. I included my GTI in the thread at the time. I am running ABT 19's and the handling difference is night and day.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18334

BTW, I think somebody is pulling your leg on the crack sunroof thing. There is no physical difference in the standard whees to 19's as they are approximately the same overall dimension, the only thing I can think of is slightly....I mean slightly more radial inertia...but then again I would not expect any major operational dynamics from the two. The wider tyre increases the handling portion.
just checked, my ordered wheels are et48, so i guess that rules out 245 as this is already 3mm more offset than the et46!

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
just checked, my ordered wheels are et48, so i guess that rules out 245 as this is already 3mm more offset than the et46!

With ET48 the tyre will be 2mm outwards compared to stock + half the wheel width difference . With ET46 the tyre will be 4mm outward + etc...

Last edited: