GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel spin - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+?

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
I get lots of wheel spin in my 2019 GTI Autobahn on stock Potenzas. I've had the Michelins on other cars (AWD Audi) and was pleased with all levels of performance (comfort, dry, noise, wet, snow) but didn't really test wheel spin/grip due to AWD.

For those of you who have swapped Potenzas to these Michelins, can you describe any change in wheel spin, particularly from a dead stop (not a launch, just stepping on it from a light). Worth the $700ish?

Thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There is a current thread on these tires. They better be good because I just ordered them today based on the feedback in that thread.

Roadhog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19' R
If you stand on it you're still going to get a ton of wheel spin. I can still roast the tires off mine with 200TW Dunlop Z3's through first and second.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you stand on it you're still going to get a ton of wheel spin. I can still roast the tires off mine with 200TW Dunlop Z3's through first and second.

The 18 with the electronic locking differential must make a huge difference. My 18 SE FBO IS38 DSG doesn't spin the wheels at all.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I’ve never had dedicated summer tires. These are my first set of higher end AS tires. Grip is so much better than the stock Hankooks I had. I can’t imagine summer tires being any better. Maybe they are. But I have no need to find out.

I also find that when they do break loose, they slip/spin as opposed to hopping. I have no mounts / inserts. Stage 1 tunes only.

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion
Have had mine for a year and drove in every condition other than snow. More than likely to purchase again unless someone can convince me there’s a better A/S tire.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I changed to AS3+ from the stock Hankooks and from a hard start it’s better but definitely not perfect. You’d need to change to firmer engine mounts and dog bone insert. There are downsides to these mods as they increase NVH.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
I got alot more wheel hop going from the Potenza's to the A/S 3+. Fuel Economy suffered and a bit more road noise but I'll gladly trade all of that for the grip and security you get from the A/S 3+.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I spin mine all day long in 1st/2nd. Still like them though...amazing grip otherwise

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
stage 2 unitronic DSG. in the dry, I can spin for a split second in first gear, no more. in the wet, it spins for 2-3 seconds from a stop, then just sticks. i love the tires. i have 235's, not 225's.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I have spun mine once or twice when getting on it in 1st/2nd, probably depending on road conditions as well.
But still leagues better than any OEM tire that the car came with.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
They are fantastic. Had them on my previous Mk6 GTI & on my ex’s Mk7
I can’t wait to get a set on my car.

Sent from Winterfell using Ravens.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I had swapped the OEM Bridgestone RE97AS tires for A/S3+. They did a great job compared to the crap tires the car came with. Once I had some traction control coding done via VCDS I barely had any issue hooking them up with rare minimal spin. Got about 38k out of them before I replaced them with Indy 500's which have also done well.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I had swapped the OEM Bridgestone RE97AS tires for A/S3+. They did a great job compared to the crap tires the car came with. Once I had some traction control coding done via VCDS I barely had any issue hooking them up with rare minimal spin. Got about 38k out of them before I replaced them with Indy 500's which have also done well.
How much stickier are the 500's compared to the A/S3+?