GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wheel locks for Austins

jayman350

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking for recommendations for wheel lock sets for the stock Austins. There have been a rash of wheel thefts in my city and do not want to wake up to see my car on blocks any time soon.

Thread size is 14mm x 1.5 x 2" OAL (1" long thread), correct?
Do I want ball or cone seat?

I came across these with decent reviews, any idea if they will fit under the dust covers or should I just pick up a set of VW ones?
I don't want to cheap out, but I also don't need to spend double just to get ones w/ VW stamped on them.

Thanks

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
What's with all the secrecy?

I'm looking for the same info, so can you both please share the "secret" so that everyone on this forum can benefit, including your business!!

Thank You.

GTI2016

Ready to race!
Dont all new cars come with a locking lug already on the wheel from the factory?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Dont all new cars come with a locking lug already on the wheel from the factory?

No......the dealer could order the car with them or they install them before the sale but it's not the case on every car.
I had an Audi that came with the installed and I took them off, I'm not very good at remembering where I keep the key for those and if ident think that anybody wanted my wheels plus I'm sure the thrives have keys for every model

GTI2016

Ready to race!
No......the dealer could order the car with them or they install them before the sale but it's not the case on every car.
I had an Audi that came with the installed and I took them off, I'm not very good at remembering where I keep the key for those and if ident think that anybody wanted my wheels plus I'm sure the thrives have keys for every model

Well thats a kick in the nuts... Thinking that my new wheels could be stolen at any time isnt very comforting... Ill check out those ecs links... thanks!

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I think people were just PM-ing so they could sell a set of locks they had....that's what I tried anyways, lol.
I have a couple extra OEM sets IIRC

ah I understand.. I was looking to see if anyone researched another type of wheel lock. not the VW ones. I was looking for these BMW ones I saw that were made like the security torx ones.

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
You can get either Mcgard or Gorilla wheel locks for around $30 off Amazon. Gorilla wheel locks are more easily bypassed since the security code is on the exterior of the lock and can be undone by a smaller socket being hammered onto it. Mcgard cannot since the pattern of the lock is on the face of the bolt but these are more susceptible to breaking since there is not a large contact area between the lock and the keyed socket.

I am interested in an OEM set as well if priced competitively. Anyone that has a set for sale let me know.

GTI2016

Ready to race!