GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel hop / thumping after installing new tires

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
OK, ever since installing Conti EntremeContact Sport tires I've had a 'thumping' on hard launches. I'm assuming that this is an extreme wheel hop situation with the tires hooking up and slipping.

Here is a quick video which I tried to capture the sound... you can hopefully hear 3 quick thumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfxFPr5x8TM

Is this wheel hop or something else?

Relavent mods:
JB4
Eibach Pro Springs
034 Dogbone

This is on a 2017 GTI Sport w/ DSG

Thanks!

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Idk what that is, but if my car made that sound I would drive like a grandma for quite some time. lol

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Have you set any vcds mods? Like the “starting vibration reduction”?

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
Have you set any vcds mods? Like the “starting vibration reduction”?

I actually tried setting it last night to ‘deactivated’ and it didn’t make a huge difference. If anything, it extended the duration of hopping.

It is certainly tied to when the tires lose traction, just would like to prevent it now (besides just being gentler with the throttle).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dah90

Ready to race!
I had the exact same noise when I would loose traction on hard acceleration when the roads were wet with the stock bridgestones. It scared the crap out of me every time it happened. Since I changed my tires to the michelin AS3+ I have not experienced this at all and I have put almost 10,000 miles on the new tires. My car is stock though, so maybe the Michelin’s just get that much better traction than stock causing me to not experience the noise anymore.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I've got stock everything (incl. Bridgestone stock all seasons) except for a JB4 on map 1. My wheel hop only gets that bad if it's wet outside or if I full-on floor it from a dead stop, but it doesn't look like you floored it.

I agree you might want to check on your 034 dog bone insert.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
Thanks guys. I'm going to check the 034 tonight and order some new mounts. Just in time to throw on the winter wheels :(

Probably a loaded question, but any recommendations?

Misslauren82

Ready to race!
Yes - I mounted my Winter Tires (Michelin Alpin PA4's) and started having the same issue. Hehe.

I actually flashed back to the non high torque stage 1.5 file - it was too much for the winter conditions. Helped slightly.

I think the summer rubber and lighter/wider wheels spoiled me.

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
I haven’t given into the winters yet!

Ok, here is the 034 insert, pretty sure it didn’t look like this when I installed it. I had to pry the damn thing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Oh wow. Is that the version 1 or 2?

They made a second version right?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I knew that there were 2 versions that had different shapes, depending on the shape of the stock mount on the vehicle. As you said.

But maybe I misunderstood, I thought that they also has a second design, newer than the original ones that they produced.