GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What tone is the drivers side horn? (Low or high)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Any dealer parts department should be able to tell you, or just remove it and look at the p/n.
5Q0951221D Low
5Q0951223D High

Did you drive through deep water?

Markio

Ready to race!
Any dealer parts department should be able to tell you, or just remove it and look at the p/n.
5Q0951221D Low
5Q0951223D High

Did you drive through deep water?

Thanks! I have the part numbers I just want to buy the correct horn without removing the bumper first. Yes, it flooded several months ago.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I lost both of my horns on my MK5. Water got me when I drove through about 6 inches of water and it splashed into them. I can't remember which horn is high and which is low but the dealer has the schematics for them. You may also be able to tell which one is which by the sound of the one that's still good. I "think" 221D is driver's side.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Easy to install, according to the instructions. I'm not so sure about cutting off the connector. They went to so much trouble to make a custom harness, could they not have figured a way to make an adapter? And they want you to cut close to the connector. I'm pretty sure that's so you can more easily crimp on new pins if you go back to stock. Do they figure you can handle that task easier than leaving more wire so you can use butt connectors, or is it for safety reasons because the horn circuit is live, at least with the key on, and if a butt connector comes off and touches a ground (if it's the positive one) it's sparky time? I figure the latter, they need to make sure you don't cause a fire. IIWM, there are a lot of air horns available if the wiring can handle them. My C3 'Vette had only one horn, and I installed airs.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Ahh, looks like ACC is an issue:
MK7 Golf/Golf R customers with "slat/bar" grilles must convert to a Honeycomb grille for proper clearance. MK7.5 Golf/Golf R customers with "slat/bar" grilles must convert to a Honeycomb grille for proper clearance as well, however, these only fit WITHOUT Adaptive Cruise Control/Forward Collision Systems. See the following options below:

• ECS Badgeless Lighting Package Honeycomb Grille - With Chrome Strip - ES2794987
  • ECS Badgeless Lighting Package Honeycomb Grille - With Red Strip - ES2794986
  • Bremmen Parts GTI Lighting Package Honeycomb Grille - With Chrome Strip - ES2794985
  • Bremmen Parts GTI Lighting Package Honeycomb Grille - With Red Strip - ES2794984
  • OEM GTI Lighting Package Honeycomb Grille - With Red Strip - ES2737892
  • OEM GTI Non-Lighting Package Honeycomb Grille - With Red Strip - ES2737349

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Easy to install, according to the instructions. I'm not so sure about cutting off the connector. They went to so much trouble to make a custom harness, could they not have figured a way to make an adapter? And they want you to cut close to the connector. I'm pretty sure that's so you can more easily crimp on new pins if you go back to stock. Do they figure you can handle that task easier than leaving more wire so you can use butt connectors, or is it for safety reasons because the horn circuit is live, at least with the key on, and if a butt connector comes off and touches a ground (if it's the positive one) it's sparky time? I figure the latter, they need to make sure you don't cause a fire. IIWM, there are a lot of air horns available if the wiring can handle them. My C3 'Vette had only one horn, and I installed airs.

I thought the same thing - astonishing to go through such an effort to make a "model specific" horn set and still require splicing.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I thought the same thing - astonishing to go through such an effort to make a "model specific" horn set and still require splicing.
Yea... I would describe this as laziness. I'm sure with an hour or two of research they could have found the mating connector for the horn harness on the vehicle. Unsatisfactory.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Don't think you're going to get 3 tone air horn out of it, I think there are some youtube vids of the Super tones. They are much louder than stock though, and you don't expect that sound coming from a VW most times.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Don't think you're going to get 3 tone air horn out of it, I think there are some youtube vids of the Super tones. They are much louder than stock though, and you don't expect that sound coming from a VW most times.

Trains are 175 db, and you need a decent size accumulator tank and air compressor wired directly to the battery to operate it continuously. A former co-worker had one on his car. About 25 years he demonstrated it in the company parking lot at work and set off about a dozen car alarms. Fun stuff.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I just thought, all Golfs '17 and up have the front radar behind the VW emblem, so I think you might need to have a dealer align the sensor unless it goes back in same position.